1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Broken fuse box cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vincer, Apr 5, 2010.

1. vincer

vincer New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. I've referenced PC for other problems but couldn't find anything about this.

While removing the fuse box cover to jump the car, I broke the two rear tabs (I unfortunately couldn't get onto PC to learn how to properly remove it). :(

Sadly, the tabs are broken on the box side rather than the cover side so I can't simply get a new cover.

Any ideas on a simple DIY fix for this? I'm thinking maybe fashioning some new tabs and using superglue to hold them, or drilling some small holes and use some small screws to hold it. Right now I'm using duct tape, but I don't want that to be my permanent solution. Unfortunately there's not much room to work with in there.

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Velcro maybe?

3. vincer

vincer New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I thought of that, but there's just not much surface area for the velcro. Also there's very little wiggle room between the cover and the box making getting two layers of velcro in there very difficult.
    I'll take another look though, maybe there's a way...

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Vincer,

I would probably just use duct tape.

BTW, you are not at fault for breaking the rear tab holes. The Gen II Owner's Manual does not tell you how to remove the fuse box cover (there's a release tab in the front which you have to feel around for to find, then you press that front release tab and lift the cover off and out of the two rear tab holes). But for the Gen III Owner's Manual, Toyota finally got around to describing and illustrating how to remove the cover.