1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buy a warranty at 50,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Lynn Whitney, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Lynn Whitney

Lynn Whitney New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When a company cold calls and offers a warranty like this, is it a scam?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup. tell them you already have a warranty, its represented by the badge on the front of the hood. welcome to priuschat!(y)

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Is it a scam? Is the Pope Catholic? Does a bear shi....? You get the idea?

4. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's not a "scam" as defined in the dictionary, you'll get the coverage you pay for. However, it is a scheme that definitely favors those who sell them over those who buy them and are generally not recommended, especially for the Prius. The Prius has a pretty solid track record of needing minimal repairs until well after 100,000 miles. So the thinking is that if you can afford the cost of a warranty, you can afford to take the chance that nothing major will break that isn't covered by standard warranties. If you are interested, I'd be very wary of a 3rd-party contract. Friends who bought those say they never will again, dealer warranties only if they buy one in the future. I don't recommend one way or the other. I got beat for $5,000 on our van because I didn't buy one, but that's not necessarily a reason to buy one in the future. I'm still ahead financially by not buying them for the 6 new cars I've bought over the years.

5. Lynn Whitney

Lynn Whitney New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the advice!
    Lynn

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's a cold call. IMO, it is almost guaranteed to be a scam. If they are calling someone on the Do Not Call List then they are even less reputable.