1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Charging using the Console 12V Power Socket

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jasonb13, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Jasonb13

Jasonb13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,

Hopefully a quick question. I use this socket to charge my mobile when I'm driving. The adapter for the mobile is a little tight when plugging it into the socket and is awkward to unplug as well.

If the phone is charging and I turn off the Prius ( press the Start button and remove the key ) then the phone stops charging.

So, my question is this. As I can see that the phone stops charging once I turn off the Prius ( and starts charging again when I turn it on ) am I right to assume that it's ok to leave the phone adapter plugged into the Power Socket all the time, even overnight etc.? In other words, when I turn off the Prius, that socket is 'turned off' as well and something plugged into it won't drain the battery?

I think this is the case, but would just like to make sure. It'd be handy to leave the mobile phone charger plugged into the socket all the time, and then just plug the mobile into it when needed.

Thanks!

J.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Leave it plugged in ... no problem.

1 person likes this.
  3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Both sockets (the one in the lower dash & the one inside the console) are switched off when the car is off.

1 person likes this.
  4. Blizzard10

Blizzard10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even if the sockets remained powered on when the car was off the battery wouldnt be drained unless something was drawing power.

If the phone itself isnt plugged into the adapter youve only extended the outlet to the end of the charger cord.. nothing is sucking power

1 person likes this.
  5. Jasonb13

Jasonb13 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your replies!

That's all exactly what I thought it was, but just wanted to double-check! I didn't want to come out the next morning to a dead battery. Thanks for confirming it for me...

J.

6. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This isn't completely true. If the device is using 12v straight through, then yes, it's possible. But if there's any conversion along the way there will still be a phantom draw somewhere in the adapter. That's why there are people making such a huge fuss about unplugging 110v wall chargers when you leave your house.

Of course this is all moot for the Prius as the others have said the 12v circuits are opened when you power off the car.

Sorry for nitpicking, Blizzard10, but I wanted to make sure that Jasonb13 didn't have the wrong information in case he did happen to encounter such an adapter.