1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaned hv blower and battery. Battery temp now hotter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by epoch_time, May 12, 2013.

1. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I removed hv battery blower for cleaning. blew out lint/dust/dirt with compressor keeping blower blades stationery (spinning blower with compressed air can burn it out). Then with prius half dissembled I decided to remove hv battery for cleaning (additional 6 hours).

Tested blower with a variable voltage bench power supply found that it puts out a couple of pounds of thrust at 12.6 volts and pulling 5.25 amps..Blower is labled 12vdc and clearly markes + and - terminals. Turning voltage down to about 3.75 volts pulling about 1 amp blower sounds about the same rpm's as its first prius selected cooling speed and blowing a nice amount of air (no more thrust).

Removed hv battery, removed battery cover, blew between battery modules with compressed air didn't see much if any dust..
    Checked battery terminal nuts without torkwrench.. but applying about 3.5 pounds of (tightening) tork to all battery terminals about 12 of them turned 1/16 revolution all other terminal nuts were solid and didn't move at all.

Installed battery cover, installed battery. connected everything. Prius wouldn't ready because I didn't have service plug in the lock position (my first time removing and reinstalling service plug). drove car 5 or 6 miles with rear interrier pannels off to make sure everything was ok. Then reassembled entire rear of vechicle..

Drove prius about 20 miles only to see an increase of hv battery temperature.. Battery temp before cleaning with heavy regen and battery assist was 107 degrees (outside temp 73 degrees) now 116 degrees batt temp.

Dissembled rear of car the next day to check everything. I decided to jumper blowermotor directly to battery and discovered slight air leak between input air duct and output duct.. and discovered engineered leaks designed by toyota (3 cammel humps in base plate where battery cover attaches are engineered leaks only observable under high speed blower operation) .

I Moved battery carrier catch plate more toward passenger side and duct leak went away...I had previous reinstalled battery carrier catch plate more toward drivers side. The battery carrier catch plate is a thin sheet metal plate that clips to the hv battery vent tube and mounts between input and output ducts. With its bolts loose the carrier catch plate can move +or- 3/16 inch. Latter tear downs for increased battery temp indicate battery carrier catch plate hasn't much effect on battery cooling ?

Anyway reassembled everything I still feel hv battery temperature is higher than before.
    I then found scanguage command to manually control hv battery blower..This alone should be discussed in a new thread.

Also of special mention; regen battery current used to peak at 92 amps. After tighting 12 of 56 battery connections regen peaks slightly over 100 amps, my scanguage displays erraticly after 99.9 amps. I see 97 amps with moderately hard braking as compared to before I would see 92 amps regen..

I don't believe this additional peak regen current is causing the higher battery temperatures i'm observing.
    All the under torqued battery terminal nuts were on the driverside end of the battery module string.
    Could this driverside end be subject to higher temperature deviations eventually loosening battery terminal nuts?

Another special note is the toyota hv battery service documentation shows all battery terminal nuts are not reuseable. And all high current carring connections it says to use new nuts..

I used the same nuts to reconnect orange high voltage high current cables to the hv battery...
    I speculate now ; Are new nuts cleaner than old nuts.? are new nuts using self locking threads..?
    Anybody used new nuts for the hv battery connections? are new nuts available at the dealer (I dought it) ?

Another notation; The gen I prius had tsb on hv battery bus replacement and + battery terminal sealant applicaton. I read the document for doing this it states wash all parts in boric acid mixture to eliminate corosion.. And wash hands thoughly before reassembly.. could I have inadvertantly contaminated by battery system terminal nuts with corosive electrolite acid leading to eventual connection failure ? (no battery leakage seen).

I dissembled and reassembled the rear interier of my prius (blower side only) about 4 or 5 times now (takes me only 1 hour per cycle including analysis).

I would recomend blowermotor cleaning but not to clean hv battery..
    My blower had about 1/8 inch junk between fan blades my prius has 56000 miles 95% driven with windows up.

I believe I have affected air flow within the battery case somehow..
    I will nodought be taking battery cover off in the near future to see what gives.

Also of special notation there is a green tape seal over the battery ecu lid that was cut on my system prior to my entry.
    (I purchased the car from the dealer with only 8 miles on vechicle and nobody has ever touched my prius).

Also there is a missing nut on the lower right which holds battery assembly to battery base plate...I've seen about 3 pictures of gen II batteries on the internet now, all have the same missing nut.

Also I believe the engineered air leaks in the battery cover are so the driver can smell the batterys over heating which I've experienced in rentals and my own while decenting mountains...Running airconditioning on high with headlights and using brake mode seems to keep hv battery from overcharging and smelling while coasting down steep mountains..

