1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

charging dead modules

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by yotatoter, Mar 11, 2013.

1. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Okay so first off ,I am a tight wad. So I have started playing with some dead modules that i have laying around and I am planning to use them in my work car as 2 modules went bad in the car. It has 211k on the original battery, but I have replaced a few modules in it as they go bad..Like I said I am a tight wad... I bought the car with a battery problem when it had 160k on it and I have put about $100 in modules in it so i am happy. Back to my experiment, I took a module that is showing 33mv and tried to charge it with my mrc 989,but as you know it will not start charging them unless they have at least .5 or so volts on the battery. I had to use a reg. 6 volt charger and zap the module for a couple seconds till the volts were above .5 Any how I still could not charge it so i drilled 6 tiny holes in the module and injected 15 cc of reg. water and let it sit for about an hour and than hooked up my charger . So far it seems to be taking a charge,I have put about 1000 MAH in it and it is still charging. I will keep you posted. OH forgot to mention,i put stainless steel screws back in the holes that I drilled. I found a post on here where some body else did that. I will also experiment with hot water and distilled water to see which works better..Sorry for the long post..

2. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thank you.
    Please continue posting your results. Great to hear of someone doing it on the cheap on an older car with a well worn battery. It seems most battery rebuilds replace all the modules at once, I have wondered if it would work to just replace modules as they fail, instead of all when they get to high miles.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The approach I used was to drill one hole and with the battery on the side, inject water until it stops accepting water. The water passes from cell-to-cell until the level reaches the hole.

I could never solve the problem of how to seal the hole including some tests with plastic welding. The problem was matching the plastic 'rod' to the original case material AND getting a good fusion weld. But I have another approach I'm planning.

The pressure release valve is useless. So drill out the pressure release valve in two modules. Lay them on the side and inject water until they are full. Then orient them upright and together so they can be wired in series and fit a clear plastic tube between the two pressure release nipples with small, screw, hose clamps. The theory is the plastic tube and clamps seal the modules only now the tube is the 'pressure relief.'

Do your normal initial charge and then individually charge/discharge each module to recover capacity. Once they both have near identical Ahr capacity, put them in series and use the 12 module setting in the 989 to complete charge/discharge cycling.

Bob Wilson

Old Wrench It likes this.
  4. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I got what you are saying,that may be the best idea yet!!! I am curious why the pressure relief valve does nothing? they are manufactured that way to avoid battery blow ups I thought... But I guess if you use the right strength hose you would still have your pressure relief valve.. I will keep you posted.. To the above post,well I would not recommend replacing only the bad modules,as you will have to keep pulling the battery pack out and going thru them. Does it work to replace just the bad ones? yes to a certain point ,but again if you want to do it right this is NOT the solution.. I am doing more or less to experiment..

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually I appreciate you doing your experiments even though there is a risk. It is the second and third experimenter who with the first discover something previously unknown.

I was thinking about this and if all 38 modules are configured in pairs with the hose, there is no need for the existing 'pipe' to the useless safety valves. There would be a potential risk from airflow restrictions so it makes sense to carefully monitor the battery temperatures if a full-pack were so configured.

Bob Wilson

yotatoter likes this.
  6. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah I thought of that too...Well we shall see if I can bring back a module from the dead.....:)

7. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please be careful messing around with used modules.

Another shop showed me this battery a DIY'er tried to fix themselves. The Prius drove and kept coding, so the owner bought an AutoZone OBD2 scanner and just kept clearing the codes when they occurred. After a while the battery overheated and caught fire. The fire department had to be called to extinguish the blaze.

[​IMG]

yotatoter and bwilson4web like this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is always a difficult decision:
    • Don't share until 'trust' established - it presumes the one with knowledge also has the skills to evaluate the abilities of others.
    • Share with caution - it presumes we are adults and understand that when one takes risks, no also accepts the consequences.
    I originally heard about the water rehydration experiments in "Prius Technical Stuff" and could not get any technical details from the author. However, there was reference to the Toyota/Panasonic Patent and that was enough.

As I reported earlier, I was not able to solve the 'plastic welding' problem used in the Toyota/Panasonic patent. I had tried epoxy and a Harbor Freight 'plastic welding' kit. I knew stainless steel, sheet metal screws were at best temporary. But the other 'hard' problem is repairing the "O" rings that leak gas that is normally generated by NiMH operation.

Now I intend to test the proposed 'drill out the safety vent' and replace with plastic hose and clamps in a modified, electric bicycle configuration. It will also incorporate a shunt regulator of my own design. But I'll only be using eight modules at a time. Still, I'm not ready to publish anything until I actually 'do the experiment' but warm weather is approaching!

So was that pack from a western state guy or the Florida guy?

Bob Wilson

9. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I got to thinking ,I know I know ,gets me in trouble,but isn't that more like a vent as you charge the battery it will vent a little and close back up as needed kinda like a pressure relief valve. If you hook up the hoses and a little pressure builds up the hose will pop and than you have no more restriction fro your vent.. guess that's why we experiment...good luck..

10. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well a small update on the battery module,I just checked on it before I left for work and its showing I have 2500 MAH charged into it,now whether this will actually hold a charge and hold under a load check remains to be seen. I will post tomorrow morning some time. I put it on a 3 cycle charge and I am only charging at .20 amp rate so as to not get it to hot as I just added water. So it will take a while..And while I think about it,I am just working on 1 battery that I have clamped in a vise with 2 boards that I cut to size..It might help minimize more modules blowing up or stretching the rods in the battery pack..

Old Wrench It likes this.
  11. yotatoter

yotatoter Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well ,so far attempt number 1 was a bust. I charged it for a while ,but it does not hold a charge. I will try againand let you know what happens..

12. Old Wrench It

Old Wrench It Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had been wondering if there's a way to use those vent holes for refilling- great idea, thanks for sharing!