1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Combined furnace and water heater...is this any good?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by jcgee88, Nov 17, 2010.

1. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone have any experience with the following product,
    which is not only a high efficiency water heater, but also
    can be used to heat up your house, too:

http://www.americanwaterheaternews.com/media/lit/polaris/Polaris_Residential_spec_sheet.pdf

--

It's not really a furnace, rather, if you add an air handler
    to it, you can use its hot water to drive forced air heat,
    thus, it can be made into the equivalent of a furnace.

With (cheap) natural gas, it is rated at 96% efficiency. As
    one combined device that runs at such high efficiency, and
    is cheaper to buy*, takes less space and is potentially
    cheaper to operate than separate furnace and water heater,
    I have to say this seems attractive.

*mid capacity version of it costs about the same as a high
    efficiency furnace.

What I wonder about is:

1. Even though it heats water efficiently, is using hot water
    to heat space efficient? In other words, being extremely
    efficient at performing something inherently inefficient is no
    gain (for example, using solar to drive electric heating).
    2. Can one unit actually provide sufficient heat to do both
    functions?

If anyone has any experience with this, I'd appreciate your
    opinion!

P.S. I put this in under "Environmental" because I'm trying to
    architect a greener HVAC solution for my home.

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heating space with hot water/steam is a very efficient solution, provided it is done well. Well designed hot water systems have less heat loss system wide than a comparable forced air system.

As to whether or not the system you cite is good or bad, I have no idea. If you are building from scratch, consider getting very good, very competent local advice before you buy/build anything. For example, a hot water system may be a great idea in one climate, but if you need A/C it might be better to do a forced air system for example. Also a combination system that is very efficient, may not be so efficient in the summer when the space heating requirement is nil. Some of the better hot water systems I have seen are demand water heater coupled to a radiant heat system.

Good luck.

Icarus

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't this just a domestic hot water heater? cold water comes in and hot water goes out. you need a boiler to recirculate the water for radiators or an air handler. you cannot combine that with domestic (potable) water unless you use a heat exchanger. i think what you want is a high efficiency boiler and seperate domestic water heater that runs off of it.

4. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This seems eerily familiar to what my condo had for it's forced air heat. The hot water heater also provided the heat through an exchanger or some sort and the air was blown over it to heat it. The problem I had (and this was 5 years ago, with a 10 yr old unit) is that when it was heating the house and pulling hot water for successive showers, it became warm water and not hot water. I'm sure they've come a long way since then, and I also have no idea how well insulated the hot water pipes were. It was also a propane unit vs NG. All told, it worked pretty well, I just adjusted the programmable thermostat to accommodate. I also recommend speaking with a professional about this as I have no clue on technical information.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it probably just wasn't sized properly for the amount of showers you had and they usually are set to prioritize domestic hot water over heat.

6. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the problem...advice on such a unique product
    is hard to come by.

A little more background, I am in the process of getting
    both a new high efficiency furnace and a hopefully high
    efficiency water heater. Both current units are nearing
    the end of their expected useful life, though both still work
    fine. The furnace needs to be a specific efficiency to
    qualify for the Federal tax credit. I don't need the water
    heater to be high efficiency, per se, because our family
    doesn't use that much hot water to begin with, and
    there is scant Federal tax credit left over once I buy
    a high efficiency furnace.

I stumbled upon this combined product today. I realized
    that if it could do the job well, then I could save money
    by buying one device instead of two, and I'd get the full
    30% tax credit across the entire purchase, versus just
    on the furnace.

The problem I have is determining if this approach is
    equivalent or better than two discrete units, both in
    terms of user experience and operating cost. My
    furnace guy doesn't do plumbing and my plumbing guy
    doesn't do furnaces, so neither can give me effective
    advice on a combined unit. Nor are there any online
    reviews of it describing my intended dual use.

7. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Subscribed. I have a 12-year old water heater that's due for replacement and an 80% efficient furnace that's getting long in the tooth. We never used the AC in the house, so it's not a big deal.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your domestic hot water needs are small, you might want to consider a smaller on-demand unit, which eliminates the inefficiency of having to keep the water hot all the time.

