1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer wants $6000 to replace hybrid battery...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aaronlife, Jul 24, 2015.

1. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2005 Toyota Prius with 110,000.

Spent $3000 a few weeks ago replacing brake actuator/accumulator, front pads, and drive belt (all of which were original).

I brought the car in on Tuesday with lots of new warning lights, and they eventually confirmed diagnosis of failing hybrid battery (the car seemed normal otherwise, except quicker discharge and recharge of battery, no bars to green really quickly, etc..).

I tested the 12 volt battery on the display diagnostics and it seemed fine per elearnaid's specs.

Obviously I'm not going to spend $6000. The dealer attempted to get Toyota to help with the repair cost, but Toyota refused. I'm in Massachusetts right now, but I purchased the car in Florida and have it registered there.

I'll get specifics on how they figured $6000 to replace the battery on Monday when I pick it up, but I figure they want to send the car back to Japan to have it fixed, I think the shipping should be about $3000, so that sounds about right.

Seriously, though, I've read it's a $2000 battery from the dealer in many places across the country plus 5-6 hours to swap the battery and the other parts associated, should be $3000 tops right?

I found a place nearby in CT, Green Tec Auto, to install a rebuilt for $1500 with an 18 month warranty on parts and labor, plus tax, that seems reasonable. I could save $250 and get a 6 month warranty instead, but I don't see the value there in savings...

I could order the Dorman from Advance Auto parts on sale right now through ebates and pay about $1100 for the battery, or less, but then need to install it myself, or pay someone (I was quoted $350).

Used seems a bit risky to me, unless I could guarantee the car was running fine recently...

I think the $1500 sounds good. Just sharing, but any thoughts are welcome, especially on how a dealer could justify $6000 for a battery replacement.

The car probably isn't worth much more than $6000, very unfortunate...

#1 aaronlife, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yikes!:eek: mind sharing the dealer so we can avoid them like the plague? i don't think i've ever seen anyone over $4,500. or so.

you could try calling a few dealers if you're inclined to spend 3k on a new battery.

good news garage in cambridge has a good rep. you might see if they'll put in a new one, or a doorman. agree that a local warranty is no good to you in florida. if you buy it from a national chain and have someone install it, at least the part is warrantied.

all the best!(y)

#2 bisco, Jul 24, 2015
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never read a post from anyone that paid that high of an amount for a new Hybrid Battery. That would be a record setter.

Never heard anything about having to pay to have a battery shipped to Japan. They don't "fix" your old battery they just give you a new one. Core recycling is handled here in the USA.

I would look up some threads, there are lots of them. But the general cost of a brand new battery at a dealership shouldn't IMO exceed $3500 at most. That's a high end estimate. Including labor, installation and disposal of the old battery.

I guess my thought is.....no reputable dealer should be trying to justify $6000 for a battery. Unless you have other issues attached?

I don't know how much longer you would like to keep your Prius, or what shape it is in outside of the Hybrid battery, but I personally think if you can afford it, and are planning on keeping the vehicle a significant number of years more, then a new battery from a dealership IS the way to go.

If you plan to keep it a year or two? You can roll the dice with a refurbished battery. Stories of people happy and having success exist as well as stories of disappointment and warranty coverage struggles.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he was kidding about japan.:cool:

$3,500. is closer to low end for a dealer.

#4 bisco, Jul 24, 2015
    Merkey likes this.
  5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the dorman from advanced auto has a 3 year warrantee for $1100 its the better deal even if you pay someone to install it.
    I think a blind chimp can install a battery in less than 5 or 6 hours, the first time I rebuilt one it took 3 start to finish following the instructions on youtube... car back together and driving for a pizza
    3 hours total

#5 Beachbummm, Jul 24, 2015
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I needed to replace a 2G battery, I would not buy a used 2G battery nor would I buy a "remanufactured" battery - as it is unclear what rejects were put together to make that reman unit.

Instead I would either buy a new traction battery from a Toyota dealership or I would buy a used 3G battery from a recently wrecked 3G vehicle, and move the 28 modules into the 2G traction battery case. The choice would depend upon the relative pricing between those two alternatives at the time that I face this problem.

I wouldn't get too excited about the longer warranty offered on a reman unit - typically you have to pay for labor/shipping and who knows how long you have to wait to get a replacement unit.

