1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dead battery after recall service?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by blizzardprius714, Oct 5, 2014.

1. blizzardprius714

blizzardprius714 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius had to get a jump start on Friday (2 days ago). Everything seemed fine that day as we used it a couple more times that evening.

then we parked it all day Saturday, and tried starting it today (Sunday) and it's dead.

So questions are: is merely replacing the 12v battery going to fix this? Could it be something deeper, like a charger not charging the battery? OR could it have anything to do with the service it just had regarding the " software update for motor generator ecu and power management ecu" recall?

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    It is possible that the dealer discharged your 12v battery which can reduce its remaining capacity. If you measure the 12v batterv voltage in three conditions:
    1. In accessory (press pwr without stepping on the brake - battery voltage should be more that 12v ( a fully charged AGM battery should be almost 13v) - Insufficient charging is common if you tend to make a lot of short trips.
    2. Press pwr again without the brake to put a load on the battery (you could also just turn on the headlights) - battery voltage will drop a bit, but stay above 12v.
    3. Now step on the brake and press pwr to get into "ready" mode - the battery should now be charging at near 14v.
    If step one fails, your battery is either weak or just not sufficiently charged.
    If step two fails (0.5 volt drop or more) replace the 12v battery
    If step three fails, you either have a blown the 100amp fuse or need to replace the inverter (a salvaged one is far less money)

JeffD

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The 12v batteries generally last 4/5 years or 70/80k miles (obviously with exceptions). Yours was probably due to be replaced and I wonder if the dealer might have just finished it off by leaving the doors open whilst they processed the software upgrades etc. I usually switch off all my interior lights before handing the car in for a service/recall.

But jump starting a Prius is a very temporary measure and the 12v should be replaced much sooner than later. Chances are it'll let you down in the most inconvenient place and the worst time of day in the worst area. Get your 12v booked in now and hopefully it will resolve your problems. Actually it probably will. With winter just around the corner it's especially prudent to replace it.

4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    test the battery; many places would do it for free. if battery holds the charge, than it is something else.

Agree with other comments battery should be on last leg. They usually go out this time of the year, when the night temps go down

5. blizzardprius714

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All 3 steps failed.

Also, there's a low annoying humming noise the car makes as well.

I'll have to jump start the car tomorrow for work, then get the battery tested and hopefully it's just an old battery.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you are able you really should take the 12v off the car and give it a good charge and then put it back. The Prius 12v charging system isn't as fast as a traditional cars alternator and by jump starting the car it is barely getting enough charge. You really need to resolve this as quickly as you can. Running the car with a failed 12v can cause extra strain.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    If step 3 failed (low voltage in ready mode) you either have a severely failed 12v battery that is drawing a lot of current from your inverter, or the 100 amp charging fuse is blown or you have a failure in the inverter. Stop trying to test the 12v battery and get a new one that reads more than 12,5 volts. Install it in your Prius and check step 3 again. If you still see less than 13.5 volts, then you have a more significant repair to do.

What were your readings in the three steps?

JeffD

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  9. blizzardprius714

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what you meant by "readings" as I didn't check the actual battery voltage with each step; don't have the tools (assuming that's what you are referring to)

I may just bring this into the dealership in case there's a deeper rooted problem. Ironic because the dealership may have started all this.

10. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    CCA is an unimportant spec for a Prius battery. ask:
    • Does it have a vent port? - a safety issue, but low probability that it will be activated
    • What is the Amp-Hour Rating - the old OEs had about 30 and the Exide is over 40
    • Is it a "Deep Discharge" rated battery? - Can it handle a deep discharge and be brought back to life by charging it more than once
    My Optima Yellow Top
    • Has a vent port
    • 36 amp-hours
    • Is a deep discharge battery
    • Has held up well for the three years it has been in my 2004 Prius
    JeffD

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You are putting your wallet at risk. A digital voltmeter can be purchased for about $30 (Radio Shack, Harbor Freight, ...). Good luck relying on your dealer as maybe 1 in four can be trusted with a failure of this type.

JeffD

12. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Every service instruction I have read in repair manuals begins with read the OBD II codes record them and disconnect the 12 volt battery. Toyota charges $230 for their battery. So I would listen to Jeff and see what Batteries+ has to offer I have found their replacements and knowledge above what dealer mechanics consider adequate.

iPhone ?

13. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of our company trucks had problems staring after the weekend. I put it on the charger overnight and then took it to AutoZone afterward. They tested it and said everything was good. A week later the same thing, jumped it and took it to Advance Auto Parts. They tested it and they also said everything was good. I took it to our local shop and they tested the battery bad under load. The battery was a Advance Auto Parts unit, which was still under warranty. For $40-45, can't remember, they replaced Advance Auto Parts unit, warrantied the battery, and replaced it (labor). So two parts places, including the battery vendor/reseller, said the battery was good. Now I know that they are fighting the warranty and their diagnostics are worthless. They bring out a electronic battery tester which cannot load a battery properly. A battery tester that can handle a load is larger/heavy and has to dissipate a large amount of heat.

#13 pmike, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  14. blizzardprius714

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, I can go try this out first.

Hardest part is always time.

If all else fails, maybe I can find a reputable local Prius/Toyota mechanic instead of going to the stealership.

15. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    BAttery+ open sunda

iPhone ?

16. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Where do you live (your approximate location should be in your PC profile)? That way we can point you at a reputable independent repair facility if there is one within driving distance.

JeffD

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  17. blizzardprius714

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My zip code is 92843.

Just found out that there's a batteries+ location near me.

I'll go there unless you can recommend another location.

Thanks for your help.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone else tried the duracell and was happy upon installation, iirc. my local says they will test your battery for free.

19. blizzardprius714

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Small update: I jumped started it, drove around for about 20 mins, powered off and it's dead again.

So this seems like it's more than just the battery??

20. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That still sounds like the battery to me. 20 minutes also isn't very long for it to recharge. Replace the battery, and then if you still have issues, you'll know it's something more.