1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Chevron, Shell, 76, or Costco

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by Notquite, Jan 27, 2014.

1. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I often go to different brand stations, all top-tier though. Is it bad to mix brands?

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    NO.
    Did you READ the post about it all coming out of the same pipeline ???????
    I don't think there are any refineries near your area.
    Even if there are, the answer still is NO, it's fine.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...if you have some gasoline distribution experience, maybe you know more than me. But I assume there could be differences in (energy contents) between EPA RFG regions and regular/premium etc.

4. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Until you start mixing in stuff like ethanol, any "energy content" differences are miniscule.

And you don't have to be a petroleum engineer to know that.

5. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The truth is that the mixture of chemicals in gasoline can vary enough to get different mpg's and often high test gas will yielfd higher Btu per pound than regular because the components needed to combat knock. But the difference brand to brand doesn't change enough to see it except on heat of combustion testing. And while high test will generally yield a little more heat of combustion when you do the statistics its not that much greater to justify the cost. Unless of course the high test doesn't have ethanol and the regular does, which seems to be the case a lot.

I do have petroleum refinery experience and the pipelines do not connect with a single refinery. Sure they all are transported in single pipelines but in batches not as a single mixture though there is some mixing when changing. But there isn't much difference except between octane levels and yes most additives are added at the bulk stiorage tank farms when the gas is loaded into trucks for distribution. If that has changed, and the drive for reducing gas costs is severe, then you may right about differences being meaningless for branding but not much else.

6. Dan Lovell

Dan Lovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Top tier gas is the same as cheapo gas, except for the additives.

The goodness in top tier is the abundance of additives. Otherwise the base gasoline is the same, and a commodity like soy beans.

Top Tier Gasoline

What really matters is the station's gas turnover, age of the holding tanks.

If you can find a cheap station that has fast frequent turn-over, go there, and to make up for the lessor additives, just drop a bottle of Techron in the tank every 3,000 miles.

7. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I use Top Tier gasoline. No exceptions. Better additives.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ....me too that's all I use...and the list of TopTierGas.com stations seems to be growing...now inlcudes BP and Costco which must be relatively new additions. We have a lot of top tier here (high gaso price area) so it's easy to use them.

...I think we are in agreement.. I am not saying everyone has access to higher energy content gasoline. I am just saying some might have access, in some regions, possibly in E0 for example. EPA seems to use a high energy content test fuel, and I heard a gas station at race track in WV sells it...maybe I try it someday. Chevron stresses that in RFG regions (my area) there is no energy content difference between Reg/Premium. Also of course when the summer fuels comes in, that will be a energy content shift. Right now I am measuring 0.72 density and I will check later to see density shift when summer fuel comes in.

priusCpilot likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is an interesting map of US Gasoline Requirements.
    http://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Policy/Alternatives/US-Gasoline-Requirements-Map.pdf
    Below I show a screen shot capture (use above link for better resolution).

What I am looking at is, significance to Prius owners: where might you see some gasoline MPG differences?
    • When I go from DC region to Pittsburgh, I am going from Southern RFG blend to a 7.8 RVP area. So the 7.8 RVP might imply more energy content...we shall see. Some of you (NC, GA, FL, etc) are in 7.0 RVP ...maybe a little more energy yet.
    • Re: Ethanol - Note the few blue states are those that mandate 10% ethanol. That is a semi-meaningless right now because the whole country is at E10. But it's not quite meaningless, because apparently smaller oil companies are not mandated to put in the 10% ethanol (in states like VA). So that means some people can get E0 - ethanol free - at 87/89/or 93 octane (eg; on I-81 in VA). Bet that stuff might be quite higher energy content than the RFG stuff I that have to use (see Pure-Gas.org to find E0 stations).
    US Gaso Requirements.jpg

10. -y0-

-y0- Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I always go to 76... because I have their gas card.:D

11. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Finally Costco is on the list.

Now you just have to wait in the 30 min line.