1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charger cable dying...anyone pull one of these apart?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Coyotefred, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The charging cable on my 2o12 has been "acting up" the last few weeks. Specifically, the cable won't charge/orange power light won't come "on" unless you spend time wiggling the cable around so it eventually is "just so." Once you've done that the charger works just fine....the warning/defect light never lights and it operates perfectly normally in either 110 or 220 mode (I had the EVSE upgrade in Oct 2012).

Admittedly my cable has been subject to more "abuse" than those of you who have just kept it neatly wrapped up on the wall in a garage. I charge in different locations, almost all of them outdoors without weather protection. And I'm constantly carrying it around and moving it in and out of the trunk, etc. But I figured it was designed for a fair amount of "abuse"...particularly since it's only 2.5 years old :(

I'm guessing one of the wires inside the cable...perhaps where it is entering the charger brick...is working itself loose somewhere. I do a fair amount of electronics tinkering/repair so I have no issue opening this up and checking the continuity of the wiring, etc. since I assume this out of warranty.

'Just wondering whether anyone has taken one of these apart and might have an idea what the issue is?

Thanks for your time.

2. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Presumably you've checked the most obvious place, the wall attachment plug. The thing is really rugged: My cable has worked perfectly for over two years, despite my leaving it outdoors in NY winters and rainstorms (I plug into an extension cord at home -- I know, I know...) and plugging into a lamp-post outlet at work across an adjacent parking space with an SUV that drives over it when it leaves before me.

3. JBumps

JBumps Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe Peef (sp) could be some help again? I'm assuming you had it done through him as well, like myself. As quick as he can turn around the upgrade, I would imagine he'd be a good source for repair as well.

4. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree with the previous posting, and based on your description, a bad connection seems the most likely cause. It could be a broken wire, caused by over-flexing, but I think burnt contacts are more likely. Dampness can work on the metal, making it less conductive, and arcing can scorch the surface, making the connection less and less conductive over time. This creates more heat due to increased resistance, and the problems makes itself worse over time.

Another problem is the heavy-weight surge protector that puts strain on the wall-plug, if you don't have something to rest it on. I've also found that if you pull the plug out of the charging socket on the car too fast, it can arc before the system has time to shut off the power.

#4 GregP507, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Obvious question is do you think it is the EVSE or the outlet? If this only happens at home for example, then it is a good probability that the cheap electrical outlet has been through its lifetime of mating cycles.

If it is the EVSE, then most likely it is the connector. I haven't opened up the Toyota EVSE personally, but peef/ingineer has (he does the 240v upgrades) and this is a pic from his site: http://ingineerix.com/pic/?panasonic-evse

[​IMG]

It looks like the termination of the connectors is a screw, which would seem to be rugged in flexing over time. As long as that screw remains tight. Wiggling a plug in a socket, should have no effect on that.

So it would appear to me that the problem is on the NEMA 5-15 plug side from aircharm debug. These plugs are generally not rated for that many insertions. This is why I try to plug into a 1ft extension cord then plug that cord into whatever. When the $2 1ft extension cord wears out from plugging and unplugging, the EVSE only goes through 1 more mating cycle. So it could increase the cycle life by 1000 times or so.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i also use mine on the road everyday. i try to be careful with it, but, it is what it is. if you can't see an obvious loose connection, i agree with sending it back to peef. perhaps their work is the cause of the problem.

7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think a close inspection of the connectors should reveal whether they are damaged or not.

8. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great suggestions everyone, thank you. It definitely isn't an outlet issue, since it has behaved the same way in 3 different charging locations.

I'll start with the 220v plug and work towards the "car plug" side. I'm most suspicious about where the cable itself leaves the brick on the "car plug" side, since for whatever reason it shows some moderate corkscrew-kinking there.

I did send the EVSE upgrade folks an e-mail to see if they had any ideas/suggestions, although I don't have any reason to think that modification is the cause of the problem at this point...

9. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Corkscrewing? Sounds like you have been improperly coiling your cable. Wires twisted tight inside the sheath until one of then broke. The pilot signal wire is the smallest and most likely failure. I'm looking at 3 similar intermittent open/shorted cables in use on my desk. Molded on cable ends are a pain to repair and be weather sealed. Our AV engineering friends had a thread on the topic of coiling cables and video's of the proper methods.

10. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I agree and think you probably have either loose connections or twsited up wires ready to break or short out.
    Are you still twisting the wires around to make the connection?

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  12. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No...the twisting/bending stopped working this morning. I can no longer get any kind of connection. I opened up the back but you can't really see anything of the incoming wires. It looks like you need some kind of special tool to remove the 'caps' on the ends to inspect the wire/cable.

I just looked over my owners manual again. I can't see anything about needing to "properly coil" the charging cable. I've certainly not been careless or abusive to the cable/charger, but I think failing after less than 3 years for normal outdoor use/wear and tear is unacceptable. What is the warranty on the cable/charger?

13. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    why do you not suspect the upgrade yet?

Did they tell you they will charge you for a repair?

There is always openevse OpenEV Store - OpenEV Store
    but it takes more then basic electical knowledge to assemble or repair the units correctly.

I couldn't assemble or repair one by myself currently.

#13 vvillovv, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they should definitely last the 'life of the car'. yours is the first fail afaik. i don't think they will warranty an evse that's been altered. someone was selling one here fairly cheap.

rxlawdude likes this.
  15. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had a short in my brick right at the plug from the wall into the brick. Sent it back to EVSE upgrades and they repaired free of charge. I only paid shipping. This was about 10 months after the upgrade.

Now I only leave the 220 at home and have an extra 120 I bought off eBay in the car to use at work.

iPad ? HD

vvillovv likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, proxy the same thing, thanks!

17. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, that appears to be my problem also. This is what I found when I opened the brick up up:

[​IMG]

This is from the wall plug side. Here are the 3 pins on the brick they connect to:

[​IMG]

'Problem is the connectors popped off before I had a chance to see which wire connected to which pins. I'm 99% sure the black wire with the burned connector came off the narrower pin (top left in this photo), which in fact may have been the problem. The same size spade connector was used on all 3 pins. The connector fit nice and snug on the two larger pins, but it had to be crimped/pinched onto the narrower one which may have allowed for less than a good connection. Or my "improper coiling" of the cable may have twisted things creating problems.

In any case I can't find a pinout diagram anywhere showing which wires go to which pins. I measured the resistance between the pins with my multimeter trying to determine which of the larger pins was ground/green, but my meter didn't show any measurable resistance with any of the pin combinations (maybe I have a crappy meter).

Replacing the spade connector or directly soldering to the

18. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    char-pigtail-cap.jpg

can you post a pic of the inside of the pigtail cap so I can see how to remove it.

19. Coyotefred

Coyotefred Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually those caps on both ends just screw off (left to loosen, right to tighten). You'll see two flattened portion on each cap where you can use a pliers or vice-grip to get a solid grip...then just unscrew.

20. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mine has slots for a special tool in the caps.
    I'll see if I can figure out a way to get it off and take a pic of the connections