I am keeping my hv batt cool with manual scanguage control.. whats bizzare is the more I cool the battery the harder the prius works the battery..

I've seen this bizare effect last summer when I put a foam pipe between passenger side air-conditioner vent and battery intake vent enabling cold air to be piped to the hv battery.. This also resulted in the prius working the battery harder. After hours of city driving battery got hot anyway due to the higher demand prius system placed on the hv battery.

It seems the intake thermister located about 4 inches from air intake duct above battery module 3 ? determins how hard to work/stress the hv battery...

Also I wouldn't recommend putting the hv blower in high speed modes without first cleaning junk/debris from blower. Because cloged blower could blow junk into battery cooling channels..

The first 3 speeds the prius automaticly selected are very slow compared to manual speeds 5 and 6.
    I would guess the prius selected third speed to be under 1200 rpm but speed 5 & 6 8000-10000 rpm guess-timating would blow dirt and junk into battery box..

Also manual selection of blower speed with scanguage, I believe changes/interfeers with the prius selected speeds 1 & 2 to be much slower than normal...But I cannot prove this yet...
    Many times I've seen system speeds 1 & 2 to be slower than manual selected scanguage speed number one..!!

I'm attaching a thermal evaluation none on the gen I hv battery that seem applicable for those with special hv battery interests.

As always please excuse spelling errors..

Attached Files:

w2co and SFO like this.
  2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great write-up ! That is disappointing that the battery temps appear to be higher after doing such good preventive maintenance work. Keep us posted on whether the temps appear to remain high or not.

I have a little over 60,000 miles on my car and have thought about doing the same thing at 100,000 miles. While I was connecting a 120 VAC inverter to the HV battery I checked my fan blower motor and it was suprisingly very clean.

Thanks for the article on the thermal testing of the Prius battery. During the dog days of summer with temps in the 95-1ooF range I have seen my battery temps in the 110-120F range. I have wondered if this was too high but according to the testing in this paper it is right in line with their testing. This makes me feel a lot better.

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, good work on your tests. I would not worry about anything just yet, and I bet your terminal nuts are still OK. No one else who has rebuilt their batteries has mentioned any problem in this regard, and your amperage readings would indicate that things are fine.

I run Prii-dash, and watch how my battery temps and HV fan voltage vary. I must say that there is not an easily discerned cause and effect, as I see higher battery temps sometimes with a moderate fan voltage, and lower temps sometimes with a higher fan voltage. It can be different on different days, but the same driving conditions. Your before and after readings are not so far apart that I would be concerned. Definitely the car will send more amps through the batteries when they are cool. Those peak amps are not necessarily what you want for best battery longevity or MPG, however.

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have observed similar results with the battery temps and fan speeds with SGII. I have come to the opinion that the BMS uses other sensors, such as outside temp, cabin temp and daylight sensor, along with battery temp rate of rise to determine cooling fan speeds. On cooler, cloudy days the BMS seems to be less agressive with battery cooling fan speeds than on hot, sunny days.

nh7o likes this.
  5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did you check the one way exhaust air vent gate by the 12 volt battery. I changed a friends 12 volt battery a few months back and discovered the vent stuck shut. Some finger pressure against the vent and it snapped open, and was then free to open and close with air flow.

John (Britprius)

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That little fan pulls 5.25 amps? Wow. Never heard of a little DC fan pulling more than .5
    Spinning a fan blade with compressed air does not harm a fan.
    Does the bearing area of the fan have a paper seal over it and could be oiled like just about every other 12 v fan?
    Lowes sells the exact fan motor oil made by 3 & 1.

Should have put new nuts on the HV battery assy with some anti-corrosion grease like Nyloc. Even slight corrosion not easily seen by eye on the mating surface of the nut can affect connectivity.

You did the hard part and removed the battery. That's alot of work.

7. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes the rubber flap swings freely. But only on sg speed 1 not on prius speeds 1 or 2.

In fact there is a two by three inch hole in the bottom of the exhaust vent that exhausts onto the aux 12 volt battery. I cannot feel any air flow when I put my fingers into this hidden exhaust opening on prius blower speeds 1 and 2. I only feel air flow with scanguage speed 1 and above.
    Could someone with virgin prius hv batt check for airflow in the hidden exhaust vent hole? The cargo carrier has to be removed for access.
    Hv battery temp should be 105 for system speed .
    The hv battery cools nicely while on the highway but not good while stopped.
    If fact just after hiway drive exhaust duct is hot from doing its job. Duct is not even warm while stationary.

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do not quite understand what you have written. You say the flap swings freely on SG speed 1, not having scan gauge in the UK is that fast or slow, but not on Prius speeds 1 or 2 I know these are slow.

