1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

builtin app offering OSD feedback on gauges and driver behavior

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by vvillovv, Aug 5, 2014.

1. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As I was in creep home mode, 7 miles from home with light traffic on the road, this morning I thought it would be nice
    if I could get interactive tips on the OSD how to drive more efficiently.

On a side note, as it turned out I made it home in ev mode, but I went around the block an extra time to use up all my ev charge and wound up having the ICE come on, again, a few hundred feet from my driveway. In that few hundred feet ( guesstimating around 300 ft ), than into the driveway then backing out of the driveway and parking on the street, my trip gauge dropped from 999 mpg to 626 mpg for that 8.2 mi. segment of my morning drive.

By interactive I mean having an app one can choose that will give more detailed feedback on screen / holographic to the driver about how the driver is using the features of the car. Kind of like a live instruction / owners manual.

It might take a few years to develop such an app, my questions is, does anyone think it would get used much?

2. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Stop going around the block! and you would be at 999 mpg.
    After 2 1/2 years with my plug-in, I know most of the time about how far I can go and still get home for a recharge!
    Most times I get home with .3 to 2.0 miles left. For me I would not use a app like that, when I run out of EV the Ice starts as it should and it is what it is, but thats just me, YMMV. :)

vvillovv likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You're overthinking things.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    yep
    that's what I'm doing
    I was just curious if anyone else is too.

I do think about the down side and what might happen if and when something like that is release to the public.
    Same with the E Brake post.
    I know what I would and do use the E brake for, but I'm only one of the many billion potential users.