1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Caution: The transmission lock mechanism is abnormal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Highspeed, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Highspeed

Highspeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I searched around and found information but it seems that there is no definitive answer as to why this warning comes up. My best guess was a bad 12v battery but mine tests out at 12.4, 12.2 with some items turned on, and 11.6 with headlights on.
    It started last year, only happed a few times and then started again this week. The car won't go into drive but will go into neutral. Power cycles don't seem to help much but it will eventually let you drive it. Seems very inconsistent so I can't pin down the cause.
    Has anyone figured this out? Thanks in advance for your help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think that you have a real problem. The problem might be with the shift control actuator assembly, the transmission control ECU, or the parking lock mechanism. I suggest that you have your dealer diagnose the problem, as it may be covered under the powertrain or hybrid system warranty.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [deleted, superfluous]

4. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    how are you testing the battery?
    i've only seen this happen when the 12v gets low and other times i just turned
    the car off a second time and it went away
    before spending too much, maybe you can get a good load test on the battery
    reading the battery voltage isn't as good as an actual load test

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your 2004 transaxle has an electric motor operated parking 'paw', a mechanical lock that freezes the front wheel. If it fails to engage, the transmission remains in "N" when the car is turned off and can easily roll away.

The error message is telling you to always use the "parking brake" to hold the rear wheels fixed and try to use a flat place so they will not "give" and the car drift away.

This is a safety feature and should be fixed soon. Unfortunately, it is unlikely to be 'cheap' given where it is located. ... bummer ...

If you are very, very lucky, a connector has come loose and the electric driven parking paw won't have to be replaced. This is lucky in congratulations on winning the lottery.

Bob Wilson

6. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    like ive said, the battery should be load tested first. ive had that exact message on my car at least 7 times since ive gotten it, and its always been because i had the car in accessories too long, like 45-60 minutes of the radio will cause the parking warning
    to come on, and the battery was still good enough to get the car started

reading your voltage of the diagnostic screen is not the same as an actual load test
    and that is physically removing the battery and connecting it to the tester
    a battery can have one or several weak cells but still read normal voltage on the mfd

also on more then one occasion i've gotten that message to come up, just by
    maybe turning the car from ready to off a little fast ( i think )

also worth noting is this is my second 12 v battery and i only have 35,000 miles on the car.
    toyota dealerships do not physically remove the 12 volt battery and check it for load
    when you have the car checked, unless you scream at the service advisor for 10 minutes!

i would use the parking brake, like other people say, but if it comes on more then once or twice in a row or if it happens regulary, oh yeah tow the car and have it checked

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you sit with the car in ig-on/neutral for a while it might do this. DH saw this message on the occasional prius after an alignment, where it sits on the rack in ig-on and neutral.

the other time he saw it, it turned out to be a faulty park lock actuator.

8. Highspeed

Highspeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    thanks for all the input. I'll post again when i have news but it hasn't happened again. I'll go get a load test done but I'm unwilling to take it to the dealer until it leaves me stranded.

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's "pawl", not "paw".

10. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Let's see... You have a 4 year old battery and a condition that is known to come up with a weak battery. I'd just replace that battery because it's worn out. All sorts of weird things start to happen when computers don't get the juice they need. This is just the first one you've run into.

Get an Optima yellow top, plus the conversion. It's a better battery for about the same price as the original.

11. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    AMEN!!!!!

I got an '07 in April '07, and in Dec '07 the original 12 volt battery went pffffft! (wouldn't hold a charge).

I got the Optima yellow top and the replacement kit (from elearn.com? something like that) and popped it in.

Now, I can sit with accessories on for quite a while, and no problems whatsoever!

Well worth the effort and the $$$

12. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    when my battery went pfffft i got a free one from a toyota delear i did not have to pay for it

yeah car purchased feb 07, battery went sour nov 07, got new battery for free

13. kohnen

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah. I was considering taking it back to the dealer and getting the battery replaced under warranty.

Two things made it more attractive for me not to:

1) I got the yellow-top Optima deep-discharge battery instead of the OEM battery. I think that the yellow-top is a better battery.

2) I've never had a good experience at any dealer getting warranty work done. It always has taken at least several hours. It took me about 1/2 hour to replace the battery myself, so it was worth it to me to spend the $$$, get the better battery, and save the time.

14. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i have had pretty good luck on getting freebie rewards for being a whine, heh
    so far ive gotten a battery, a free exterior detail, and when i left toyota on the last oil change / tire rotation, one of my $18-$20 wheel ornaments went missing!

i wonder if you can glue them on with plastic cement

if i could of afford the yellow top battery and the fit kit, i probably would of gotten that and a free battery
    from the dealer, heh

15. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    when I go to the Optima web site ( OPTIMA Batteries ), the "find battery by vehicle" method does not show a Prius replacement battery. Which battery did you use?

16. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  17. kohnen

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  18. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you rigormortis and kohnen

19. TAUB123

TAUB123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All you need to do is reset the computer to do this, do the following:

• Put foot on brake push power
    • foot off brake push power
    • foot on brake push power
    It should start after this

20. rigormortis

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i heard if you hold the power button down for a long time, the entire prius will reboot