1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought 2004 Prius and Won't Start Now

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by maddalana, May 7, 2014.

1. maddalana

maddalana New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I know this has been asked a million times (I've searched) but I haven't seen the answer I need yet.

I bought a used 2004 Prius (180k miles) and it worked fine the day we test drove it and when we picked it up, but then it decided to give us some problems. The touch console comes on when we power it up, but none of the dash lights come on (no speedometer no nothing) and the car won't do anything but go in N or P. Obviously I thought it was the 12v battery but I had someone check it and it runs fine then I checked it myself in maint. mode and it gets perfect numbers (12.4-12.8 and over 14v while charging).

However, the only way I can get it to work is if I disconnect the large white (6 PIN I think) connector from the 12v, leaving it out for a minute, and putting it back in. A few times even that did not work. I don't have anything to scan for codes, but we took it to an auto parts store and they didn't see any codes.

The hybrid battery has been replaced (they said in August).

Only one person in our town deals with them and he's out until Monday and I have to get to work tomorrow. Any suggestions?

THANKS!!!

EDIT: We can get it to drive but still no lights in the dash.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what is the vin# on your car? You can look up the service history at the Toyota website, under the owners portal. Hopefully that'll shed some answers to your problems.

The car probably has multiple issues. You not being able to start the car is a big issue. The reason it starts after you unplug the battery is because the entire car's system resets itself and erases what's in memory. After the car starts and you drive it, the car will log the DTC error and won't allow you to start it again until you disconnect the battery again. The reason the autoshop can't pull a code is because everytime you disconnect the battery, the codes go away until the car ECU logs them again.

The dash not lighting up can be a combination meter fault, there might be a warranty from Toyota to cover that. However based on your car's year and mileage, I'm not sure if it'll be in effect.

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mileage doesn't matter, just that its been in service less than 9 years. I'm not sure when its considered to be in service, but probably all '04 and most '05 are disqualified by now.

When my combination meter died, the car started and drove just fine, only issue was I couldn't see how fast I was going. :p I also had to hold the power button down for several seconds to get it to turn off.

When did you buy it? Was there any kind of warranty or guarantee? How long was the car off when you checked the 12v battery voltage? It needs several hours for the charge to level out (even a pretty dead one will show acceptable numbers right after turning off the car).

uart likes this.
  4. maddalana

maddalana New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

We bought the car yesterday from a private seller.

It was about an hour after shutting it down that I checked it in the maint. mode, so I guess that would make sense that it was still charged up.

I checked the maint. records (thank you! very cool to know about!) The Break light and ABS light was on earlier today when I turned the car on twice and records indicate that being a problem in the past but they replaced the master cylinder in March.

I'm going to contact the seller (who said they would absorb all repair costs) and ask him about the combination meter. He apparently used to be a used car salesman and has a mechanic friend.

Thank you so much for the quick responses!

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This car is not something your average mechanic will have the expertise to fix. There are many computers that monitors the car and will require a minivci and techstream software to diagnose the car's problem codes.

If the seller truly has a mechanic friend that's knowledgeable, the car would not have ended up at the dealer in March for the master cylinder replacement.

I'm suspecting the car has other issues that can only be addressed if the codes are pulled when they surface again. That will give you a better indication of what you're up against.

SM-N900P ?

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Combination Meter Warranty Enhancement Notice for 2004 to certain 2009 model year Prius vehicles:
    9 years with no mileage limitation from the date of first use (interpreted as when did first owner buy the Prius) or before September 30, 2013, whichever is longer.

2004 Prius + 9 additional years = 2013; out of extended warranty coverage.
    If the first owner purchased in December 2004, 9 years later would be December 2013.
    Possible first owner purchased sometime in 2005 too? If so, you might still be in luck. You will have to find out when.
    If out of luck, beg/plead w/ a Toyota dealership and Toyota Customer Care to give you a break on being over by 5 months (using December 2004 in the example above).
    Best case scenario-100% covered.
    2nd best-Toyota covers part, you pay for labor but at the cheaper warranty rate.

7. dragonrand

dragonrand Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

For what it's worth, this problem first occurred to me 3 weeks past the 9-year mark on my 2005, in early December. I scheduled it in at the dealer, and after checking with corporate they ultimately declined to grace me in under the extended warranty. Begging and pleading with Toyota Corporate didn't change anything for me. I'm still occasionally driving with no instruments when this problem rears its head.