SageBrush likes this.
  7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Completely agree.

There are however three wrinkles to be aware of for the owner thinking of buying a replacement, NEW battery from Toyota:
    1. Some dealerships are picky who they sell to; or will demand local pickup or always shipped. Call ahead
    2. The electronics and wires have to be swapped between cases
    3. Expect to return the old battery or face an additional 'core charge.'

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the first time I can recall giving advice that's contrary to Patrick, but I'd look for a remanned unit with a warranty.

If you're not comfortable installing it yourself, then a local independent shop ought to be able to install it for about two hours of labor ($200-400.)

My rationale is that your G2 is nearing the end of its service life, but you'll still want to invest about $1500 more into the car to get it drivable even if you're going to be replacing it immediately.
    It will give you longer to contemplate the next car, and a running G2 always sells for more than a non-running one.

The Clark Howard advice for repair/replace is to repair out to about the real-world value of your car. I'm weighing the impact on your lifestyle of sustaining 4-5 major breakdowns in a year (this is number two, I presume) and whether or not putting $1500 into the car (price of a remanned battery) would move the needle $1500 to the right in the real world value of your car.
    Getting an OEM battery or paying much more than about $2,000 on top of the previous repair might start to change the math a little.

Depending on the condition of your car, you might (probably now DO) have a lot of life remaining in this car.

In the words of Detective Harry Calahan: "............you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"

I'd do it, but I don't like making car payments, I have spare wheels, and I only live 3 miles from work. ;)
    Even if the battery is $2000, that's still only about a year's worth of car payments....and for many Americans.....not even that.

Good Luck!

9. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for all the advice. KH Toyota in North Adams, MA

I just found a used '05 Prius for sale on craigslist that recently had a new battery installed and the guy posted a pic of his bill for the battery; he's asking $4500 for the car. I'll post the picture of the bill so people can see it. He paid around $3000.

Seems much more reasonable than $6000 for a battery, so I'm going to ask for the breakdown on the battery replacement when I pick up the car and find out how they came up with $6000... maybe there is something else wrong they haven't told me about?

I'll have to watch the video on the battery install to see if I'd want to tackle it, but I figure the $150 labor is worth letting someone install their own rebuilt battery (Green Tec) vs. saving the money and the small risk I mess something up.

The car still runs great, even with these warning lights on, and with a rebuilt battery, maybe it could go a long time without another repair, but other than recalls, the car has needed no repairs since I purchased it 8 years ago, so I think the odds are that things will start failing....

Maybe an oxygen sensor, or something else little, but could be something big I'm not expecting.

So, I no longer have the faith in the long-term economics of owning my Toyota Prius after these two issues in the span of a month... and hence the enjoyment of owning it is diminishing. (Of course, my 8 years of fuel savings amounted to something, but I think I just spent that on repairs).

I used to be into Saabs, and I had great luck with the first few, but the last one, I basically became a Saab mechanic to keep it going at a reasonable cost; and one of the nicest things about owning the Prius is that it has been, until now, completely reliable and trouble-free.

So, if I am now entering the phase when things start breaking on the Prius, I think it is time to let someone else have a nice used Prius to start their journey with... for them it could be a value, but for me, I've already lost $17000 in depreciation, at least, and now I'm going to be into it for about $5000 in repairs, so that means I'm down $22,000 for 8 years of ownership... it's not bad, but the numbers were a lot better two months ago.

But, of course, I hate the prospect of paying sales tax on a new, or even recently used car, so there is no good solution going forward...

Not sure what the real world value is, it's a package 6 with leather, nice car, love it, but might only be worth $5000 - $6000, so I think with the battery, I'll have just paid the value of the car to repair the car; in other words, I will have paid $5000 for a used Prius with new brakes and a rebuilt battery. Not a bad deal, had I just purchased it, but since I already own it, it's as if the car has now been fully depreciated over my 8 years of ownership. I've lost any "equity" I had in it...

I think, as ETC(SS) wrote, my plan will likely be to get it driveable so I can reliably use it in the near future. Green Tec has an office in Florida if I do need warranty coverage while there in the winter. I'll sell it and put what I get into a fairly new vehicle, under warranty, and if I buy another Prius, I'll buy it in Massachusetts this time.

I'll keep y'all posted on what the dealer says about the $6000 and post the estimate if I get one printed out...