John (Britprius)

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do you by any chance have an Optima 12 volt battery. The OEM battery when fitted correctly blocks the hole in the duct. This hole is basically cut to clear the corner of the battery, I do not believe the Optima achieves this.

I will try and do a test on the flap operation this weekend using Techstream to manipulate the fan speed.

John (Britprius)

10. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    FWIW, there is a second vent to outside roughly in the same position in the wheel
    well on the drivers side. IIRC, it is for cabin ventilation... and maybe it vents the 12V
    battery across the storage tray/spare tire well. But if the invisible vent on the HV
    ducting provides air for the 12V battery, than this second vent flap also needs to
    move freely, perhaps even moreso than the one in the HV ducting as it doesn't always
    'see' HV battery cooling fan flow/pressure.

11. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Britprius. teckstream/sgII blower speed 1 is slow but faster than prius system speeds 1 and 2.
    My 12 volt battery is the toyota prius battery and not optima. I did intall the 12 battery myself but as I recall it fit snugly in the
    battery pan.. and the exhaust ducts are screwed in place.. I'm reasonably certain all is installed correctly and that exhaust duct
    has at least one inch clearance between battery. I will have to double check this clearance as your explanation seem likely.

EDtheFox. I can't be certain if the blower motor is brushless or brush type. A two wire brushless dc motor has transistors
    and hall magnetic sensors to fire stator coils at the approriate time for armature rotation...Spinning a 2 wire brushless
    motor that has internal transistorized stator coil control will damage its transistors especially if the blower gets spun
    backwards which happens when cleaning with compressed air... Unsure if its brushless it's best not to spin it while cleaning..

I couldn't see what kind of bearing seal if any exists.. The squirel cage blower has a recessed bottom where the motor
    was attached. Several write-ups suggest the motor speed control is using PWM (pulse width modulation) suggests also that
    the hv blower motor would be brushless. I dont think It would be efficient to control a conventional comutator dc type motor
    with PWM. And for longevity I would hope toyota choose brushless blower motor for this critical application.

I tore down prius again this week removing battery cover again, this time for a detailed inspection of air seals..
    Prior to removing battery cover I devised an air pressure measurement test using a cessna aircraft altimeter..

The aircraft altimeter is completely sealed unit with a threaded hole in the back of it that senses air pressure.
    I was able to attach hose between altimeter and battery case by removing one of the three nylon posts located on the top of hv battery
    cover.
    I measured about 60foot decrease in altitude (.06 inch mecury back pressure) with blower connected directly to 12 volt battery..
    Compareing this to .77 inch of water (.056 inch mercury) specified in the lab tests done on gen-I battery (from My orignal attachment)).

Special note here; gen-I battery is cooled by blower sucking air through 38 batteries. @9.9 volts .056 inch hg
    gen_II battery is cooled by blower blowing air through 28 batteries @12.9volts .060 inch hg (mine)

I don't have factory specifications for genII battery air flow/pressure.

prius gen 1 blower specifications
    speed temp on temp off volts amps power scfm press drop
    low 95.9 91.4 3.52 1.3250 15.90 15.9 .095h20 = .00477hg (Start/stop/amps/pwr good for genII)
    med 106.7 104 6.5 2.7 17.55 32.6 .350h20 = .02571hg
    high 122 118.4 9.9 4.9875 49.38 48.4 .770h20 = .05658hg

I believe genI and genII blower motors are identical because my genII blower showed the same currents at the voltages shown above.
    I don't know if the squriel cage assemblies/cfm are the same for genI and genII.

My airflow inspection of the seal in the battery box didn't show anything obviously wrong.

The seal consists of about 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch single side adheasive foam strip thats stuck to the top part of the battery
    cover and seals across the outside battery tops just above battery terminals. The same continous foam strip seals
    against the top of the battery end clamps (sandwitch end brackets).

My final area of concern is the battery carrier catch plate that clips to hv battery vent tube and case between intake and exhaust
    ducts. The prius service manual says this catch plate is to be installed prior to installing battery cover (not that obvious because
    one would think the catch plate is part of the cover NOT).

This battery catch plate is very thin metal with four large nuts welded into it. Overtorqueing the associated large bolts
    bends the battery catch plate. Mine didn't bend till about the fourth time torking and untorking/repositioning it
    (actually bent untorking it).

This battery catch plate has two single sided adheasive foam strips one at each vertical end that are critical and not very obvious
    how they seal.
    I straighted MY catch plate perfectly (has structural creases for strength but still flimsy considering the large bolts
    that attach it). I studied how the two foam strips on this battery catch plate seal for no less than 30 minutes before I figure
    it out I THINK?

oK reassembled battery case, tested back pressure now I have even less pressure (failure?) .057hg was .06hg.
    I did blow between battery modules with compressed air again, before assembly (maybe blew out more dust nothing obvious).

