1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DC/DC converter output limit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ChapmanF, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Has anyone found a spec for the output capacity of the converter?

All along I've been thinking 100 amps, because of that DC/DC fuse in the distribution block near the inverter - but looking again at the "power source" pages in the wiring diagram I notice for the first time that the 100 A fuse isn't the first thing from the converter: heat (fan and PTC), cooling fans, EMPS, ABS 1 and 4, plus the ACC, IG1, and TAIL circuits and a bunch of stuff including the rear defog, are taken off the converter side of the 100A fuse, and then there are more fairly substantial loads including headlights, ABS 2 and 3, IG2, etc., on the battery side of the fuse. (I'm looking in the Classic diagram; I don't know if that's similar for the NHW20.)

Does anyone have a measurement or an explicit spec for the maximum design output current for the converter? Has anyone found the output current at which the converter asserts the IDH signal asking the climate control to avoid PTC heat? (Hmm ... I wonder if IDH comes on at a fixed current, or depends on something like converter temperature).

Thanks,
    -Chap

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For the NHW11 measured at the 12 VDC battery terminals, ~75A before the voltage sags:

Prius - UPS Project

Bob Wilson

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've experianced the whole "Voltage Sag" when pulling too much juice.

Some say you can't jump cars with a prius, I have found that you can. the car will drop out before blowing anything... over.. and over...

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a great write-up, thanks!

Might you still happen to have the cardboard pattern for your hinged cover panel? It would be cool if you could draw a known ruler-length on it somewhere, then post a photo taken from perpendicularly above.

It looks like you didn't try the Hall effect clamp right at the converter outlet to see what its total output was while you were drawing 75A in addition to the normal loads. But I guess it can be inferred from your load/no-load comparison that the normal loads were about 23 amps, and so it was producing ~ 98 A total under your 1 kW load test. (Ok, actually that's an overestimate, because the base fuel burn doesn't just reflect electrical output, but all losses in running the engine.)

I'm still curious at what level of load the IDH signal comes on. Am I the first to wonder? ;)

-Chap

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I used the cardboard pattern to rough out the plywood mount. The cardboard is easily trimmed to fit and if something to cut too much, a quick note describes what is needed. Then I traced the cardboard on a plywood sheet with any corrections and cut it out. The final cardboard piece took just a little trimming to fit.

It would easier to take out the assembly and transfer it onto grid paper. Then I could post a small template that can be easily scaled. You're interested?
    I have a Fluke DC, clamp-on probe plugged into a DVM. I zeroed the scale and took the current measurement. I used another DVM for the voltage at the inverter terminals.
    "IDH" is ?

Bob Wilson

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am - that looks like a very tidy installation you've got there.

... a signal carried on a yellow wire from C4 pin 2 at the converter to A7 pin 10 at the A/C controller. The HVAC system includes a few hundred watts of electric resistance heat (a couple elements integral to the heater core and, for certain sales regions, a couple more in the footwell air duct) as a supplement in cold conditions before the engine coolant is up to temp. These PTC heating elements are only turned on:

• for certain settings of the A/C controls
    • when coolant temp is below a threshold, and
    • when electrical capacity allows

The IDH signal seems to be how the A/C controller knows about that last condition. I have not confirmed this exactly and I'm inferring a little beyond what I can actually find in the books, but my guess is that the converter asserts IDH to ask the A/C to disable electric heat, when the load on the converter is within some margin of maximum.

The diagnostic book actually makes it sound like the PTC heat depends on a set of specific load conditions (headlights off, rear defog off) but I suspect that's just the diag book giving you a guaranteed condition where you should be able to see the PTC heaters operate. It makes more sense to me that the real condition for suppressing the PTC heat would be a simple 'too much load' signal from the converter rather than a bunch of specific load conditions.

-Chap

7. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Japanese NHW20 Prius technical manual says the IDH is a voltage signal.
    less than 1V: DC/DC converter power usage is within the limit
    10-14V: power usgae is over the limit

Also, the manual says the rated ampare of the converter output is 100A.

Ken@Japan

8. Z50king

Z50king New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info