1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CNBC: Trash Inc: The Secret Life of Garbage

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by cwerdna, Oct 4, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    News Headlines

Brief review at Television review: 'Trash Inc.'A CNBC documentary offers a fascinating look at what happens to garbage in the U.S. and abroad. - Los Angeles Times
    I've recorded it (it's available in HD) but haven't watched it yet. I figure it should be of interest to people in this sub-forum.

If you have both CNBC and CNBC World, you should be able to catch a rerun on 10/4, 10/6, or 10/9 and I'd imagine, many other points in the future. Check your PVR or favorite TV listing site (e.g. zap2it.com, tvguide.com, etc.) for exact rerun times.

1 person likes this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks. Though I'm not sure I want to see it. After all, ignorance is bliss and I think I might still have a sliver of happiness remaining.

Also worth a visit is The Story of Stuff

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can call it making garbage...

But I like to think of it as creating 250 Million Tons of Soggy Opportunity.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It was rerun earlier today and will be rerun again on the morning of 4/22 per News Headlines. Another showing on 5/12.

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tony, stick the crayon backup your nose.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Language shapes our conceptions.

Just thinking of the recent WikiLeaks fiasco: the soldier alleged responsible for much of the information leaks was charge with something like "consorting with the enemy". Not that sure of the verb, but the noun was "enemy".

Started thinking about that. Are we that far gone, that some of our fellow inhabitants are simply "enemies", ie: no redeaming qualities, a total waste of space, the world would be better off, etc etc? Not sure I came to any conclusions, but it got me thinking about the words we use, how they shape us.

So: garbage. Kind of a similar word, like "enemy". Again, something that has no redeaming value, should be dismissed, disposed, shovelled out of sight. Over in Japan right now they're trying to figure out what to do with with some radioactive "garbage".

Both "garbage" and "enemy" strike me as words just rife with procrastination, ie: words that imply: I'll deal with you later, can't handle you, don't know what to do with you, want you to just disappear. But it doesn't, does it.

Sorry, rambling ;)

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This show's being rerun again on 10/2. It's still on my TiVo from last year as I somehow hadn't gotten to watching it yet... :eek:

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did finally watch this a few weeks ago. It was insightful. I didn't realize China had such a terrible garbage problem, esp. outside of areas that tourists/foreigners would probably go.

It looks like one can watch the full ep at Trash Inc. The Secret Life of Garbage - CNBC if you don't want to wait for it to be rerun on TV.