1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coach's Update and PiP questions

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by coach81, Jul 25, 2012.

1. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So its been a while since I dropped in....

Just when we paid off the house, and both vehicles and things were really looking up.. the wife lost her job....

That went on for a few months, now she is working in a temp position until December.. I'm hoping this will lead to a full time position before then....

Anyway.. the Frontier is about the same.. oil leak, creaky, and a bit run down.. but still running...

Finally to the point....

1. Those that have the PiP... is it all that you had hoped???
    2. What are you initial findings.. the good, and the bad??
    3. How many of you can drive "gas free" everyday?
    4. How much is it costing you between electricity / fuel per month?

Thanks all...

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since I had realistic expectations from doing lots of research and having the opportunity to drive one long before the pre-order opportunity, yup.

EV-BOOST mode continues to be the strong feature. It's makes a lot of sense when traveling at high speeds and is pleasantly efficient (+100 MPG at 70 mph). Efficiency after depletion is great (50 MPG).

As for bad, I'm thinking people won't realize just how much the 4.4 kWh really delivers. They'll just assume it's too small rather than actually considering the actual MPG results.

Couldn't care less. It's a plug-in hybrid, not an EV.

Not enough data yet to draw conclusions. Check my website for on-going detail collection...

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry about your wife's job Coach:(

John is exactly right one #1. Expectations are everything when gauging satisfaction. You do a good amount of research so I expect you will be happy with whatever you get.

What are your priorities? As John said, EV range really doesn't matter much with any hybrid if overall efficiency is your priority. Overall gas usage comes into play if your concern is fuel price. But if that is the case then how about up front car prices?
    Where you get your electricity comes into play if your biggest concern is CO2 emmissions.
    Although, if the trade deficit and national security is your only concern, then the absolute least amount of gasoline used is probably your biggest concern, regardless of efficiency.

4. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the replies....

5. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nothing has changed in my life/commute so I was spending about $175 a month for gas on my HCH2. I traded it in and went for the PiP. I'm spending $50/mo in gas and my electric bill went up about $40-50.

Do I love the car: emphatic yes.

6. 1051

1051 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Are you charging after midnight when the rates are down?

I have a 2011 Nissan LEAF and a PIP and have been on a TOU plan with SCE and my bill is actually went down, we are also running are pool after midnight. Since we have had the PIP our SCE bill had not changed.

7. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I did not change my plan. I teach only
    2 days a week and freelance the other 5 day from my home. We both have computers which run during the day. I also like to run the AC during August/September when it gets really hot. Was worried my bill would go up even more.

Do you recommend the EV plan offered for those who do not have a separate meter? Do you ever charge during the day? Sometimes when I get home I charge the vehicle only to go back out again.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ditto. Sorry to hear about the wife's job.

I agree, the above question is super important. If coach is looking for a cheap very efficient car and doesn't care about it not being a PHEV, a Prius c might be good enough.

9. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1. Absolutely. My wife works 1.8 miles away from home. After a full charge we are seeing, on average, about 11 miles on a full battery. So, she gets to go to work, run around town and then back home all on Electric Vehicle mode and still have battery left over. We have a 2006 Prius and this Plug-in seems so much like a grown up version. It's just elegant.

2. We just got ours about a month ago. It has exceeded our expectations, period. We would do it again in a heart beat. Just take a test drive like we did and it only took me 10 minutes before I was totally sold.

3. We do it all the time except when we travel to Milwaukee etc. But even there we are seeing between 60 and 75 mpg. It's just unreal. And all we are doing is just driving it. It's so much fun too.

4. Well, in a month with about 1100 miles on the ODO we have only gone to the gas station just once. Also, we have time of day rates here (nite time rates are $.047/kwh) so it's stupid cheap. In the last three weeks, ever since we purchased a "Kill-A-Watt" device, which measures usage, we have used about $2.25 in electricity usage. This is great.

We got the advanced technology version and we love it.

Any questions? No? Good. You will love it.

Cheers