1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer says the Prius sells at sticker: No discount. True?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jazzjunkysue, Jan 26, 2010.

1. jazzjunkysue

jazzjunkysue New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm totally new to it all. Help!

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on the demand in your area. Try all the dealers in the area. Have them compete against each other for your business.

say to car dealer 2 that car dealer 1 offers an "out the door" price of XXXX and can they beat that?
    Take that price to car dealer 3 and repeat until you've run out of dealers, then go back to the start until they can't play price mambo anymore. The winner is the one with the lowest price.

Always compare the out the door price.

1 person likes this.
  3. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Jazzjunkysue,

I *just* bought one, today, for under MSRP, here in Connecticut.

I went to Wallingford Toyota and dealt with Ron Jackson and Mike Cote. They were both helpful, no pressure, the starting offer was several hundred lower than MSRP and I was able to nudge it down a bit from there. They also had no surprise charges at signing. At one point I asked for all charges to be listed and he immediately complied - there was about $399 (taxable) for -all- of the various registration, documentation, etc.

I was paying about 40% cash, financing the rest. When asked, they beat the interest rate Capital One was giving me which also saves a few hundred over the life of the loan.

It was by far the smoothest car purchase I've ever made.

Very highly recommended. PM me if you're going to use them and I'll give you my name to mention.

4. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That sounds like a great experience. Unfortunately such is far and few in-between.:D

5. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

You might even try surrounding states:D

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here in Maine at least one dealer was advertising a Prius "sale price" of 22k. I got my II on December 26th for about 21.9k. And I only checked out two dealers. So even if dealers in CT aren't budging, going out-of-state will pay dividends. Of course, I don't know what package you're after and how much that package goes for.

7. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do some reading at Consumer Reports, Edmunds.com and similar internet sites. Consumer Reports even offers a suggested price service for your chosen vehicle...
    As has been stated above demand drives prices...no demand =lower and high demand=higher prices. Most of the early "rush" is over for 2010 Prius and will probably continue to move downward unless gas prices soar.
    Our Western NC dealers are cutting prices similar to other vehicles they sell. You might want to do a little internet "shopping research" by checking posted asking prices in neighboring states.
    Watch the inventory movement at your preferred dealers. Lots of Prius cars and not a lot of turnover.... = good buyers mkt.
    I hope you can take your time and ultimately decide what you want, how much you'll pay above dealer invoice (dealers do have to pay the rent,employees, and other overhead) and become a Smart Shopper. Your choice of a Prius is a very wise start.
    Good Luck! :rolleyes:

8. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You are in CT. In neighboring RI, dealers are offering discounts.
    If a dealer won't sell below sticker, then walk out.

9. PriusRoadWarrior

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was true when they first came out, but now you can usually find a dealer that will cut $300 to $700 off the price. Keep looking and don't forget to look on-line.

10. ADMII

ADMII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Try Berlin City Toyota over in New Hampshire. They will deliver to you for under $200. I've bought two cars from them, both over the phone. I've never even seen their building. They will have the lowest price in New England.

11. William Tell

William Tell New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here they just look at you with a blank stare in their eyes. No discount, but perhaps winter tires, or if you take all the options, throw in the AUX input for free.

Base price here in Switzerland for a 2010 is $38.000.-

12. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    38,000 USD? Or 38,000 Euro? Either way, that's hella expensive! I think it would be tons cheaper to buy one in the US and ship it over there. Given all the instruments are easily switched between US (MPH) and metric, it would be easy.

13. William Tell

William Tell New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  14. ALICASPIANI

ALICASPIANI New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ask them to see original invoice, if they agree, give them $700. to $1000.. YOU WILL BE THE WINER!!!

p.s. : If you are givinig $1000., make sure to get addition such as fist free oil chang and/or cargo netand/or...............
    good luck!!

15. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just tell them that they can't sell half their car models, you want a sale "period" at this point, make me an offer I can't refuse, otherwise good luck eating this month.

16. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My dealer said that they could sell the Prius over MSRP with markup and when I said thank you and started to walk, they quickly changed their tune. After they told me to give them a price that I was willing to pay, and I low-balled them with a price I knew was under invoice, they then produced the invoice and we worked relative to that.

17. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where in CT? I know someone at the Stamford dealership. I also know they offer lifetime free oil changes there. But congratulations, you did the first smart thing - walk away and think about it.
    End of month is usually a good time to buy tho, so if you don't go through with it this month you may want to wait until late next month. Catch them when they're desperate for end of month quotas to be reached.

- D