Hydronic heating systems are great. The radiators tend to stay warm most of the time, and they give off a fair bit of heat. But the system you're looking at appears to use a central radiator to heat air, which is then circulated through your existing ducts. I'm not sure the 'whole system' efficiency would be as high as stated for heating the water, but it's bound to be better than running two separate systems, and hopefully cheaper to install.

9. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with HYO.

I would consider a good demand gas water heater (ideally use solar for preheat unless you use hot water recovery A/C) for DHW, and a dedicated boiler for your radiant. That said, you might look for a plumber hvac guy who is versed in the technology. You are making a big investment in your house, and saving energy going forward is a big deal.

I don't know where you are located, but I assume someone has done some calcs as to the proper size BTU rating hvac system for your house. When you know that (and post it here) it might be easier to give a better idea of what might be a better solution.

Icarus

10. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If the specs on this are to be trusted, and if I'm reading them correctly, then using a standard on-demand gas water heater probably wouldn't save energy for the water heating.

Here, the unit is claiming 96% efficiency and 1% standby losses.

That 1% standby loss seems seems plausible to me. On a conventional gas water heater, most of the standby loss is due to the uninsulated flue running through the center of the tank. Here, they eliminate the flue.

So, no pilot light loss, 1% standby loss, 96% efficient -- that's hard to beat.

A standard (non-condensing) tankless heater will run maybe 80-something percent efficient. And the condensing tankless units advertise the same 96% as the Polaris.

E.g.,

Tankless Water Heater

So you'd have to go all the way to condensing tankless to be able to beat this. And then, you'd beat it by a percent. And at that point, the cost of the alternative is going to be in the neighborhood of the cost of this unit.

Of more concern to me, when I Googled Polaris water heater, one of the "auto type" options that popped up was Polaris water heater problems. Hard to say from what you read but it looked like a lot of unhappy customers. And the parts prices that they mentioned were kind of breathtaking. Given that, the idea of running this unit really hard, to make it serve as a furnace, I wouldn't find that appealing.

OTOH, not having to buy a furnace would pay for some pretty substantial repairs.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would skip it. There should be information in your area about cost reliability and efficiencies of Heating systems. Trying to make your hot water system heat your house is not straight forward. Good hot water systems are very straightforward, while heating systems are often a regional choice and depend much on the existing unit in the home. Just because natural gas is likely your choice for both does not mean it will be the best system for your house.

From a pease of mind point of view, I'd want my new heating unit to go in and be pretty bullet proof. I doubt you will get a big enough price break up front to make you feel good about problems in the future.

12. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We had a similar system when we lived outside of Boston and it worked very well. Ours was a forced hot water furnace that also handled hot water - the furnace heated it on its own zone and then stored it in a tank next to the furnace. Our town did not have gas lines so heating choices were oil, bottled gas and electric so that's why we used oil. All in all I was very happy with the system and would not hesitate to get something similar in the future.

13. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's my situation now in regards to options. Unfortunately, there aren't many options in terms of efficiency and reliability when you're in that position, esp if you don't want another tank. I have an oil furnace, heat pump, and pellet stove for heating (pellet gets used most, as it's "renewable" energy) and the heat pump will be used over oil depending on the costs (I have a PV array on the roof so that comes into play some) and temps outside.

I'm looking at an electric HW heater, that combines a heat pump and electric elements. From what I've read, it's supposed to be about 60% more efficient than a standard electric water heater. I'm debating whether I want to try to sneak it in using the tax credit, or wait a year and see if they start to drop in price.

14. jcgee88

jcgee88 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I already looked at on demand (=tankless), but
    concluded that they are not the best solution for me.
    The #1 benefit of on demand is that you "never run
    out of hot water." Even with a smallish 40 gallon
    traditional hot water heater, I've never run out of hot
    water, so I'm not taking advantage of the main benefit.
    Secondly, I don't want to endure the "cold water
    sandwich" problem that tankless are famous for.

That being said, this heater, even though it does
    have a tank, is very similar to tankless in terms of its
    heat generation capacity. A traditional water heater
    has in the neighborhood of 50,000 BTU capacity (my
    current one is actually 35,000 BTU). The Polaris
    burner starts at 100,000 BTU and goes up to 199,000
    BTU, which overlaps the BTU range for tankless.

Correct, I don't have/would not install radiators, instead
    would do what the brochure calls "forced air hydronic." I'd
    install an air handler (basically a blower with a heat
    exchanger), that then pushes the air through my
    existing forced air ductwork. This would have to duplicate
    the function of my current 80,000 BTU furnace.

