1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Costco Tire "Fee" is this legit?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was not sure if this should go in the actual vehicle forums, or what....

So, I need new tires for the Prius. Need to wait until October because I just smacked down tuition/et al for two alleged college students -- I guess my rant about the charges at a COMMUNITY college should be held for another thread.:rolleyes:

Anyway, taking an hour or so to figure what I want to buy. I checked Costco (They are having a great sale on Ecopia btw).

But, I saw this cavet under their fees and charges and I said huh? It sounds like pure B.S. Either the TPMS needs replacing or it doesn't, correct? A "service pack" REALLY?

If your vehicle is equipped with this system, an additional fee of $2.99 per wheel will be charged at the time your tires are installed. This fee is for a TPMS service pack that is required to maintain the integrity of the Tire Pressure Sensor located inside each of your wheels. If the warning light is flashing, a new Tire Pressure Sensor may be necessary, at an additional charge, to ensure functionality of the system.

RCO likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tell them to just leave the TPMS sensors and valves alone?

Costco are the folks I've been using, but have yet to bring in a car with TPMS sensors I posted a question on this subject here, a while back, and that was the consensus.

RCO likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So just a question.
    Have you ever been visited by 4 spirits on Christmas Eve?
    All motivated to get you to reform your perspective on life.

This is a fee that is less than $12.00.
    Given the discount that Costco routinely provides in regards to their tires, I really wouldn't sweat it.
    My guess is that it IS legit, and has something to do with whatever they need to do to transfer your TPMS from one set of tires to the other.

But you can ask.
    Ask exactly what a TPMS "service pack" is...
    I'd be curious.
    If the answer isn't good enough? There are a world of other places to purchase tires.

But bottom line, if you feel what you are paying is a good deal? Then it's the price as a whole. And personally, I'm not sweating less than $12.00.
    Buy a couple hot dogs while you wait and take advantage of the "Free Refilll" and you'll pretty much break even on the deal.

RCO, Raytheeagle and Stevewoods like this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wait a sec: the tpms sensor is at the back of the valve, which is on the rim. No connection to the tire, well unless they manage to damage it, taking the tire off. The charge IS trivial..., maybe ask them if you can pay for the pack, and then they just throw it away. Because seems to me your odds of getting out of there trouble-free are better if they leave it be.

Seems to me they're hurting since the advent of TPMS, which tend to be durable, best left alone valves, not needing replacement with every tire replacement.

The TPMS packs tend to be an O-ring or two, I think.

RCO and Stevewoods like this.
  5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The TPMS is on the back of the valve-stem (inside the rim) so requires the tyre to be removed in order to service the sensor (O-rings? battery?) :unsure:;)

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not following. If you're going in to get new tires, there's no pressing reason for them to touch the TPMS, right?

RCO and Stevewoods like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe it's policy, and perhaps a good idea to do something to them while you're in there.
    from what i understand, the battery is not replaceable, and when it dies, you need a whole new sensor.

8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cost, as mentioned, is not a lot. But, of course, we have all heard of principle.

And, as Mendel seems to suggest, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Took me some fifty years to get that ain't broke thing through my head.

RCO likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    having no technical knowledge of tpms, and forced to accept their expertise, short of being able to find opposite info, i would pay the 12, rather than delate a scam, something i have not been able to quantify. certainly, i would ask them to educate me.

RCO likes this.
  10. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I would ask exactly what the "Service Pack" is...and why it is needed.
    But without knowing this, you and others are only assuming it's not legit.

I googled the term, and found you aren't the only one questioning the fee.
    Costco should do a better job communicating what the "Service Pack" is...and why it is recommended or needed.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is somewhat like a "resort fee" that hotels charge. You can try to decline it but most likely it's an automatic charge, whether or not you use that service.

Costco is really good at resolving complaints to the customer's satisfaction. If you believe in principal, just tell them you're not going to pay it....they won't charge you. But if anything happens to your tire during that period, they probably won't take responsibility.

RCO likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    according to 'tpms made simple' sponsored by schrader;): whenever tires are replaced, a service kit, which includes valve core, sealing cap, nut and grommet must be replaced.

according to 'tire review' this only needs to be done if the valve is removed from the wheel.

#12 bisco, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
    RCO and Trollbait like this.
  13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It likely to cover the various tools from the car manufacturers to relearn the sensors to their new wheel spot, and check the battery. The sensor and battery are like those smoke detectors that don't require battery changes. when the battery dies, other components likely are near worn out, and it is easier to just replace the entire sensor.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, you don't need to replace the stems with this then?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no idea. it's not in their kit. what is valve core?

16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's just say I feel really stupid for paying the Magnetic Pole Reversal Re-Orientation Fee when I had my tires rotated and leave it at that.

RCO, Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  17. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's to compensate themselves for no longer being able to sell you an overpriced new valve stem---which you probably didn't need either.

18. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Schrader makes valves. I have three NEW never been used valve cores in my garage. They are the little things inside the valve stem that depress when you put air in the tire. They seldom need replacing, unless some kids unscrew them from your tire as a prank. But American tire dealers have been routinely replacing valves/stems, etc. for years as an extra source of a few bucks.

Is the TPMS pack just the new age continuation of this>>

And, I could be wrong, but as I understand it, you can't replace the actual "stem" without replacing the entire TPMS> which is why it is not part of Schrader pack

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be costco's method of offering a cheap up front price, then making it back in the fine print. how does bj's compare?

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a tire repair a while back, the guy tells me, $10 for regular tire without tpms, $20 for tire with tpms. So I thought it would be different. He proceed to just "plug up" my tire. Didn't remove the tire from the rim....nothing. Then I said, why the difference in price? He said I had a tpms, so it's $20. Go Figure!

Mendel Leisk likes this.