1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

backup camera / IPS failure on prius Plugin

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by pawiOnline, Sep 7, 2014.

1. pawiOnline

pawiOnline Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Bought my Prius plugin in may 2013. some wwwke ago, my backup camera had problems. When I start the prius and put it in reverse, the camera initally will work for about 20 seconds. Then the entire screen becomes black and remains black if I put the car into the forward gear. About a minute later, the screen will come up again. Sometimes, at that point the screen shows a little blurry for a few seconds.

Since the camera initially works, this seems nothing to do with the hardware. Also, because the screen remains black after putting the car into forward gear, it seems that the issue has something to do with a bug in the computer. More precise: because the screen is sometimes a bit blurry after this happened, it seems something that effects the kernal of the firmware. That was my conclusion so far.

I went to the dealer and they said: "The whole navigation computer needs to be replaced". Although the car is only one and a half year old, the dealer declared this not to be unther warranty, because I drove more than 100.000km with this car already. This is quite a downer from Toyota. In the first place because I do not beleve replacement is neccesairy. But in the second place because is is no warranty. Like you buy a $500 smartphone and some pixels fail within a year. And then the dealer says the phone is out of warranty because you have called more then 200 hours. Shame on you Toyota!

Anyway. I complained and explained that there are good reasons to think that the hardware is not the problem, and asked the dealer to reset the computer. They tried and it did'nt work. Although I doubt if they actually reset this thing, because all the presets, but also the bluetooth connections and city history remain intact. Then they offered a software update. It turns out that this software update affects the map data for navigation, but not the software itself.

Now these are my questions:
    Is the computer unit thet handles the Intelligent Parking Assist (IPS) the same as the unit that handles navigation? (I heard the prius has 7 computer units)
    Since I noticed that the navigation unit doesn't clear cities you have selected, it might be the case that this causes out of memory problems. It there a way to reset the frquently used city list?
    Is there a procedure to factory reset the whole navigation and IPS system?

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :eek:I can understand your frustration. I have no idea what could cause your problem, but doubt it's related to the integrated display that the dealer states, needs to be replaced out of warranty. Regarding your warranty, if your vehicle is out of warranty, I understand your dealers position. Backup cameras are a nice feature, but before I'd spend a lot of money out of pocket, I'd live with the existing problem. Good luck.

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm inclined to suspect the hardware in this case. CMOS and CCD camera chips become quite warm after a few seconds, and if not properly heat-sinked, can cause circuit failure. I'd try swapping it out, at least for a test.

4. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    I've seen significant delays in the display when first starting up. It's due to the Bluetooth handshaking and downloading of messages, and tends to take up the CPUs' attention. If you hit the Start button and wait about 30 seconds (after "Transfer complete" appears).

By any chance, did you change phones in the last few weeks?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much is a new unit? you might want to look around salvage yards, ebay, etc. for a used unit. it's a bummer, i agree.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try disconnecting your neg 12v cable for a few minutes, in hopes of a reset.

7. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OP states that he has 2013 PiP with auto parking. Auto parking was discontinued in the US after 2011. He's not from the US. Since his location states that he's from NL, possibly Netherlands eBay is not going to help.
    Is the backup camera the only problem? How about the rest of the nav unit?

8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Since the backup camera and almost all the computers are running off the 12V battery, I'd look into checking that out first. The 12V battery may have a soft short in it.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you for clarifying that. i was thinking north where?:p