1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cleaning out Engine Air Intake

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Feb 25, 2014.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This came up in one of my endless threads about mice woes.

Anyway, Patrick Wong suggested I clear the intake tunnel and I thought why not do this on a maintenance basis for all cars?

Any reason why not?

Not too tough to do....Here is Patrick's suggestion (which, once again, he made in specific response to my mouse problem):

I'd like to propose a labor-saving alternative to my earlier suggestion of accessing the air resonator chamber located in the front passenger wheel well. Instead, disconnect the air duct that leads to the engine air filter housing, and attach that to a shop vacuum hose, using packaging tape for a good seal. Turn on the vacuum and see what is sucked up.

Then, attach the vacuum hose to the shop vacuum exhaust, and blow air back into the air duct. See what comes out of the air inlet which faces towards the windshield washer reservoir. Make sure you have an unimpeded flow of air before you declare victory.

2. Gerry Hartzell

Gerry Hartzell New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have not been able to blow out or suck out what is totally blocking my air intake assembly. I've tried from inlet and outlet. Can any one tell me how to remove the portion below the headlight. "Please"

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You probably would need to jack up the right front corner of the car, support that corner with a jackstand, remove the tire, then remove the plastic fender liner for access to the intake air resonator.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why do you think there’s something blocking the intake?

Prodigyplace likes this.