1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Buying Used Prius - CarFax reports battery replacement at 30K miles. Problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GeorgeOhwell, Jan 16, 2013.

1. GeorgeOhwell

GeorgeOhwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I have recently found a used 2007 Prius with low mileage ( and at a very reasonable price from a local Toyota dealership.

Upon researching the vehicle's history through CarFax, I noticed that the battery was reported as being replaced just prior to the vehicle being listed for sale.

The vehicle has otherwise been regularly serviced with no accidents reported or any other irregularities. My concern is that everything I have read in my research about these vehicles indicates that the batteries in them need not be replaced for up to 100k on average (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Would any of you kindly advise if I have anything to be worried about here, or should I simply be content that the vehicle I am intending to purchase has a brand new battery installed by Toyota?

Thanks in advance for your help. Any advice is much appreciated!

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Did the CarFax specifically state the HV (High Voltage) Traction Hybrid Battery was replaced or may it have been the 12V battery? At that age replacement of the 12V would be typical and a good thing for you. The traction hybrid battery is made to last the life of the car and relatively few have been replaced. Many report over 200,000 miles on theirs.

JMD and GeorgeOhwell like this.
  3. GeorgeOhwell

GeorgeOhwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, CarFax does not specify which Battery has been replaced. Based on your response, it seems safe to assume it's the latter. I will make sure to clarify this on my visit to the dealership. Appreciate your help!

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Either battery being replaced is good news. I agree that it is more likely to be the 12 volt battery, but an occasional faulty HV (traction) has been replace "rare" but that would be to your advantage.

John (Britprius)

GeorgeOhwell likes this.
  5. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let us know the outcome

6. alexaxis

alexaxis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i see the 12v battery replaced is of higher possibility

7. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it is 12V battery, it does not really tell you anything. If the owner simply leave the headlight on and drain the battery couple of times, then it will need replacement pretty fast.