1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cannot get into accessory mode

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Edokko, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Edokko

Edokko New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a used 2009 Prius. Somehow it refuses to go into accessory mode. I press the power button without stepping on the brake pedal and nothing happens. Anyone have any ideas? I wonder if this symptom is related to the fact that this car is supposedly equipped with SKS (fob has silver logo and there is a black square on driver door outside handle) but the smart key functionality does not work? (The car came with only one key fob.)

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you start the car normally? If the SKS is not working, then the Power button will ignore what ever you do until you plug a registered fob into the dash. I would strongly recommend getting another fob ASAP. If you loose the one, it will become a very big problem to get up and running again. For example, look for posts by PC member Ovni, who sells backup keys for the gen II.

3. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Is the SKS system turned on with the button on the dash under the steering wheel?

4. Edokko

Edokko New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, registered key fob is inserted when I do this. That is how I normally start the car.

5. Edokko

Edokko New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the "key" button under the dash is turned on. I've tried both on and off positions just to make sure.

6. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
  7. Edokko

Edokko New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I changed the fob battery. Since I can't get the car into ACC mode, I couldn't check the battery voltage via the display without having it be in READY mode, which meant that when I look at the battery voltage display, it reads 14.1 V, i.e., it's getting charged. So I used a volt meter to measure the battery directly with the car turned off. At that point, the reading was 12.75 V. Then I opened the doors and turned on the headlights, which dropped the reading to 11.99 V. It seems the battery is not bad.

8. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sounds good but you might want to check it after sitting overnight. Mind you I'm no expert but I think next I would try disconnecting the 12V for a few minutes and reconnecting. If all the batteries check out good maybe the system needs rebooting? All other electrical systems work ok? No lights not burning, the sound and climate systems good, the inverter coolant is flowing in the container? It is strange.

9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Acc mode can be entered by
    Not stepping on the brake, touching the power button twice...
    Don't forget to get out of acc mode by pressing the power button once, don't underestimate the quickness in which the 12v will lose it's charge in acc mode;)

10. Edokko

Edokko New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I rechecked the battery after sitting overnight, and it still checks out. I also disconnected the battery for several minutes and reconnected. No change. Still cannot get into ACC mode. Other electrical systems work O.K. Lights are bright, sound and climate systems good, etc.

This might be a crazy idea, but I suspect (for various reasons) that this used to be a rental car. Could they have deliberately disabled some functionalities for whatever reason?

11. Edokko

Edokko New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, but I know how to enter ACC mode. The car just won't do it.

12. Edokko

Edokko New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait...I think I found a thread that exactly matches this symptom: No ACC mode | PriusChat. I'll have to go check if there is any suspicious aftermarket wiring installed under the dash...