1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake clicking noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ethree, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Notaclue

Notaclue New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    God, I wish I could do that but I am technically inept. I could record it with my phone but have no idea how to post it.
    I have this too, I think it just started but maybe I just never noticed it (I usually have the radio on at moderately high volume). I can't imagine that it's something that would cause the front end to be replaced! Mine actually sounds like it's connected to the brake pedal rather than something outside the car. I only have 18,000 miles on the car so it had better not need a front end. It shouldn't even need brakes at this point. Anyway if anyone gets an answer please post it.

2. mytiels2001

mytiels2001 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Did anyone ever figure out what causes the clicking and if it's a problem? I have less than 500 miles on my car and it started doing it today, which it had not previously. It's also making a loud strange noise when I press down on the brake pedal. Then it clicks again when I take my foot off. I am saddened to see that so many people have this problem and have taken their car in with seemingly no resolution.

3. Surnp

Surnp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a 2008 Prius this summer and didn't notice this until about a month ago. It seems to occur when turning to the right and pressing the brake. I've started braking and then releasing the brake before turning right and I do not hear the noise. When pulling into my gravel drive which is at a downhill angle, I have to press the brakes all the way down the drive. It does make that noise and sounds like it's rattling going downhill brakes applied till I stop the car. I thought CV joints at first but if that were true, I should hear the noise even without applying the brakes. Has anyone discovered what this noise is? I've wondered if something is loose with the brakes as this seems to be the only time I hear the noise when they are applied.

I took a trip of almost 600 miles last week and it was fine. I'm at a loss as to what this noise is.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could it be a pebble in there somewhere?

5. Surnp

Surnp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi bisco. I'm almost thinking it has something to do with the regenerating brakes themselves. If I press the brake peddle all the way down, the noise goes away. It doesn't happen unless I'm coming out of my gravel drive which is uphill and slants to the left. Then when I drive onto the street the car slightly rocks as I'm getting on the pavement. I hear it then but not again unless I'm slightly breaking while turning.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    almost sounds like the traction control.
    how many miles on her?
    are the tyres all the same?
    tyre pressure?

7. Surnp

Surnp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I currently have ~132,000 miles on the car. All 4 tires are Michelin Harmony and the air pressure is set to factory recommendations.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    keep in mind, the regenerative 'brakes' is the motor generator in the tranny, and not the actual brakes on the wheels.

steveinsaugus likes this.
  9. steveinsaugus

steveinsaugus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

How is the ticking noise now? any update, having the same exact problem!!

10. steveinsaugus

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Good to know, one mechanic said its a caliper part. Still trying to figure out what it is. Only happens during turning and braking at slow speeds and especially down a hill. Thanks everyone in advance.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did he tear down the wheels for a good look at everything?

steveinsaugus likes this.
  12. steveinsaugus

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bringing it to another dealership will post finding, thanks for tip!

bisco likes this.
  13. steveinsaugus

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In regards to the braking noise, its was the Brake Actuator. The noise is cosmetic and dosent effect the function. Just annoying on those turns out of a driveway.