1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging is probably going to be totally different for the next gens...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by BreakingPrius, Dec 20, 2013.

1. BreakingPrius

BreakingPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    "Toyota has licensed inductive charging technology from MIT spin-off WiTricity which could turn into better charging in electric vehicles.

Inductive charging, is also known as wireless charging, that uses an electromagnetic field to transfer energy between two objects. Many people see this type of charging as the future of all sorts of items including cell phones, laptop computers and vehicles. The idea is that when you place the object on a charging pad or park on one, the battery is recharged. In a vehicle, this means you could park in a designated “charging parking space” which would charge your battery as it sits there.

For electric vehicles, this could radically change how they are developed and vastly increase sales. Many consumers simply have “range anxiety” about how far they can drive their electric cars and others don’t want the hassle of plugging their car in each night. If the cars had wireless charging, that could change.
    This new breed of electric cars could be charged in a variety of ways. You could lay down a charging pad in your garage and each time you park, your car could be charged. Parking lots and cities could invest in charging pads. Then, when you park, your car can be charged. It could also spark a new “option” at gas stations. Instead of getting gas, you could park in a “super” charging pad that would quickly restore your battery power. All of these ideas could conceivably eliminate range anxiety all together. Without range anxiety or the need to plug it in, the two big drawbacks to electric vehicles would be gone. This could turn into a huge sales boom."

Here's the rest of the story.... Toyota Invests in Wireless Charging Startup - Better EV Charging

I think that's very interesting.

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This will be a high end add on/option, nothing more.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  3. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From my point of view, I foresee this becoming MUCH more than that!

4. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Eventually, perhaps, but for the foreseeable future, I agree this will be an expensive option. The only likely spot most people will be able to use it is at their home, and that's the only space it will make sense until we have charging rates great enough that the inefficiencies wireless charging brings can be overlooked.

5. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've used wireless charging for my Nexus 5 but ended up returning all devices I tried. I found it would charge slower and heat up my phone more. Of course, I assume this technology will get better over time. However I don't think it can surpass charging with a cable. I see it similar to being connected via Wi-Fi versus Ethernet, Wi-Fi is convenient but Ethernet is much faster.

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    not al new thinks invented will become mainstream
    you lose energy when using there kind of charging technics.
    i prever to just plugin!!

there is also a big drawback for e just petrol car and that is you need to go to the gasstation :p

7. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like you don't own a PiP yet. So easy to just plug in. So many potential problems with wireless.

8. Bill the Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    PIP won't make sense for me until I move out of Ohio. Carbon footprint of old coal fired power stations here is HUGE. However, I plan to retire in 6 years and move to a much more PIP friendly place along the seashore. The technology for charging will be much more mature by then.

9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What are the current wireless charging inefficiencies at?

10. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a good "clean " coal plant with the modern technologie is maybe less poluting then a ICE.. ( not sure about the prius, maybe that one is better ;-) )
    so if you go from a ICE to a EV or plugin you will always be better off

11. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you own a sonic care tooth brush, you already use inductive charging. The tech has been around for quite sometime. It seems like it would add some weight to the vehicle to charge a battery of any substantial size but how much would only be a guess at this point. It appears that Tesla is very serious about this approach and they probably have all the stats nailed down as far as weight etc. if anyone is that interested. I still think that the approach that we are all very familiar with and have used all our lives would work better (Tesla is working on it also). That is to have an easily removable battery pack that can be swapped out for a minimal cost in money and time. After all, the battery pack is just a power source and all the electronics can stay with the vehicle. They already use this approach in industrial machines such as forklifts etc. . Gas stations can become battery swap stations and offset the labor and charging cost comparable to buying a tank of gas. No more range anxiety and if the stations were solar/wind powered, very little carbon foot print. Sounds like the most feasible answer to me but I'm not Einstein.

dbcassidy likes this.
  12. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think that in the short-to-medium term the swappable battery method has already lost out in the marketplace (the one company pushing this, Better Place went bankrupt). It sounds good in theory, but in practice batteries are still very heavy and take up a significant amount of volume. Cars are much better when they don't have to design that around easily being removed and being compatible with most any car as they can spread the weight out low to the ground along the entire chassis.

For now, short range picks the low hanging fruit of vastly reducing the amount of energy to move most people the distances they need to go most days. With advances in charging technology, I think that by eh time 250 mile range EV's are widely available, DC fast recharging will have taken off to the point that you will be able to recharge to 80% in about 20 minutes or so.

markabele likes this.
  13. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

14. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Either way or maybe a combination of ways or even a whole new tech approach is fine with me as long as it's affordable for the average consumer, user friendly, eco friendly, and will be around for long enough to justify the expense.

15. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the problem with better place was not better place but the other car brands

better place needed one or just a few standard batter pack sizes but car makers did wanted to make any pack thet wanted and not stick to zise and chemisty that better place wanted or needed for a industry standard.

that and the low volume of EV;s made it go bankcrupped

16. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which is really just another way of saying the same thing. Take the Leaf; its batteries weigh 660lbs for its 75 miles or so of range in an overall car of 3300lbs. If an automaker were forced to design every vehicle around the standardized packaging of a component that was 1/5-1/3 the total weight of the vehicle it would greatly limit the innovation that could occur at exactly a time when cars should be free to innovate freely.

17. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How much do the batteries in a Tesla weigh for the range they get? I know fork lift batteries that are swapped out during charging weigh in at over a 1k lbs. in some cases but that's like comparing apples and oranges. It still seems that if a standardized battery size and shape were adopted, that cars could be designed around, it would work. How much does the ICE plus CVT weigh that cars are designed around now? If the current concepts that are being worked on right now prove successful, everyone will want on the band wagon. How long did the idea of using an internal combustion engine to power a vehicle take to become the standard? Innovation breeds success and the opposite is true too.

18. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  19. Bill the Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Love It! I'm ready for it NOW!!!

20. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Here’s How the Toyota Wireless Charging Will Work!