1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. kkayser

kkayser Junior Member

In December 2011, I replaced my OEM 12v battery with an Optima. This summer, I drove 20 miles to my destination. After 2 or so hours, I started home. After about 1000 feet, the car stalled. After I got it going again, I noticed that the HV battery was down to no bars. I limped to the dealer (20 miles) who said the 12v battery was defective. I was dubious. So, I took a new battery home with me. Turned everything off then back on and watched the HV battery indicator. It lost bars one by one right before my eyes! I then disconnected the old battery and connected the new one with jumper cables left everything overnight. In the morning the HV bars were where they were the night before. I replaced the battery. No problems since.

However, I can find nothing wrong with the (3 year) old Optima. I have not charged it since I removed it. The open circuit voltage is 12.7, the 95 amp load voltage is 11.0. This looks like a good battery to me.

Does anyone know what was going on here? Replacing the Optima cured the problem, but the Optima tests good.

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just like anything else, a battery can be intermittent.
    So can the connections TO it.......and replacing the battery "reseats" those connections.

There was a time period when there was a "bad batch" of the Optima batteries but I don't remember when that was.

3. kkayser

kkayser Junior Member

The connections were good. I'll try bumping the battery on the bench to see if I can detect an intermittent. In any event I don't recommend Optima batteries for a Prius. Furthermore, unless you buy from a local dealer, warranty service is highly problematic.

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    THAT might be more important than what kind of battery that you buy.
    EVERYTHING has a bad one show up occasionally.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anecdotally, there seem to be more problems with optima than any other company reported here.

GregP507 and Former Member 68813 like this.
  6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Give it to me. I will test it in my car and let you know.

7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's not so hard to believe. Some companies fear competition from companies with more durable products than their own, and buy them out. Eventually the durability just goes away.

B&D bought out a company in Germany who made long-lasting power-tools, and sold them under a venerable old name they owned; Dewalt. It seems to me that the first ones were nearly indestructible, but lately, they seem more like yellow B&D power tools.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i couldn't agree more, having owned both, and no longer buying/using either. now, it's bosch, porter cable or various japanese tools.

#8 bisco, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  9. kkayser

kkayser Junior Member

Bosch, Makita, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, De Walt. I have several of each, and they are all excellent. Some Ridgid tools sold by Home Depot are excellent and carry a lifetime service contract including batteries. The drill I like best is a 1/2" Metabo.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lifetime batteries? now you're talking my language!:p

11. Sajish

Sajish New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey there......
    i have a problem and wondering whether any body could figure it out. My prius would not start. I took it to toyota and they checked the battery and said it was ok. They did a drain test and said there was no drainage. They returned the car and said every thing was fine. The next day the car would not start. I jump started it. What do you think is the problem. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated

12. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    12V battery is dead. How old is the current 12V battery? Unless you left an interior light on overnight.

Did you see them “test” it? People (dealerships included) are not above lying.

Is my inverter coolant pump slowly failing? | PriusChat
    Read Post #5 (how to apply a load for a more meaningful measurement of 12V battery health)
    Read Post #8 (Battery SOC (State of Charge) chart and 12V AGM compatible smart chargers to consider buying).​

#12 exstudent, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019