Test drove prius the battery seems slightly cooler even though I have less backpressure (more air leakage?).

Conclusion; There are many places where the air can leak (bypass battery cooling channels) within the battery assemply.
    many of which will seal as fine particles of dirt/dust plugs the smaller gaps between battery module terminals.

Note; With 1 of the three nylon posts removed from the battery case top I can feel (with my cheek) a good amount of warm air
    flowing from the hole with the slowest blower speed but nothing measurable with altimeter back pressure test.

Special Note;Hv battery always cools best when car is traveling 40mph and above. I'm begining to think the blower is continously
    variable using PWM and possibly runs high speed concealed just below road noise (stealth mode).

The faster you drive the more road noise and easier to conceal High battery temperature/cooling noise?
    I've pondered this stealth high speed blower theory for years but more so now! (nonconfirmed stealth mode)

Also of importance: the battery is more efficent at 105-110 degrees. Its temperature is a vital feedback component to its
    charge/discharge closed loop system.
    I've seen several pc posts "Why is my battery charging its allready at 7 green bars" ; System trying to heat up hv battery
    to highest efficency ??
    Switch blower to high speed (with sgII) system doubles the load on battery instantly.. put foam pipe between passenger air conditioner vent
    and battery intake vent; system doubles the load on batterys instantly.. iNTAKE THERMISTER CONTROLS LOAD REGARDLESS OF EXISTING BATTERY TEMP.
    IE; battery temp 116 degrees blower switched to high; instant 20 amp battery assist while allready going 50mph (provided 7 green bars soc).
    IE; battery temp 116 degrees blower switched to high; regen jumps from 50 amps to 90 amps
    IE; battery temp 116 degrees blower switched to high; charge current limit and discharge limit instantly goes to default (105, 125 amps).
    Prius closed loop/feedback system will determine and manage bettery temp regardless.

This week I'm exploring 07e321cf 056116cf 3808 000100010000 (scan-guage-programming) I believe this is showing battery module balancing.
    Readings 00EF indicate module pair (14) E is to high (F) followed by 00E0 = discharge the pair with possibly .350 amp. reading toggles
    between read voltage EF and discharge it (E0, E1, E2, E3) E8 = no ballancing nessary..next DC = pair 13 high toggles between
    DA and D3 , D3 is less load than D0, Next cell pair to balance cA THEN BA THEN AA counts backward...

NOT full CONFIRMED. I've measured my battery modules twice now all center modules exactly the same to two decimal
    places ie 8.01 end modules can be .01-.02 higher or lower depending on air flow.. amazingly equal voltages...

I will post any significant progress in the future..Its been 5 days since doing the above and the battery is slightly cooler..

nh7o likes this.
  12. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An update: After another run in pretty hot weather, my battery temps were noticeably lower than the previous trip. My travels take me on a 110 mile circuit, the same every time, so I have a pretty good idea of how the system reacts. Last trip did not see anything over 44C. The previous trip got up to 49C, which was just after I cleaned my not very dirty HV battery fan, and was not as hot outside as this last trip.

I think it is safe to assume that the battery ECU must be doing some battery balancing and checking on a periodic basis. My best guess is: If it is doing an equalization charge, then the temps will be running a bit higher. If it is doing a capacity check, then one may see purple bars on the MFD at times. It is necessary to watch things for a few days before coming to any conclusions about the HV battery. There seems to be a lot of computation going on in the HV battery ECU.

Data Daedalus and Agent J like this.
  13. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am reviving this old thread because I am looking for the ScanGauge XGauge to monitor the HV cooling fan motor speed and haven't been able to find it on any ScanGauge list anywhere. There is a code for the GenIII Prii I have found but it doesn't seem to work for the GenII?

Also, it looks like epoch_time listed the fan on battery temp as 95.9 F for low speed, 106.7 F for medium speed and 122 F for high speed on the GenI Prii are these the same "On" temps for the fan in the GenII?

Thanks for the help. Trying to get Ema to 500K and HV battery temp/condition is my biggest concern.

Chris

14. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Not sure about the fan motor speed but you can get the fan voltage by querying 7E3, 21D0 and listen for reply on 7EB61D0 and the fan voltage is 0.2*(d[66]-128) where d[66] is the 66th data byte. This will require multi-frame reading which wasn't available for older versions of ScanGauge firmware. Alternatively just look at the temperature ranges buC and blC that have been well documented for ScanGauge.

SFO likes this.