It would be good to find someone who's either done this
    approach, or has heavily researched it. The last thing
    I want to do is ditch a known workable solution (furnace
    + water heater) for a solution that is theoretically much
    better but in real life is crappy.

15. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked at them, too, but also decided they were not suitable, mostly because we would have needed about three of them. One would not have been up to the simultaneous tasks of showers, dishwashing, laundry, and heating a large older home.

We went with an over 90% efficient boiler for both domestic and hydronic. The biggest efficiency difference is probably the pumps - the system we replaced was originally coal-fired (later converted to natural gas) and relied on the heat to circulate itself. The kitchen had a wood stove with a water jacket and a small tank in the closet. The original home owners had to chop wood before doing the dishes or having a bath. At least it had indoor plumbing. ;)

16. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unless you can find a local installer who has experience with these systems, I would tend to shy away from it for that reason and instead look for a condensing water heater and furnace.

But if you don't use much hot water (for example, my house only uses about 7 therms/mo for heating water, or about $7/mo at current gas prices), that's less than $100/year and condensing water heaters cost a lot more than your typical 80% water heater.

Now, replacing my 30 yo furnace with a 95% variable speed unit reduced gas consumption by over 3x! Worst month went from 70 therms to 20 therms and cut the gas bill over $100 as gas rates are tiered here - so the more you use the more you pay per therm.

In the non-heating months the pilot light alone used about the same amount of gas as my standard water heater.

When I replaced my furnace I also opted to add an AC/heat-pump so that I'd have the option of heating with electricity for a couple reasons.

1. I don't think these low gas prices will last forever - I give them another couple years before they start rising significantly.
    2. I have solar panels so if I produce extra electricity it makes sense to heat with the heat pump instead.
    3. The addition cost to install a heat-pump was nominal compared to adding just A/C.

Now if you're not wanting to add A/C, it doesn't make sense to install a heat pump because of the cost.

Since you do have solar, you may want to look into a water heater heat-pump retrofit like this one - this you can add to any water heater. Since gas is go cheap right now it's probably not going to make financial sense unless you are generating extra electricity from solar unless your water heater is already electric.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I looked into these a few years ago. Back when there was just 1 or 2 units in the US that were an add on to an existing electric water heater. But you already have a heat pump. You already stated that it's a back up to the pellet stove, but what about the summer? You regularly use it for AC? If so, look into a super deheater. It hooks up to the heat pump to use the hot side to provide hot water. It might not be workable if the heat pump is off most of the time without a back up water heater though.

I haven't looked into the newer heat pump water heaters yet, but the ability to attach duct work was plus when I researched them before. This allows you to direct the waste cold air from the water heater into a central AC system during the summer. Of course they are more common in other countries. I saw a model line in Australia that had the cold side of the heat pump as a remote panel. Instead of drawing heat from the closet, basement, or whatever, the panel went on the roof to gather solar heat. A basic solar water heater is probably more efficient, but it doesn't provide additional AC or dehumidifying.

To OP, I think the concept is sound, and it appears Trane and other manufacturers also have a line of similar heaters. So you can comparison shop for it. I think it's just a question of how harsh your winters are. With severe ones, you might want to consider supplemental heating options.

18. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I understand, if you have regular need for A/C then heat recovery water heat from the heat pump is far and away the most efficient system out there. You gain two ways, first your A/C runs more efficiently, and the waste heat heats your water. Win/Win!

The equation gets a bit dicier when you only use A/C sporadically however.

Icarus

19. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I put in a Bosch AE125 Tankless water heater and it works great.
    Had it for 5 years now.
    Not sure what a "cold water sandwich" tankless are famous for. Never heard of that before. The water temp is very uniform.

It has knocked off $30 off my electric bill every month. Only drawback is it consumes 4 breaker spaces in the elctrical panel.
    It uses two 220 breakers. So you need 4 spaces or have to put in a aux box.

Pro:
    Saves $$$ every day.
    Does not consume any space. Wall mounts.
    No maintenance so far been 5 years.
    Bought it new in box on eBay for $100.

Con:
    Electrical skills to power it. Wire & breaker cost.
    Plumbing skills to plumb it.