1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant leak - Diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tupelo, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Tupelo

Tupelo New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2004 just developed a coolant leak. The past couple times I've moved the car, there's been a small pink puddle under where the engine was. The leak seems to be coming from a weep hole positioned between the two bolts of the lower engine mount. The hole is circled in red in both pics.

overview.jpg

detail.jpg

Any ideas what the problem could be? This looks like it will require removing the engine from the car and taking it apart to reseal something. This is more than I can do myself, but I want to go into the dealer as informed as I can be. Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you check the coolant level in the inverter coolant tank, as well as the coolant level in the engine radiator overflow tank and the engine radiator itself (need to remove the large black plastic cover over the radiator for access to the radiator cap.)

If that does not provide a clue about the coolant leak (engine vs. inverter/transaxle) then you might want to look at the engine head for a leak. You may have to raise up the front of the car so you can get under the engine and look at the side of the engine facing the firewall.

It is possible that the leak is coming from the transaxle instead of the engine. Note the transaxle coolant drain plug is the 24 mm hex plug a few inches to the right of the leak area. Also, look at the inverter to see whether any pink stains from dried coolant might be visible.

If you don't see an obvious source of the leak, then it would be quite reasonable to seek professional help. It is possible that you may have a cracked component causing the coolant leak, as there is no reason for coolant to be present at the seam between the engine and transaxle.

m.wynn and [email protected] like this.
  3. Jay Sand

Jay Sand New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, Tupelo, Did you get a confirmation of the source of your coolant leak? I just found the exact same leak between the motor mounts of my 2004 prius, with low amount of coolant in the invertor reservoir. Please let me know what the problem was - it will save me a lot of searching - thank you!

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a tough fix if tightening the bolts don't work. It's a rare report a leak there. Try tightening the bolts and if a high mileage car just keep filling the inverter because the engine and trans have to come out and the leak repaired and that will be expensive.. If a high mileage car best to just replace the engine trans assy with a lower mileage junk yard motor.

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Try to make sure that it’s actually leaking from the hole and not just leaking somewhere else and migrating from the outside of transaxle. There are many potentially leaking places above that shouldn’t be hard to repair.

If it’s actually leaking from that hole you need to remove the transaxle. You can remove the transaxle without removing the engine: DIY: How to remove GenII Transmission | PriusChat

edthefox5 likes this.