1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CR: 2014 Chevy Impala is Top Sedan

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Jeff N, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    For the first time in 20 years, a U.S. made car gets the highest score of any sedan. The redesigned Impala scored 95 out of 100. Out of all cars tested, only a BMW (97) and the Tesla Model S (99) scored better.

This means the Chevy out-scored all Toyota sedans including the Avalon. The previous Impala, last designed in 2005, had scored poorly. Another Chevy, the Volt, has been given the highest customer satisfaction rating of all cars for 2 years in a row by the magazine's subscribers.

CR's score doesn't give much, if any, weight to gas mpg since the Impala has a conventional V6 powertrain. The base trim comes with a conventional 4 cylinder and an eAssist mild hybrid version will be available soon.

2014 Chevrolet Impala is top sedan in Consumer Reports tests - San Jose Mercury News

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but it's still a GM underneath all the glitter that $40K buys.

Consumer Reports really jumped the gun on this one. The magazine used to be a source you could count on to find value and reliability. But I've been noticing lately that they have been praising redesigns initially and then conveniently trash them later on when reliability survey results from their subscriber base show that they have a lot of bugs that need fixing - especially when the model is "all new".

Maybe just maybe GM has turned the corner on this one. Wouldn't it be nice.......

TheEnglishman likes this.
  3. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome. It's like an Avalon without reliability, good reputation, or hybrid option. Not to mention that you'll have to say "I drive a 2014 Impala" to impress people, as any previous Impala was the most generic sedan produced in the 21st century. My grandmother's '08 needed the A/C replaced at 30,000 miles! Looks really nice, but I'd rather spring for a spacious Hyundai Genesis.

4. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It scored high but it was not recommended, pending feedback from their subscribers (next year maybe). Me, I've been burned by bad GM products over the years. I would never consider another one.

5. somebody7

somebody7 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been down that road. I grew up with Chevy's and last year bought an Equinox. That was the last Chevy I will buy again. I'm sure everyone has issues at some point but 5k miles in, the transmission started having issues(hard shifting/jerking). Took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. Had the GM rep test it out and he also said it was "normal computer" shifting. Traded it in for a Highlander and haven't regretted it. Sure the Highlander is more expensive, but at least I won't have reliability issues a few months into the vehicle(which I haven't).

TheEnglishman likes this.