1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cargo capacity for '06 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pjaymac, Apr 17, 2006.

1. pjaymac

pjaymac New Member

all.

I've done some searching at this site before making this post, and it seems that other posters have asked this question without receiving an answer, so I thought I would chime in.

I'm thinking about buying a Prius because I will soon be using my '03 Honda CR-V, in fine mechanical condition with 33,000 miles, for commuting purposes. Gas is soaring toward $3 a gallon and is rumored to be going to $4 or even $5 a gallon this summer. So, though my trusty V gets a steady 25-26 mpg in mixed driving, very good for a compact SUV, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a vehicle that gets 45+ mpg.

Thing is, I'd like to avoid sacrificing interior space. The CR-V has 72 cubic feet of interior space with the rear seats folded up against the front (creating a flat cargo space).

The Prius' website says only that the car's "luggage capacity" is 14.1 cubic feet. But knowing that that is almost the size of most sedans' trunks leads me to believe that figure is with the rear seats up. Am I right? What is the figure with the rear seats flat? Does anyone know? Does anyone know why Toyota doesn't post this figure on the Prius' website?

With all the space that's apparently created (if one is to judge by looking at photos, which is all I've done so far) by folding the Prius' rear seats flat, it would seem that the Prius' cargo capacity would come close to the CR-V's if not match it.

Thanks if anyone can provide any insight!

2. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Idon't know the numbers but I am sure that it must surpass your currnet. The flat cargo space is excellent and then there is additional space under the back floor boards as well as the floor from the backseat edge to the back of the front seats. Plus cubby holes all over. The unit under my TV is 55 in long, 37 in high and 18 in deep. the box it came in was generous. I was able to close the hatch and did not need to adjust my seats.

3. Springtime

Springtime Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pjaymac @ Apr 17 2006, 11:06 PM) [snapback]241302[/snapback]</div>
    Not to highjack your thread, but, if anyone can tell me, I would like to know if with the back seats down and the passenger front seat empty can I fit in a 9' 4" kayak and still close the hatchback? I would like to buy a kayak, but, I am not interested in installing a roof rack.

Also, I discovered the big red triangle with the explanation point when I happened to put the car in drive with my door ajar - will that happen if I have to tie down the hatchback rear door with the kayak extended out the back?

I would love to know the answers BEFORE I buy a kayak.

Thanks,

Springtime

4. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No but the little car with its' doors open will show...no triangle of doom for open hatch. As for the Kayak....get the measuring tape out.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    tons of people here brag about how much crap we can fit into the back of our cars :D

i personally put a kitchen table, 4 chairs, a vacuum cleaner, 6 boxes of books, and a couple other small assorted boxes in there with room to spare when we
    moved last summer.

i don't know the exact number but 14 can't be with the seats down.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you go to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ and enter the 2006 Toyota Prius it says that
    Luggage Volume is 16 ft3* (HB) while Passenger Volume is 96 ft3* (HB).

*cubic feet

7. pjaymac

pjaymac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 18 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]241329[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, aaf709 and the others. I saw the passenger-volume figure, but I thought that referred to the space passengers occupy when they sit in the front and rear seats, not the volume of the cabin when the rear seats are folded flat.

It's nice to know what size objects people can fit into the back of their Priuses, especially the 55-inch-long TV unit. That gives me an idea that the cargo space has to be close to if not greater than the CR-V's.

Still, it would be nice to see hard numbers somewhere. This is a pretty glaring oversight by Toyota, a company one doesn't expect to make glaring oversights.

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pjaymac @ Apr 17 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]241302[/snapback]</div>
    I was seriously thinking of hauling a carom table today in the Andyprius, however I chickened out and took my RV to Oakland. In measuring the distance from the rear hatch to the instrument panel with all seats flat, save the drivers, the measurement was a little over 8ft. so a 9 foot kayak probably will not quite make it. However an 8ft carom table will, minus the packing materials.

9. pjaymac

pjaymac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(andyprius @ Apr 18 2006, 12:38 AM) [snapback]241337[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Andyprius. So I guess that answers my question: With your rear seats folded flat, you have 96 inches from the hatchback to the back of the front seats, at least? (I would rarely be carrying anything large enough that I would need to poke into the front seats and thus the instrument panel.)

I've never taken a tape measure from the rear of the CR-V to the rear seats folded up against the back of the front seats to see how many feet 72 cubic feet translates to. I'll do that sometime in the next couple of days to see for sure.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just note that the sloping roofline will cut into the space so nothing big AND boxy. I've carried my lawn furniture's umbrella with the hatch closed (the tip of the umbrella nearly touched the dash), I've carried 4 people with luggage for an overnight stay (3 backpacks and one large carryon, small cooler) and all the shopping went under the floor in the box below.

