1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better to warm up ICE during fast or slow driving?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Mormegil, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    I just installed the EV mod, mostly for when I switch parking spaces where I drive for about 30 secodns (tandem parking).

But realized, I have a downhill drive to the freeway entrance (about 1 mile away).

So with the EV button I have the option of warming up the ICE during the drive to the on-ramp (after the usual 7 seconds after startup) or warming it up on the freeway (Los Angeles at the 405, so that means not more than 50 mph or stop and go).

My commute is about 10 miles, if that matters. It doesn't give the car much time to warm up, at least when traffic is flowing.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mormegil @ Oct 11 2007, 12:21 AM) [snapback]524048[/snapback]</div>
    My data suggests 1-2 miles at 25 mph works best if you don't have an engine block heater. With a heater, it is not so important.

Bob Wilson

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't drive it in EV mode apart from the car shuffle bit. The sooner it starts warm up the more of your journey can be in glide conditions. I reverse out my driveway in EV for quiet reasons then switch it of right after selecting drive.
    Better to warm the engine under light loads rather than highway driving.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with Bob, very gentle for the first few minutes (from a cold/non-EBH start) is best as the car is programmed to keep the rpms low while the emissions controls do their thing. If you push you really drain the battery as the car keeps the ICE throttled back. If you REALLY push you can override the throttle-back, but at the cost of very inefficient ICE use/high fuel flow.

Even with a warm/pre-warmed ICE you need to give the car about 30seconds to figure out that everything is, indeed, warm and it will then get out of S1....then you're good to go.

5. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Sounds good folks. Thanks for the replies.

One more question. I go into the parking garage after a hill, so I'm usually at green SOC. I'm usually automatically in stealth mode at that point. Is there any reason not to force EV mode in such a case? It's only about 1 minute of driving or so.

When I leave 8 hours later, I have to go back up that hill in stop and go traffic, so the ICE will be running to warm up, and also recharge the battery.

Thanks

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you're not climbing 3 floors in the garage I don't see any reason not to hit the EV button...I would.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wish *everybody* in parking garages would! Love being in there when everybody starts up their cold cars to leave. *cough*

8. Mormegil

Mormegil Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 11 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]524188[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. As a matter of fact, it's underground parking, and I go down 2 floors to park.

Tried it today, ended with green bars (7 or whatever is the usual max).