1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Brake pads, serpentine belt, tires for '07

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by anothergirl, Feb 4, 2013.

1. anothergirl

anothergirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi,I just had my 2007 in for inspection. The dealer tells me front brake pads are low and rotors need resurfacing ($326.00), need new tires (2 for $270-$300, align $99.00), and serpentine belt is cracked ($109.00).

Re the brakes, he said that I was in the red on the green/yellow/red thickness demo they have on the checkout counter. From doing some reading on this site, I learned that brake pads aren't generally replaced before 100k. I called an independent guy who seemed knowledgeable about Prius. He was surprised the pads would need replacing this early. I have to admit I might be an aggressive braker. I didn't think I was THAT aggressive though. Just how aggressive is aggressive to have pads wear at 68k? Do you think I could really be that bad of a last-minute braker? Or is the dealer is just trying to sell me stuff?

They also said I need a serpentine belt for $109.00. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and can probably do this myself with the right tools. How long can I let the belt go "with cracks"? Should I get right on it? Also, is it ok to get a belt from a local auto parts store? I wanted to order it from Metro Toyota Parts but shipping is almost as much as the belt.

Re tires - I have Mavis discount tire warehouse near me and have been looking at their website. I don't know what the heck to get! Whatever I have now are the all-seasons that came on the car and 2 snows I bought a few years ago. Can anyone recommend what I may want to look at that won't cost a fortune but do pretty well in the northeast

Thanks.

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, lets see if we can help you.

The brakes:
    I don't doubt that your rotors need turned b/c of where you live (salt). I would say that's a safe bet. As far as I'm concerned, if you turn the rotors, you should put new pads on. If you have been an agressive braker, then it would not be surprising to need to replace the pads. As far as being in the red, I would ask to see them (the pads). Nevertheless, you could easily replace your brakes and rotors for less than $326.00. There are several threads that discuss it here. The main thing is to disconnect the 12V neg lead before you start to ensure you don't shoot the piston out of the caliper when changing the pads.

Serpentine belt:
    I replaced my serpentine belt w/ one I purchased @ Advanced Auto parts. No problems with that. It is an easy job to DIY and several threads on this site cover it in detail. (hint: search google for Prius serpentine and look for Prius Chat results). It took me all of 1 hour to change it. Very simple.
    How long can you let it go? If it has cracks, its a gamble. I could tell you 1 yr or 1 week. Its hard to tell. A new belt is good insurance (since it operates the engine water pump). If its cracked, my advice is, change it.

Here's a good link for it (scroll to the bottom).
    100K maint - 2

Tires:
    I cannot advise you on tires b/c I don't really know the weather in Albany. Good all season tires should suffice for most people but the more agressive the tread, the higher the rolling resistance and the lesser the mpg. I'm sure others will chime in on tires.

anothergirl likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you consider other Toyota parts that you might need in the future, such as air/oil filters, cabin air filters, drain plug gaskets, wiper refills, etc. You are right that it doesn't make much sense to order one part over the web, but if you buy multiple parts you will find that the shipping charge gets leveraged over those parts so it makes more sense.

I would suggest that you replace the serpentine drive belt no later than at 100K miles. Obviously, the sooner the better from the point of view of eliminating that as an issue that causes you to be stuck along the roadside some day.

If you are able to replace the serpentine drive belt yourself, then I would expect you would be able to inspect the front disk pads yourself. Remove the front tires and look at the disk pad thickness, both outer and inner. The disk caliper has an inspection hole that allows you to see a bit of the inner pad. The minimum usable thickness is 1 mm while a new pad will have 11 mm thickness. Do not count the pad steel backing plate when determining pad thickness.

anothergirl and dave77 like this.
  4. anothergirl

anothergirl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the responses. Very helpful. I called a discount tire place today and asked them about brakes while I was at it. They recommend replacing the rotors. They said they don't resurface anymore because it reduces them too much. Is this true or sales BS? Their price for front brake pads and rotors is $150. $200 for front and back if I bring it in this week. My nephew wants to do it and will only charge me for the parts. I'm tempted but I've read here that Prius brakes are different. If he knows how to change for other cars, should he be able to do an '07 Prius (with your 12V neg lead suggestion usnavy).

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, he should be able to do it. The procedure is no different (except for removal of the 12V neg lead (which is extremely important)). $150 is a good price for rotors and pads as well. I'm guessing parts alone would be $75 or more. The brakes are no different except they have an electric pressure pump that can come on (which is why the 12V neg lead is disconnected). Mechanically, the front brakes are just like any other cars.

I have completed brake jobs on both of my Prius' and did not encounter any problems.

PriusGuy32, Britprius and anothergirl like this.