1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

choosing new tires for 2010 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by harbormaster, Nov 29, 2011.

1. harbormaster

harbormaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    need to replace oem yoko avids - only 24000 miles, looking at bridgestone ecopia ep422 vs bridgestone potenza as pole position.
    considering michigan winters - snow traction - rain - slush vs less mpg. Also considering Nokian's
    I have scanned the various forums and have some good info but the snow performance is a concern.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    thx

** Update - Spent the long dollar and bought 4 Nokian WRG2 tires. Made in Russia and used in Michigan. I'm sure they are worthy of our snow, I just hope they hold up over the years better than the Yokohoma S22 has. I will rotate every 6K and keep them aired up just as the tire doctor said to do. I will post any MPG anomolies over time.
    cheers

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you considered buying a set of extra wheels and dedicated snow tires? If you can afford to do so then that is the best and safest choice. All-season tires do not come close to the performance of a real studless snow tire like the Blizzak, Ice Xi2, or one from Nokian.

3. harbormaster

harbormaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You are right it would be optimal but $ is an issue. We were very happy with snow performance with the yoko avid that came with it - just not how they wore out. I'm just not certain the ecopia's will perform well in the snow. I have read the Potenza as pole positions perform well in snow but I would take a slight hit on mpg.

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Primacy MXV4 is supposed to do well in snow for an a/s. Very cushy ride, low noise and good traction. However, the mpg hit can be as high as 8% in low speed hilly driving.

MB860 ?

5. harbormaster

harbormaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After I settled on the Ecopia tires and went to go buy or order them I find out there are none in the States at all. I'm now leaning toward the bridgestone potenza as pole position. A directional tire that seems to have a great tread pattern and updated rubber compounds for good winter/snow traction.
    Does anyone have any feedback for
    1. directional tires on your prius
    2. this model tire and mpg drop.
    thx

6. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check Walmart and the Good Year Viva Fuel Max. Great price and great all season tire. I find them better on snow and ice than my winter tires. Hal

7. itsnicetobe

itsnicetobe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm at 23,000 miles and will soon need new tires. Not pleased with the low milage. I think I will go with the Michelin Primacy™ MXM4. They get great reviews.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There is a suprising lack of choice. You might consider Insignia SE200:

Costco.com - Shop for Tires

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I avoid directional tires since you cannot cross rotate.

10. Slovewell

Slovewell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I purchased the Michelin X tire because I drive so many miles in a year. I got 37,000 miles on the Avids and now consider myself lucky. My MPGs dropped just slightly and they do need to break in but they ride good and are 80,000 mile tires. I paid $103 each at Costco. They are good quality and I saw in the forums people were pretty satisfied with their choice. With the tires I have, and the winter gas, plus driving the car like I do all my other cars the MDF says I am about 51-52. That means calculated I am in the 40s. I keep the tire pressure at 40lbs. So, good luck. I hope this will help in your decision.

11. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately they don't come in the size required by the OP. I love the MXM4s. :)

If you're going to spend that much money on a 15" tire you might as well go big and get the Nokian enTYRE or Michelin MXV4. At least those are LRR tires.

Nokian eNTYR (All Season)
    UTQG=700 A A, 18.7lbs, 11/32, 831, $116 (Tiresbyweb.com)

Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 w/GreenX (All Season)
    UTQG=440 A A, 51PSI, 9/32, 830, $117

Lower cost tires that would work well are the:

Continental ProContact with eco Plus (All Season)
    UQTG=600 A B, 44PSI, 11/32, 17LBS, 831, $75

Hankook Optimo H727 (All Season) reported to be great in snow
    UTQG=700 A B, 44PSI, 11/32, 20LBS, 831, $76

Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (All Season)
    UTQG=580 A A, 51PSI, 10/32, 18LBS, 836, $90

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When my Blizzak winter tires need replaced after this winter, I am debating looking for an all season that's supposed to do well in snow. That Hankook Optimo might be on my list. The last 2 winters have been bad here, but it really is hit-or-miss in this area, and we tend to get several days in the 50s-60s during winter and those temps wear out the snow tires a bit quicker.

I'd probably continue to do the seasonal swap with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires until they wear out, though, since I just got them this year.

14. itsnicetobe

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

The MXM4 get better reviews than the MXV4 and I need 17 inch tires, not 15 inch.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was referring to the OP who has a model III which comes with 15" wheels. :)

I know the MXM4 gets better reviews. I have them on my car. ;)

16. itsnicetobe

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Sorry for the misunderstanding.:) How are your MXM4 wearing and how many miles do you expect them to last?

17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you don't wanna go with winter tires Nokain eNTYRE is probably your best bet. They are LRR so MPG should not go down comp to Avids, 70,000mi warranty and if anyone knows about building good winter tires it has to be Nokian. No personal experience but they have good reviews good luck

18. harbormaster

harbormaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I understand. But I'm just not sure if that will be an issue if this car is grinding tires down this fast. (love the car - so does the wife - the primary driver)
    I can get a great deal on the bridgestones just now thru costco and plan on replacing every two or three seasons...
    I would like to get 30 - 40 K out of a set of tires. (Yes we did rotate, but I was a bit over on the air psi)

19. harbormaster

harbormaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I do love what I hear about Nokian's - have a work associate that raves about them. I just wish they were a little bit cheaper and had a larger dealer network. Have a concern about being on a trip and having an issue and unable to get proper coverage. At 350 ish out the door at costco - its hard not to consider the bridgestone potenza as pole position.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Potenza Pole Position all-season tire is pretty unremarkable unless you are trying to autocross or something. It's not a LRR tire so MPG will suffer. It is not a high warranty tire either nor is it remarkably cheap. You would do better with something like the Continental ContiContactPro with EcoPlus. $80/ea and an 80,000 mile warranty plus they are LRR. If you like dealing with Costco then the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 is a better choice than the Potenza.