1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best spark plugs for 05 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shepdawg, May 14, 2014.

1. shepdawg

shepdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all, I am coming up to 120,000 miles on my 2005 Prius. It's my understanding that the spark plugs are recommended to be replaced at that time. I remember reading an article many years ago where someone tested multiple different spark plugs and found some of the multi ground electrode type significantly increased fuel economy (around 8 mpg increase over stock replacement). Any advice would be appreciated.

2. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

I really doubt that you can find a plug that will give you an increase in mileage compared to the stock plug. There is a lot of snake oil in spark plugs and oil. As long as the spark is sufficient to burn the air/fuel mixture in a smooth manner you are good to go. Extra electrodes in a low compression engine such as the Prius are not going to do much other than cost you more money. What you should do is remove your plugs and note how they are firing. Are they oil fouled or are they burning the fuel well. You should see an even medium tan to dark brown color. If they are black then they have been burning oil. 120,000 miles is a lot of mileage for a plug. Be careful when taking out the plugs to not allow dirt and other stuff to fall into the plug holes. Then hand turn the plugs when you first put them in to insure that you do not strip them. They need to be seated but we are not talking a lot of torque. I am not sure of the specs but hand tight plus 10 to 15 ftlbs of torque. Inspect the connectors to insure they are in good shape. Be gentle.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you find that paper on MPG increase, let me know. Generally, multi-electrode plugs are considered just a gimmick, but it's conceivable that some users see benefits and some users see drawbacks as every engine model has a different combustion chamber configuration. I recently posted old "news" about a double tipped Denso plug that is energy efficient for sure.

Fuel efficient spark plug | PriusChat

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The proper plug for your car is this one:

NGK (4996) IFR5T11 Laser Iridium Spark Plug,

wjtracy likes this.
  5. shepdawg

shepdawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you guys for the info.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK thanks I just ordered 4...

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or Denso SK16R11

mateyb likes this.
  8. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will say there are plugs that do very well but the system I'm talking about is more than just plugs. Your going to have to get a plasma spark and will need to make and weld the proper plug design. Then of course test it. The ignition module will have be upgraded or changed out to supply the plasma. After that adjusting the fuel ratio and computer is nex. Redoing the fuel mapping to a leaner burn.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And what would be the point?

SM-N900P ?

10. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius