1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought 2012 PiP base today - charger never used? Anything special to do?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by EricPIP, Jun 8, 2014.

1. EricPIP

EricPIP New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First post here. Impressed with the helpful community you all have. It was very handy for us in the buying process.

My wife and I have been shopping for a used standard Prius for a bit. I was thinking a 2007-09 would have been just fine. We'd owned a 2005 a few years ago and loved it but parted with it. But our local dealership had a blowout price on a 2012 base PiP with just at 30k miles so we jumped on it. Most of our mileage is in town and short trips so it makes sense for us.

We got it home today and noticed a couple things that lead us to believe the previous owner didn't bother charging it. Like maybe ever. Weird.
    1) If I'm reading the stats screen correctly, it suggests that only 11 gallons have been saved by running in EV mode. Almost all the miles are HV.
    2) The charger in the trunk looks unused. (Do they give you a new one as part of the Certified business?)

We charged it up tonight. Range says 11.4. Anything special to know or do given these circumstances? Or just plug it in, charge it up when needed and drive it?

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Reset one of the two EV Driving Ratio screen to track your usage. The other can be kept as" lifetime" ratio.

EricPIP likes this.
  3. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Smart move going with the PIP. Charge as often as possible. EV mode isn't free, but it seems like it is.

EricPIP likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! they probably bought it for a hov lane use and /or didn't have an outlet at home/condo/apartment.
    maybe charged on the road when available. you wouldn't get a new eves unless the old one was damaged or missing. all the best!(y)

EricPIP likes this.
  5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When I bought my PiP, the cable was still in its package.

EricPIP likes this.
  6. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What gas mileage was the car getting before you plugged it in?

7. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would say "charge as often as appropriate". They say the battery life is reduced more quickly if it sits at full charge for long periods especially in the heat. So charge it today if you are going to use it, more than once if you are going to use it more than once. However, your first charge of the day is best done with the timer over night (ie early in the AM). I set mine to finish at 5 AM it is usually done shortly after 4 AM.