1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard noise driver side - 1 minute fix!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jr Castro, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Jr Castro

Jr Castro New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Have had this Prius for a few weeks and noticed right off the bat that there was a very bad noise/rattle over rough roads or upon hitting those street bump thingy's. I was 99% sure it was under the dashboard driver side corner.

After researching & spending hours doing the following:
    I did the remove plastic triangle corner, pillar, pryed up in dashboard & looked for things moving & nothing.
    I also removed wheel fender & re-greased the brake pad shimmies & still nothing.

What I found was that it was the driver side hood hinge & it would rattle/vibrate & sound came inside making it seem like it came from the dash.

Fix was to simply put oil or grease where the hinges open/close.[​IMG]

To determine if this is the issue, with hood fully closed - give the corner a little bump/tap & you will hear it squeak/rattle.

I'm sure this won't fix everyone's problem... but if it helps 1 person it will be worth the post :)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and well done!(y)