1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Complete Audio Upgrade in My 2005 Pruis

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by scotk, Jun 10, 2008.

1. scotk

scotk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just got my car back from the shop. I upgraded the head unit and speakers. I also added an amp and an 8" sub. I'm really pleased with the custom work the guys did in the back (see pix) when they added the amp and sub. I've only had it back for a few hours, but I couldn't be happier with the sound and performance.

I know I mentioned this is an earlier post, but I decided to go with the following:

- Focal 165KF 2-way component speakers for the front
    - Focal 165cvx coaxial speakers for the back
    - Alpine iDA-X100 head unit (with Sirius)
    - Alpine PDX 5 digital amp.
    - JL Audio 8W3v3-4 8-inch sub

Attached Files:

2. VanMelum

VanMelum VanMelum

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah! How much did that cost?

3. Jack66

Jack66 Kinda Jovial Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did the installation folks know about adding a terminating resistor so you didn't lose A/C?

4. scotk

scotk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You don't want to know (and neither does my wife)! :D

If anyone is seriously interested in the costs, etc., email me and I'll email you a breakdown of costs/labor, etc.

5. scotk

scotk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, but I didn't know it was called a "terminating resistor". They just told me that there was some other part(s) that they needed to install (or something like that) so that the A/C would continue to work.

We contemplated keeping the original factory CD/radio and just adding the Alpine head unit underneath in that separate, empty compartment that sits just below the factory controls. In the end, we decided to go for its current placement, which (IMO) is a better location for ease of use, etc. It's just a matter of personal preference, I guess.

6. Jack66

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds like they knew their business.

Terminating resistors help the Prius computer determine what its network looks like. I believe the controller chip searches its network paths for devices until it reaches terminating resistors. Really an awesome pice of work, but it intimidates non-professionals. I'm not a professional audiophile but it is so cool to slowly learn about how the Prius works.

Enjoy the new sound system! :)

7. scotk

scotk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes. I was very pleased with how the whole thing worked out. There's really only one difference with the touch screen now:

- when you press the "audio" button, it says something like "audio disconnected"

Otherwise the A/C works. All the trip and energy consumption data all works just like normal.

The Alpine head unit is functional with the steering wheel controls, so the volume, etc. works just fine. And since I don't have a CD player any more (the Alpine X100 is MP3 only), they ran the USB cable into my glove compartment and my iPod connects in there. Once my iPod is connected and stored in the glove compartment, I have full control over all my music from the Alpine head unit. The USB connection to the iPod is very fast - there's no waiting around for my music to load or play in between songs.

The 8" JL Audio sub isn't going to win me any competitions, but for my ears, it really thumps. I only have the sub turned up half way and it's almost too much.

BTW - my wife came home from work tonight (she wasn't sure what to expect when it was all done) and she LOVES it. The first thing she said was, "I can't believe how awesome it sounds!"

8. kcopen

kcopen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey Scot, so i went to a place here and they told me in order to keep the climate control working they had to keep the factory stereo as part of the system and that he would mount it underneath the passenger seat so that the wiring could run through it.

I never heard anyone mention anything like this in their aftermarket install, just the reference to the "terminating resistor" above. Sounded like a bunch of BS to me but he insisted he's done many Prius' and that was how it had to be done. Did they do this on yours or is your factory stereo completely removed. This is a place alot of people have recommended to me in the bay area as well.

9. Jack66

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It IS BS. I'm looking in the electronics forum for one of the threads that tells someone how to correctly install the 120 ohm resistor and why it is needed.

10. kcopen

kcopen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah i figured so, i kept telling him that i KNEW that people did aftermarket installs without doing that but he was so adamant about it. I have to find a good place to do this. If you find that thread Jack, I'd love to see it. Thanks.

11. Jack66

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you install and aftermarket stereo but leave the factory stereo in place you can just buy and additional (opposite) wiring harness that allows you to keep the factory stereo plugged in. This would allow you to bypass the whole resistor issue. I did it both ways in my car and it worked fine. :)

Personally I think a DIN-sized stereo in the factory location does not look nice and is not never stealth so the extra work of installing it in the lower dash is worth the effort. That is just my opinion though. :)

I forgot the part numbers but from Best Kits the 2 harnesses required to install an aftermarket deck and keep the factory deck in place (and powered) are BHA1761 and BHO1761. I'll check the part#s in the morning for accuracy.

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jack, I have a pdf. from Metra regarding the 68ohm resister install if you need it. It's here at work.

14. Jack66

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks! Just trying to help ScotK and a couple of others that want to possibly take out the OEM head unit and not lose their A/C. Please post it when you get a chance, F8L.

15. scotk

scotk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey. They removed the entire factory stereo. I've got it sitting here. They didn't have to do anything under the passenger seat or anything like that. I don't know if it's BS, but it sounds like they only know one way to do a Prius aftermarket install.

I went to the local Car Toys here in Denver and I met with the install guy and talked about the Prius and possible issues faced with an aftermarket install - he said he hadn't done too many Prii, but he knew exactly what to do. He even said that more and more cars today have factory stereos like the Prius, and these types of issues are becoming much more common, and much easier to work with because they see it often enough.

Hope that makes sense!

16. kcopen

kcopen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the feedback. Definitely helps