11. Denny_A

Denny_A New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pjaymac @ Apr 18 2006, 01:51 AM) [snapback]241340[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius II front seat opens to horizontal (seat back reclined) with the seat slid all the way forward on its track. Then with right rear seat folded, the unobstructed distance from the left, rear edge of the trunk to the lower glove box door is 106 inches. I can carry my long step ladder in the Pri. Quite a surprise.

12. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pjaymac @ Apr 17 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]241302[/snapback]</div>

I don't what the number of cu. ft. is, but there is an awesome amount of cargo space when the rear seats are folded down, more than I had in my SUV. Cargo space was a huge factor in my buying decision r.e. several makes and models I looked at. I had to evacuate for Hurricane Katrina with 3 dogs and 2 cats. The cats were in crates. Thus, I need a vehicle with a LOT of cargo space in case I have to evacuate again. But, I also commute 140 miles round trip to work, thus also needed a vehicle with great mpgs. The Prius fit the bill perfectly. The only vehicle I saw that had better cargo space with the rear seats folded down, and also got decent mpgs, is the Mazda 6 hatchback. But the mpgs were not good enough compared to the Prius, and it was much more expensive. Pretty nice car, tho.

Gary
    2006 Super White Prius

13. pjaymac

pjaymac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BayouBulldog @ Apr 18 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]241482[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Gary. What kind of SUV did you have or trade in?

14. Jeff Beaver

Jeff Beaver Junior Member

The wife and I replaced an 18-20 mpg Mitsubishi station wagon with an 06 Prius, and we couldn't be happier. It has more passenger room than our Lexus ES300, and ample storage in the trunk. With the rear sets folded down, it's cavernous, and is probably the model for Dr. Who's phone booth -- bigger on the inside than the outside. Toyota obviously went to geat lengths to design what is in many respects the most practical, well designed car on the road.

Jeff

15. pjaymac

pjaymac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Beaver @ Apr 18 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]241569[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, Jeff. Good to know. I haven't seen the Prius in person yet but am looking forward to it.

16. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pjaymac @ Apr 18 2006, 12:22 PM) [snapback]241551[/snapback]</div>
    I had a 2001 Mazda Tribute. Great vehicle, no major repairs in 168,000 miles. But it only got about a bit over 17 mpg.

Gary

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Beaver @ Apr 18 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]241569[/snapback]</div>

I agree with you about both the cargo area and the trunk. I was quite surprised to see that the Prius even has a trunk, much less how much I can store in there.

Gary

17. K5VMI

K5VMI New Member

Last week, I bought a new 27" TV at an auction. The huge box slid right into the hatchback with about an 1-1/2" to spare. Truely amazing.

18. automatic1stdown

automatic1stdown New Member

Here's my 2 cents. We just replaced my wife's 2002 CRV with a 2004 Prius. We really like our prius, but the cargo versatility of the CRV was far better.

With the rear seats up, the Prius pales in comparison. Our Graco stroller basically consumes the entire hatch area completely, which forces us to stuff other gear in the rear seat floor wells. The slope of the hatch really prevents you from putting much back there. We wanted to go to the park last weekend and was quite disappointed how difficult it was to fit the stroller and Igloo cooler in the car. The hidden storage underneath the floor is nice, but the CRV has this too and is waterproof. The CRV's articulating glass window is also very useful for carrying extremely long items from Home Depot/Menards.

With the rear seats down, the cargo room expands quite a bit in the Prius. However, the low roofline doesn't make the cargo space very usable, IMO. We use to have a 2004 Subaru Forester but found it's cargo area not very usable either. Although the Forester's cargo space was close to the CRV, it's lower roofline really cut down on how usable the space was. What good is having a lot of cargo space if only short and long items fit? We bought a large LazyBoy recliner that came in a huge box and the CRV swallowed it up with no problem. The guy at the furniture store was quite impressed that such a small SUV could load something that big.

The CRV is a extremely well thought out in terms of versatility and is most likely best in its class. This is not a knock against the Prius as the two are completely different kinds of vehicles. As a passenger car, the Prius is truly impressive in terms of cargo configurations.

19. pjaymac

pjaymac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(automatic1stdown @ Apr 19 2006, 12:51 AM) [snapback]241934[/snapback]</div>

Wow, thanks very much, automatic1stdown. That was a well-reasoned, honest assessment of the CR-V's and Prius' cargo-carrying capacities. As a CR-V owner, I am actually glad to see something negative about the Prius' cargo capacity compared with the CR-V's, given that all the other responses in this thread have been positive! (Not that you were negative about the Prius, just honest.) As I said, I haven't seen the Prius in person yet but will probably do so in the next few days and see if indeed its cargo capacity matches up well with the CR-V's.

Are you at the point where you are thinking of trading in the Prius for a new CR-V? Before you bought the Prius, did you sort of visually compare the cargo space of the CR-V with that in the Prius? If so, did it seem as though it would be fine but didn't become apparent that it wouldn't work well till you started using it in the real world?

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he went from a CR-V to a Prius.. basically, what you're doing now.