1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bridgestone Ecopia EP420 vs Michelin Energy Saver A/S vs Nokian WR G2

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Gasolean, Jun 24, 2014.

?
  1. Bridgestone Ecopia EP420

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Michelin Energy Saver A/S

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Nokian WR G2

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Other (post below)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Gasolean

Gasolean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Would appreciate folks input. I am looking to get new tires in October. Not impressed with handling, hydroplaning, snow, etc. of factory tires. I was on a slightest incline at a stop sign and the car almost didn't make it. My old 2006 Prius had Pirelli P4s and they did great - freak snowstorm in the Catskills and the Prius almost outperformed a Yukon! But MPG suffered.

I am in the Mid-Atlantic. This last winter was awful, as everyone knows, but not all winters are as bad. We do get a bit of all sorts of weather. It's a tough call. I DO want something that performs well in all weather since we get it. But I don't want to go get snow-specific tires because we don't get THAT much snow.

I have been doing some research on tires and it seems like most people like the tires mentioned in this thread title. I am not quite sure what to get. I drive on some dirt/gravel (farm) roads quite a bit. I also tend to drive "distance" (17 miles one way) moreso than short city trips. I also do take my car on long car trips (300 to 600 miles) a few times a year so MPG is important to me.

I appreciate input on what folks like and why. And if there's another one you want to add, please do. Thanks!

2. dbastille

dbastille Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I live in the Northeast and agree the stock tires were bad in snow. After they wore out I chose:
    Continental ProContact with eco Plus (All-Season)....they have made a HUGE difference. Much better snow and rain traction and very cheap. Think I paid $75 each and come with a 60K tread warranty. I did lose a couple mpgs but can get 50 during summer easy. Cannot recommend them enough.
    Good Luck!
    Dave

3. Gasolean

Gasolean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dave,

Thanks! I will add those to my list as well. I don't like sparing any expense when it comes to my car so I am willing to spend the big bucks, but if I can get quality for less then that's great!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Reminds me of a short story by Tom Wolfe: "The Mid-Atlantic Man", about a Brit transplanted to the US, and his cultural erosion ;)

For your mixed use, the WRG2 might be the best bet, especially with the prospect of snow driving. They have the mountain/snowflake symbol, but are considered a year-round tire. Mileage will suffer a bit though, up to 10%, comparing to the others. Consider separate snow tires?

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Me too" on need for new tires.
    The "issue" we tend to face in Northeast is the highest mileage MPG tires (the Mich A/S and the Ecopia) are not the best in snow. That is why some go with Nokian, but TireRack does not carry Nokian so its hard to understand how the Nokian compare to other tires.

So you have a choice of high MPG tire, and sacrifice winter grip, or sacrifice some MPG and go with something like GY Assurance ComforTred which is all-around good rated tire. The Continental with EcoPlus fits in this category, and I think maybe both EcoPlus and ComforTred are coming out with new versions this year. I forget the name of the new Continental tire but its on Tire Rack and some of us are looking at how that will perform in the Tire Rack tests.

#5 wjtracy, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  6. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the Nokian Wr2g are the going go be a good choice. I use them on both cars and like them alot. On my 2014 I do run ecopia ep20 for the summer and some in the winter with good results. I do feel better with the Nokian on all four. Better fe and less noise with the Ecopia, but not significant. H

7. Gasolean

Gasolean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I am leaning towards the WRG2. The noise isn't a big deal for me...I just want something that can drive on everything and all weather. I drive on a lot of country roads that not only get snowy but also flood so now with the factory tires I hydroplane all the time. It would be nice NOT to.

8. Gasolean

Gasolean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think it snows enough to go with winter tires....when I lived in Buffalo, NY - I definitely had snow tires. But being here (NJ) it snows, but not enough to warrant a full winter tire set up I think. Last year we got a TON of snow. The year before we might have gotten 10" for the entire year. With my luck if I got a snow tire put on we'd have eternal summer. :ROFLMAO:

Isn't the WRG2 a LRR tire? Does the MPG still suffer?

9. Gasolean

Gasolean Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah that is what I was reading on the A/S and Ecopia - that they're great with EVERYTHING but snow. Granted I doubt anything can be worse than the factory tires, but I still would like to have something more secure. There's STS Tire that carries all the ones I mentioned and then some which is probably where I will go to get the tires.

I think I am willing to sacrifice some MPG for safety

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd rather have separate snows for winter, and a LRR all season for the rest. Supposedly anytime it's below 7 centigrade (40~45 Fahrenheit?) snows have better traction. But I appreciate it's an extra expense.

In my experience alternating between WRG2 and Ecopia EP20, there was about 10% MPG penalty with the WR's. Weather was a factor , but switching back to EP20 in spring the next tank was always better.

Also, using the WR's rear 'round, I suspect they'll wear faster. Basically they're sorta half way between a snow and all season.

We get little snow, some years next to none, but it can get pretty cold.