1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California requiring tire pressure checks

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by geognerd, Jul 23, 2010.

1. geognerd

geognerd New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I came across this post on the Consumer Reports Car blog:

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: California mandates tire pressure checks--Is it all hot air?

Perhaps some California residents can shed light on this.

I don't like the idea of an auto repair shop being required to check tire pressure AND inflate to manufacturer specifications. A lot of us at PriusChat use pressures higher than specified by Toyota for fuel economy and tire wear reasons.

So under this California law, what would happen if a Prius owner was using higher tire pressure? Would the repair shop be required to drop the pressure back to Toyota specifications? The Prius owner would then have to re-inflate their tires back to the higher pressure. Inconvenient.

Just throwing this topic out for discussion.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's completely asinine, fortunately a customer can decline the service.

If they do the service, they are required to set the tire pressure to spec, there is not an exemption mentioned for over spec tire pressures.:eek:

Here's the out for people that don't want it done...
    Code:
    (5) A customer may decline the check and inflate service if the
    customer affirms one of the following:
    (A) He or she has performed (or had performed) a tire pressure
    check and inflate service within the last 30 days, or
    (B) He or she will perform (or will have performed) a tire
    pressure check and inflate service within the next 7 days.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/2009/tirepres09/finalfro.pdf

Locking valve caps anyone?

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    This thread ain't hybrid news
    . . . . . but I'll bite anyway.
    Sadly, our Lexus hybrid SUV had the wrong (WAY LOW) tire pressure numbers printed into our door. The tires didn't quite make it to 14,000 ... but as far as the dealer was concerned ... no big deal, because the manufacturer's warranty was only to 12,000 anyway. Each time I go in for an alignment or rotation I tell them do NOT drop the tire pressures as they are set at 44psi on PURPOSE. Then they try to tell me all about how that makes tires wear in the center, and I tell them, "REALLY! ... then explain why the second pare are NOT worn in the center after 36,000 miles." Then the hem'n and haw'n starts.
    :rolleyes: