1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Can only get 2.9 qts when draining engine coolant?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sorka, Sep 16, 2012.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Changed inverter coolant last weekend. Was a snap. Used bleed screw with vinyl tube back into fill tank to bleed off any excess air. Added just as much as I removed. No issues. Took about 15 minutes total.

Engine coolant not going so smoothly. I was only able to get 2.9 qts out. Reservoir is still full. Didn't drain that.

Started by putting car in inspection mode. Let engine run until it was 180 degrees (using scan tool to read coolant temp). While engine running, turned on heat to get coolant flowing through heater core.

Turned car off.

Opened drain plug behind engine. Got about 2 qts out of that. When that was done, radiator level had dropped too.

Next, opened up yellow drain plug on back of radiator on drivers side. Got about 2.9 qts out of that.

Drain plug is about 1/3 up backside of radiator. Doesn't seem like it would drain anything below that.

Either there's still a lot of coolant left in the system or I was missing coolant. Latter not really a possibility as reservoir is still full and coolant was at top of radiator cap when I took the cap off before drain.

Stated capacity is 9 qts. Most report having gotten 6 qts when draining.

References to third drain plug but I have no idea where this is.

Any ideas?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The coolant heat recovery storage tank contains the remaining coolant, and the drain plug is located there. You will need to raise up the front left corner of the car, remove the tire, remove the engine undercover and the front portion of the fender liner - and you will find the tank.

If you had wanted to drain the reservoir behind the radiator, you would leave the radiator cap secured, before opening the first drain. Then, as the drain is opened, the resulting vacuum would suck fluid out of the reservoir.

Also, if you opened the drain at the CHRS tank first, you would find that would remove most of the coolant that can be drained. Not much additional coolant would come out of the engine block or radiator drains.

The reason that there is a difference between the 9 qt. stated capacity and the ~6 qt. amount that can be drained is because the remainder is in the cabin heater core, heater core pump, and associated plumbing.

If you find my posts about how to do this, you will also find my method of running the CHRS pump to refill the storage tank.

3. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks! The pump was good for another 2/3 qt. Nothing came out the radiator drain with the pump but once I opened up the engine drain plug one more time, some did come out. I then turned on the pump until it emptied out.

Is the reservoir included in the 6 qts other have been able to get out?

Time to do the bottle now. I'll report back on that hopefully soon.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Also, if I pull the coolant hose at the bottom of the radiator that is below the drain plug, shouldn't I be able to get more coolant out? There's got to be at least a qt in the bottom of the radiator. The drain plug is about 1/3 the way up the radiator.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Oh wait, I just realized CHRS *is* the bottle. Do I still need to drain it manually?

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    [​IMG]

OK. Up to 6.2 qts. The bottle got a lot more. Obviously since it's the lower drain point in the system, you could theoretically get everything through this.

Is 6.2 qts enough now? This does not yet include the reservoir. Does the reservoir coolant really need to be replaced. i.e. does it cycle through the system if the cooling system stayed full and never had air bubbles?

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    OK. 7.1 qts now by blowing some air into the radiator fill hole with 20 psi air. Assuming this is safe as the airlift I'm about to use to fill the system back up has far more vacuum.

If I do the reservoir, that should put it at about 8 qts.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you should do the reservoir for a complete job, and also suggest that 20 psi is excessive. I would not use more than 15 psi which is roughly the pressure at which the radiator cap will vent.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    20 psi is what the regulator was set to. I doubt I exceeded 5 as I was just using short squirts of air into the system.

The airlift will suck 25 psi of vacuum. I just used it once without actually filling the system. It collapsed the hoses. I then opened the bottle one last time and got another half qt out. I also my pump to suck out the reservoir. I'm at about 8.3 qts now. I suspect that's more than most shops get.

I have 2 gallons and a third with maybe a half qt, so it's a good thing I'm done as I wouldn't have enough coolant on hand to completely refill the system.

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    BTW, to drain the CHRS tank, it wasn't necessary to take the wheel off. As you can see, removing the under cowl bolts for that section of the fender cover and it just slips down.