1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

catalytic converter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by nancy francioli, Jun 23, 2014.

1. nancy francioli

nancy francioli New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello,
    I have a 2007 prius with a new engine that is one year old. My catalytic converter has been out for about the same time. The garage that put the new engine in said that the car would be fine without the cc.
    My check engine light is always on and the mechanic said it was because of the c c not working.
    My car has 152,000 miles on it and I want to keep it running for another 150,00 miles if possible.
    It runs well except for going up steep hills and then it labors and is slow . I am ok with all of this but if the car is not going to go fall apart in the next 100,000 do iIreally need to spend 1800.00 on a new Catalytic converter? Please any advice.

2. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When is it due for the next California smog check?

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correct me if I'm wrong but its against the law to not re-install the CC on a car in California. And yes it won't pass a smog. Minute they see the check engine light your done. They won't even bother hooking up the exhaust tester.

Not good for the engine to run missing any exhaust component. Tends to lean out the motor which is bad as lean=heat.Also the motor may be complaining too and may have thrown its own check engine light you'll never know unless you pull all the codes with a Hybrid capable OBDII tester.

This car can be very expensive if you drive around with a check engine light on and not address it. Its already not happy struggling with hills
    which tells me the engine is having a hard time or has a Hybrid issue.

Its doesn't have a red car icon on the mfd with an exclamation point through it does it? That's a Hybrid nag. Describe what you call a check engine light?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What does "has been out" mean: does it mean that the original catalytic converter has failed but remains installed; or does it mean that the cc was actually removed and a straight pipe installed in its place?

If the former, then the reason why engine performance is poor is because the cc has become blocked and is restricting exhaust gas output. This reduces the ability of the engine to produce power.

Since you want the car to last 150K miles more, install a new cc for $1.8K and be done with the problem. Living in Carmel, you don't want your car to be a source of unnecessary air pollution. Good luck.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you can get the codes read and list them here, it would help with the advice. If your mechanic does not have a Prius specific code reader, then you are potentially missing some important info.

6. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why did the engine need replaced? Was the cause (if any) fixed?
    If you plan on keeping it for a long time, I would definitely replace the cat. I'm sure you could find a used one for much less than $1800, though.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not legal to 1) install a used catalytic converter in CA:
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/amcatq&a.pdf

or 2) install a new catalytic converter that has not been approved for sale in CA. A new catalytic converter is costly (even if aftermarket) because of the 5 year/50K mile warranty requirement.
    http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/installcatq&a.pdf

In the US it is legal to install a used catalytic converter only if it has been tested and found to meet spec:
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

8. nancy francioli

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its got a little icon that is yellow and I am sure it is a check engine light. After talking to two mechanics and toyota north america I have decided I had better replace the cc. I was told when the new engine was put in it a year ago that I did not need the cc and it would run fine without it.
    Well it is not running fine and hasn't since shortly after the engine was replaced.
    I am so tired of feeling as a woman that I am constantly not getting the straight truth when it comes to car servicing!
    Is it possible to buy something after market that is a third the price and works the same?

SaraKellyHipHope likes this.
  9. nancy francioli

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Where would you get one ? Should I trust my mechanic to find one on after market?

10. nancy francioli

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The engine was replaced because I ran out of oil and blew a piston. The check engine light was on and the hazard light came on and the maintenance came on also. I was on a long trip and had planned to get it serviced when I got back. It was not over due.

11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    New catalytic converter from Camelback is $1301.04 (if free shipping possible). However, given the odd size (length), you'll likely have to pay for shipping, bringing total to $1430.84.
    LINK to Camelback; assumed base 2007 Prius.

Contact Luscious Garage to see cost of labor, labor and your supplied part, labor and their supplied part. LINK to Luscious.
    Maybe Luscious will allow your part to be shipped directly to them for installation?
    Carmel, CA, to Luscious Garage in SF, is about 121 miles/2 hours away.

I hope you now check your oil level with some regularity; at the very least every gas fill-up.

Good luck.

For California, Hybrid-Electric vehicles are currently exempt from all Smog Check inspections until December 2014.
    LINK to Notice.

elementnomore and Fred_H like this.