1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake Lights Not Consistently Lighting up with Very Light Braking

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by peterjmc, Dec 10, 2010.

1. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    On my way into work this morning I noticed that my brake lights don't always light up under very light braking. Has anyone else noticed this on their 2010?

Are there individual switches for the brake light and activating of the brake system?

I find myself doing a lot of very light braking in heavy to medium traffic.

I'll be going into the dealership for my 1,000 mile check-up soon and be sure they are aware of this.

2. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a switch mounted atop the brake pedal arm that can be adjusted, but if you're going to the dealer soon, I'd just ask them to adjust it to activate a little sooner. It's just the lights (and cruise deactivation), nothing to do with the braking itself.

1 person likes this.
  3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks Jim.

I agree; this has nothing to do with braking itself. I can definitely feel that the brake is being applied when pushing on the pedal.

4. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The brake light switch is adjustable, in discreet notches.

Remove the panel under the dash, and find the switch that's a little plastic thing touching the top of the brake pedal arm.

Whatever tool they gave the assembly line worker to set up the switch was incorrect.

Grab the plastic body (where the wires come out) and twist it about 45 deg. then it will slide in and out. back it out one notch and twist it back to lock it.

Then the switch will have the right sensitivity.

I found that one notch back out from the original position is about perfect.

3 people like this.