1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Changing a Prius Wiper Blade

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 4, 2007.

1. jeff618

jeff618 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the cost of the refill inserts is relatively low but when you add in the cost of my patience and risk of failure, I'll stick with the full assembly I mentioned. At about $10-$12 bucks...its worth getting it done right especially since its a 1 minute swap.

2. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why do internet sites charge so much for the insert? It's like $9 shipped! I called a local toyota dealer who said he charges $12 for the entire blade.. did anyone find it for less online??

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Packaging for shipping takes labor and they have to pay the shipper. $5 of the $9 was probably direct and indirect shipping costs.

4. jeff618

jeff618 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think most of us are talking about full wiper blades, not refill inserts. I was specifically speaking of beam blade full wiper blades rather than the conventional framed wiper blades. I normally buy for all vehicles at once and qualify for free shipping, but even if I didn't, I live in the country and the fuel cost plus the value of my free time is way more than any shipping charge. I've had a very good experience with wipers123 so I've found a solution that works for me.

5. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found a cheaper site on another thread:

brandsport.com
    They also have a 10% coupon right now: SCIONLIFE

So for 3 refills (Driver, passenger, rear):

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Wiper Blade Refill Single Wiper Insert Premium Graphite Coated $3.50 1 $3.50
    2004-2009 Toyota Prius Wiper Blade Refill Single Wiper Insert "G" Style, 650mm (25-1/2") long Premium Graphite Coated $5.85 1 $5.85
    2004-2009 Toyota Prius Wiper Blade Refill Single Wiper Insert Premium Graphite Coated $3.99 1 $3.99
    Subtotal: $13.34
    Shipping: $2.65
    Tax: $0.00
    10% savings: -$1.33
    Total: $14.66

I'm happy with that :).

6. jeff618

jeff618 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like a good deal...I still don't have the patience, time nor skill to deal with refill inserts though, plus in WI, getting rid of the framed blades helps big time in snow and ice. I figure the replacing the full wiper blade is great preventative maintenance for winter and is a wash on cost when I add in the time and headaches I save by just swapping the whole blade out. It literally takes me 2 minutes to do front and rear. Bam - done!!

1 person likes this.
  7. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is WI the rear wiper? What did you swap it with (link)?

8. jeff618

jeff618 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh...sorry. WI = Wisconsin. I like to replace the blades and frames because the wisconsin weather is BRUTAL on them, so its smart preventative maintenance (as well as headache-free, fast maintenance) since the rubber blades and arms are put under so much pressure AND they old school wipers tend to collect snow and ice which deems them useless.

Here is the link you requested: https://www.wipers123.com/product_d...=2008&yearhid=2008&model=Prius&modelhid=Prius This is the 2008 model but you can look up your year to see if its the same. I have the neoforms and the rear blade.

Go Green Bay Packers!!

9. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah.. heh my bad. Thanks for the link, but I decided to go with the inserts. I found a site from another post to get blades for each wiper (3) shipped for about $14. I replaced the rear blade this past weekend and it was simple.. took about 2 minutes. I'll save the front two inserts for when the front wipers need them. It's so nice having a real blade on the rear for the dew in the morning! I need a handheld wiper to do the side windows when I walk to my car in the morning.. :)

10. jeff618

jeff618 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool!! Yeah...I love new wipers. Enjoy!!

11. HappyHybrid

HappyHybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love the internet. :cheer2:

Just came back from my Toyota Dealership after having my Prius's 50,000 mile checkup done, and one of the things they'd wanted to do was charge me $30 to change a torn rear wiper blade. (along with $50 to replace a fog light, and $30 each to replace engine filter and cabin filter, none of which I had them do; got a regular reliable cheaper-than-the-dealership mechanic for stuff like that, assuming it all actually NEEDS to be done).

Anyhoo, just picked up a wiper at PepBoys (where they have free wiper installation) for $10. Alas, he wasn't sure how to actually DO it on a Prius, and the manual was no help. So bought it anyway to take home, figuring I'd google it to see if I could figure it out myself.

Google led me here, to that handy 7 page PDF how-to (although realized that it was just how to change the rubber blade, not the whole assembly, which is what I bought), but once I got the cover off, the package instructions got me through the rest of the way. :)

I know so little about car repairs, it's always nice to be able to do one myself and save $20 in the process. :)

Thanks for that PDF info, really hated the idea of having to have a mechanic do something as simple as changing a wiper blade.

~ Karen ~

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are a number of little things like that you can do, and you'll likely discover more of them. For big and complicated things, it's definitely better to pay someone with the tools and experience, to be sure it's done properly. There's no reason you can't change the filters yourself - for the engine and cabin filters, you don't even need a screwdriver.

13. Domapoi

Domapoi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got tired of looking for one that fit properly on the Prius rear wiper and hassling with the little metal strips. Sometimes the wiper worked just fine, other times it was just slightly too wide for the slot and wouldn't either work/wipe right or just would not go in the groove. Then I found on Amazon the complete wiper that you just pop off the old one from the rear arm and pop on the new one complete wiper. No more hassle with the refills and the little metal bars etc. etc. It costs a little more but is 50 times faster to install and always fits and works perfectly. They are only $11 and if you buy over $25 worth of other qualifying items it is free "Super Saver Shipping". If you are interested, I can't post the link because I have not posted enough posts yet (stupid rule) but just go to Amazon and do a search for
    Trico 14-A Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade - 14"

On that page you can choose your year, make and model Prius (or what ever other vehicle you have to get the right one for your car.

Just follow the complete directions on the package to install. Sure made my life a lot easier!!!!

14. jeff618

jeff618 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a great site for all things wipers: wipers123

They only show you the wipers that fit your car and those choices are organized in good, better and best (as well as winter wipers). They have pictures and product descriptions. They also have installation videos at the bottom of the website for almost any wiper blade/arm combination on almost any vehicle. fyi...

15. cj4x4

cj4x4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    --New user to the Prius Chats here!!--

I don't see what the big to-do is.... I came to the forums to search how to replace that rear wiper blade on my new-to-me 2007 Prius because it did look a little daunting. However... just removing that cap at the base of the assembly and tugging lightly released the wiper blade. In under a minute it was all done! No need to search for the replacement blade, just buy the 10.99 wiper at Autozone. Silly folks spending 30+ minutes and worrying about the dealership.

To each their own! Happy Hybrid-ing!

16. haruman

haruman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks! Super helpful link. Coupon still works too!
    :)

17. jeff618

jeff618 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I paid a little more but saved a ton of time and headaches: https://www.headlights123.com/exact_fit_rear_wiper.php ...5 minutes to lookup part numbers and place my order. Tripped over the box on my doorstep a few days later. Snapped right on in less than 1 minute. I'm not into MacGyver fix-its...gimme simple!!

18. TidelandProud

TidelandProud Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    While researching part numbers for my 2005 year, I came upon slightly different ones than those referenced in document:
    85214-44140 for front driver, not 85124-46010
    85214-46011 for front passenger, not 85124-47010
    85214-47010 for rear hatch, not 85124-44140

Do referenced numbers contain transpositional errors, are they not applicable to 2004-09 model years, or has there been an updated document of which I'm unaware?

19. jeff618

jeff618 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have info on 2012+, however there have been 3 wiper configurations from 2001-2011:

01-03: 24" & 17"
    04-09: 26" & 18"
    10-11: 26" & 19"

Got this info from wipers123 online.

20. Vicki Raske

Vicki Raske Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was so helpful, nothing like this info available through the owners guide.