1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bridgestone 950 installed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 200Volts, May 20, 2005.

1. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bridgestone 950 TIRES installed
    I tried to post this a few days ago, but I think I messed up:
    I just had Bridgestone 950 tires installed on my stock rims. Tires are 185/65-15 (stock size). The Bridgestone National Sales manager reccomended these over the G009.
    Inital Impressions:
    RIDE- firmer at 32psi then stocks at 40 psi, especially below 65mph
    Stability-excellent low and 80 mph stability.
    NOISE- slightly more then stock, not annoying.
    MPG- slight drop on first tank of about 3mpg (rough estimate)

I'll write a detailed review in 2 weeks after 2k miles. I measered and photographed all my old tires at 40k miles (about 0.1" of tread left). These results are with my front air dams in the forward-improved position.

2. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

I went to Tire Rack to buy some Goodyear Comfortreds, got talked into buying Bridgestone Turanza's. They were louder, dropped the MPG 18%! Pulled those dogs off well inside the 30 day return period, got my Comfortreds instead. 1-2 MPG loss, wonderfully quiet and luxury car ride. Even after 5,000 miles it is still a riding pleasure, a fun car to drive with those tires. I put 4400 miles on the stock tires, they are great for mileage, poor at anything else.

I did a test drive of a brand new '05 Avalon with a "tire upgrade". Did not ride anywhere near as nice as my Prius and the difference is all in the tire, those Comfortreds are really nice, likely the finest ride on the planet obtainable. They really do work on reducing felt road vibration.

That mileage drop you have experienced is going to be the rule for any OEM replacement that isn't a LRR (low rolling resistance) tire.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually replaced my OEM's today at 33,400 miles (had some wear left, but suffered a puncture at the sidewall on one, and another had been plugged a couple of times and had a slow leak). I actually opted to go with the Integrity again. Reason being is I was able to get them installed out the door at Sams Club for just a hare under $300, or $58.72 per tire before tax and $9 per tire install. The cost per mile, not to mention the MPG hit others have reported on other tires just wasn't worth it considering my long commute.

Thus far initially it seems that they're alot quieter new. I have the pressure at 42/40 again, ride seems a tad softer too with more tread on there. MPG doesn't seem to be affected at all. I'm still sitting at a 55-56mpg average after my drive in. I did note that the car was a bit dartier on the freeway, but imagine that's because the tires aren't yet broken in. And because I'm not driving alot of corners, but freeways in a dry, hot climate, they seemed to be a good choice for me.