1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best oil filter for 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by davidhuff, Apr 19, 2010.

1. davidhuff

davidhuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Who makes the best oil filter for the 2010 Prius?

2. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Toyota TRD oil filter is probably the best currently available. Mobil 1 and K&N don't have anything (yet) for 2010 Prius.

3. Creaky

Creaky Still motorin...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The part # for the TRD synthetic oil filter is:

PTR43-52090 and should be about $20 or less from your dealer.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would sure like to see someone post a UOA that used a TRD filter. It would be nice to compare that with a regular filter with everything else being close to the same.

5. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They're actually much less via the Interwebs if you have the lead-time. Mine cost about $24 over the counter AND they had to order it from Portland, OR. On-line, thru a part-ordering service on the website OF THE SAME DEALERSHIP, they're about $12.

1 person likes this.
  6. davidhuff

davidhuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks guys for the great information.

7. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In my oil change III history, I used (from memory) Fram, and (???).

I think there were two - and it was just what was available.

That said, Toyota now goes 10K for a replacement - so now it would be Toyota filters (because you have to trust they looked at this).

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No one know for sure, just like motor oil. A lot of opinions on what is best or worst "because that's what my grandfather said." I don't know of any recent studies on long term engine health using different filters or brands of oil, although there may be some. Any brand of filter and any brand of motor oil that meets the correct API standard and has the correct viscosity rating should meet the warranty requirements.

Toyota filters are available on line for $45 per case of 10. Most of us are using Toyota branded or Mobil 1 0W20 oil. I use Toyota filters and Mobil 1.

9. davidhuff

davidhuff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Best place to buy TRD OIL FILTERS?

10. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The synthetic media filters like The TRD, Amsoil, and Mobil-1, filters are considered to be better because the synthetic media is able to remove smaller wear particles from the oil than the cheaper paper element filters do. They also do not clog as quickly, which is a serious consideration because engines have much smaller filter capacities than they used to. My occasionally used John Deere Lawn Tractor's 2 cylinder Kawasaki engine has an oil filter about 3 times the size of my sisters Subaru Forester, which has a 6 cylinder engine that is driven every day.

I almost never do only the 'Minimum' required with machinery. If you lease your car you have that luxury, because whatever damage you do, the next guy has to deal with, never you.

11. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Tumbleweed nailed it!

If any particular oil filter was better than all others, wouldn't the manufacturer document that for all of us? Unfortunately, all we have are opinions and they are like noses. Most everybody has one.

12. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

WHY, Oh WHY, would the car manufacturer want to tell you anything that could extend the life of your car, and delay the day you need to spend Tens Of Thousands of Dollars of your hard earned money on another car they can profit from ? :confused:

These are CAPITALISTS ! They Are Not Benevolent Caregivers, they are Always Looking Out To Make A Buck, and they have You in their Crosshairs.

13. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're right about the car manufacturer. But the filter manufacturer who makes the best filter will certainly declare so. (Of course, the ones who make crappy ones will lay claim to making the best also...) Gotta love capitalism, eh?

14. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I picked up a TRD one (about 3x the cost of a regular one). Let me just say the unit is a far more impressive than the OEM ones as the paper are thicker, it is also held together with two nice aluminum piece. Is it worth the extra money? Probably not, but I feel better that I am using the best anyway. It's like buying store brand vs named brands

15. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's my picture again... Like Spiderman, I'd like to see a UOA comparing the TRD vs OEM Toyota filters. For now, I am using the TRD. For those seeking TRD filters, go to toyotapartsoutlet.com for free shipping until 4/30/10. Or if you're from Connecticut, lynchtoyota.com will ship parts for free, within the state.

Attached Files:

Dino33ca and eric1234 like this.
  16. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Where on toyotapartsoutlet.com are you finding these? I just did a search and these specific Prius filters didn't appear.

17. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How would that actually work? I'm looking at all my UOAs for two different oil filters on two different Prius's and one Camry. It's not at all clear how I can factor out 1) Any oil filter effect, 2) oil changes--since it's really hard to change a cartridge filter without changing the oil--, and 3) actual changes in engine wear.

For example between the 2007 Prius OEM filter and the AmsOil filter that replaced it, the copper went from 79 ppm to 22 ppm. Yet the iron went up from 8 ppm to 15 ppm. At the end of the day this info tells me about the vast differences between the OEM oil initially put in the car and the AmsOil Signature 0W-30 that replaced it. If the filter had an effect, how would I tell?

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Careful, don't throw science into this.

With my Prius and my FJ, after experimenting with different oil filters (Mobil 1, TRD, Fram, NAPA, etc) I determined that based on used oil analysis, the dealership oil filter is a good bet

19. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What did you look at that helped you figure this out?
    Previous dissections of new oil filters clearly put FRAM at the bottom of the quality ladder and the Toyota filters very high, so your independent experimentation would be a neat complement to these teardowns.

20. lenalik2000

lenalik2000 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSI--fzSVfs"]YouTube - 2010 Toyota Prius oil change. How to change oil part1[/ame]