1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DDM Tuning vs HIDExtra

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jordanr, Dec 21, 2010.

1. jordanr

jordanr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I'm planning to purchase a HID kit on a budget. From what I've read so far, these two sites provide decent quality and cheap kits. As far as customer service, I've read both good and bad.

Looking through numerous pictures on the web, I've noticed DDM's 4500k kit shows a lot of blue when compared to other brands. Are they really like this? Or was there a change in parts? For 4500k bulbs, I'd expect very little blue tint to them.

The 5000k that HIDExtra carries looks pure white from pictures and videos that I've seen. Is there any blue tint at all? I read somewhere that the 5000k is labeled as White w/yellow tint. The 6000k is labeled as diamond white. Wth is diamond white?? :confused:

I'd like the pure white--daylight color for the low beams. My last kit was six years ago and I believe they were 8000k and that had a very obvious blue color. I think I actually got pulled over and cited for the illegal color and was told HIDs were illegal but he was concerned more with the color and wrote that on the ticket.

As far as fogs go...I'm looking for that golden yellow color. I don't really care what they look like when you're looking straight at them as long as they actually look yellow on the ground. Are there any brands that are relatively cheap that can get to the quality and color of the Philips Ultinon 3000k? Or am I just wishing too hard? :p

2. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have DDM's 5k 55w kit and its pure white with no hint of blue. All my 5k HID kits have been this way however. If the bulb is rated at 5k, then it won't have any blue tint to it. 6k is white with a hint of blue. 4.5k is similar to what you see come on cars with OEM HIDs

1 person likes this.
  3. jordanr

jordanr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ah I see. This is probably the first I've read about 5000k having no blue. Do you have any pictures of the light against the road or a wall?

iPhone ?

4. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the HIDextra 6K kit and it has a slight hint of blue, I wish I had gotton the 5K or even the 4300. This is my first experience with HIDs and I went with the 6K because the HIDextra website said they were the most popular.

As far as economical and ease of installation, I got the HIDextra kit on Cyber Monday when they were $29.99, which is less than a set of Sylviania SilverStar Ultra halogen bulbs (and about the same as a set of SilverStars), so I figured what the heck... Installation is truely plug-n-play, no splicing required...

1 person likes this.
  5. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am also running DDM 35watt 5000K HID.

Check out this video I made and decide for yourself - along with some pictures.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI-odfD70mk]YouTube - 2010 Prius II 5000K DDM SLIM HID[/ame]
    (WATCH IN HD!)

[​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. murasaki

murasaki New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my cousin the 35w 5000k Hids from ddm and they have no blue whatsoever. In fact, I'd venture to say there's a bit of yellow in it instead of pure white

7. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Problem with looking at pictures of color temp online is that they're not all white balanced the same. Based on the kelvin scale though, 5000k sits right at the "pure" white temp. anything less will have more yellow and anything more more blue.

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Concerning the OPs question on fogs -

Unless you're willing to go to HID fogs @ 3000k, Nokya Hyper yellow halogens (2500k) are the next best thing. They definitely give your fog lights that rally car look. They're also brighter than LEDs.

Being halogens, they get a little hot but they're within spec at 55w. I haven't had any issues with them for 6 months.

9. dirtpimp

dirtpimp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    JordanR,
    I have DDM's 55w Slim Ballast with 6000k bulbs. After visiting their store in San Diego (and doing some research on their website), the gentlemen said the lower wattage ballast (35w) will give you more color and less light. Granted they are still really bright! The higher wattage ballast won't affect the color as much (i.e.- 10000k will look similar to 6000k). I would go with the 55w with 6000k and lower your lights so you don't blind oncoming traffic. Trust me! If you want to play it safe with no blue-ish tint...go with the 4500K. As far as price goes, I walked out the door with H4 Hi/Lo bulbs and 55w Slim Ballasts for $65. You can't buy PIAA 4500k bulbs for that price.

Also for your fogs, I would buy the 35w ballasts with a 3000K bulb if you want that yellowish color. Stay away from the 55w on your fogs. They'll melt.

As far as DDM Service, its ok. Just be prepared to wait a minimum 7-10 days before they ship. I ordered mine online and happened to be in San Diego a couple days after. Picked em up and saved $15 in shipping.

1 person likes this.
  10. jordanr

jordanr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I placed an order with HIDextra around Christmas for 35w 5000k and 35w 3000k. The bulbs came in a day or two after Christmas. I figured I'd spend a little more for better customer service and shipping time. The 3000k bulbs have quite a bit of green in them so I emailed them and sent them pics. They replied the next day and said they would send out new bulbs...should be coming in sometime this week. Overall, very satisfied with them.

11. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I notice on the HIDextra site they say 5000K is OEM, which is not true...OEM HIDs are 4300K...pretty sure the Prius V LEDs are 4300K as well.

how are the 5000K ??? white white or yellowish white?

did the kit come with the relay/direct wire harness to the (+) and (-) for the lo beams? doesn't indicate yes or no on the site.

12. marshac

marshac New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I got a 5k kit for my 2010 Prius from HIDextra in the summer of '09- the color is pretty white, with maybe just a hint of blue- it's similar to what you would have seen on a 2000 model-year Lexus (before the warmer HIDs became more common). A wiring harness did not come with the kid- that was a separate item to purchase.

Last summer (2010) the relay in my wiring harness failed- I replaced it with a new relay from Autozone and was good to go.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Green is what you want. Those are 3000k. That's the racing look.

If you want more yellow you go to 2500k, but I don't think they make HIDs that way. My Nokya halogens are 2500k but I'd prefer the yellow-green look that you have.

My guess is your new bulbs will look the same.

14. bioman

bioman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where is everyone mounting their ballasts?

15. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II