Attached Files:

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See the post below on Toyota Goodwill warranty.
    HV Battery Goodwill Warranty Listing - Toyota Prius USA | PriusChat
    Seems to me Toyota has been granting similar cases (way out of warranty) about $2000.

But you gotta make the call to Toyota yourself. Ask if you could get out-of-warranty assist.

This dealer sounds really bad... I'd have half a mind to go elsewhere but presumably they will give the deal Toyota mandates. You wanna go to big dealer in good standing which make lots of sales.

Is the 2005 10-yrs old yet? This is a little drastic, but if not yet 10, you could register in MA and now you got a CARB certified car in CARB state...Toyota still says their internal rule is that it must have been bought in CARB state, but I'm not sure that holds up in court for a 2005. Also not sure you qualify to get it registered in MA, but if so that'd be an interesting tactic

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you had asked about this prior to authorizing the repair, I would have suggested that you have a used brake actuator installed which would probably cost ~$200 for the part, plus maybe 3 hours of labor.
    The Toyota hybrid drivetrain is quite complex. When you consider how much could go wrong, it is amazing that most Prius quietly go about their business, carrying their owners wherever asked - with a very low failure rate.

However, eventually an older Prius will incur a failure from time to time. If you must rely upon dealer installation of new parts, an older Prius outside of warranty coverage can be costly to repair. If you can DIY installation of used parts where this is reasonable (such as the brake actuator assembly) then the older Prius will be very economical to own and maintain.

Therefore, if you are not in a position to DIY and do not have independent service alternatives that you can trust, it would be best to install the least costly replacement traction battery that will function, and then sell the car.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I didn't read the post very well did I?
    And my sarcasm detector was totally off.

I think $3,500 is a fair estimate.
    Read many threads within Prius Chat where averages are around $3000-$3500,

This quote is from an April 2014 issue of Popular Mechanics about the cost of replacing a Prius Hybrid Battery.

" Retail price for a new hybrid battery is $2589; with labor, it should be less than $3500 total. "

bisco likes this.
  13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Agreed. And given the $6000 quote for the a new traction battery I wouldn't be surprised if the brake work was overpriced too!

SageBrush likes this.
  14. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks Patrick for the thoughts. I used to do all the work on my Saabs, including pulling the transmissions, it began as a labor of love but became just labor; I'm reluctant to start the learning curve over for the Prius except for little things, but clearly I will have to if I were to keep the car... The brake actuator sounded risky to do as a first time DIY on the Prius, and I was pressed for time, I had a schedule I couldn't really change, and had to drive from FL to MA less than a week after I realized the brake actuator was bad. If I had more time, I probably would have found an indy Toyota shop and a good low mileage used actuator and taken the risk on the part, but with time pressing, and a long drive, I didn't want to risk the unknown factors. I figure I overpaid by about $1200 for that decision vs. used part and indy mechanic. The new brake pump seems a little noisier than the old pump, but otherwise the repair seems fine.

It was a big dealer in Jacksonville, FL that did the brake work. They wanted to charge me 8 hours of labor, but I told them I'd read on here it should take 4 hours (which I did read), so I was going to have to go elsewhere. Then he looked up that 6 hrs was quoted in their warranty reimbursement book from Toyota, so he agreed to charge me for 6; in other words, Toyota was willing to pay them for 6 hours if it was under warranty, so he agreed that was fair. Then, the service tech called me while the work was going on and said he couldn't imagine how it could be done in four, since it was taking longer than 6, but he was honoring it, of course, so I'm glad I let them do the work, albeit expensive at $110 per hour. I didn't want someone unfamiliar with the hybrid system working on the car. The part they charged me standard MSRP.. The brake pads were $180 including labor, so I was willing to bite on that, though I always did my own rotors and pads in the past on my Saabs.

Interesting idea about registering the car in MA. I could do that. I have another car registered in MA, and an apartment here, but I'm pretty sure they run the VIN and see where it was sold. I'll ask the dealer when I pick up the car, I'm sure he'd love to have the money from Toyota to do the repair. I will look into calling Toyota Monday, the dealer dealt with the regional rep, and I'm not sure if that person made the decision to deny me goodwill warranty, or floated it up the chain...

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Look if it was a Toyota dealer that did the $3000 job, call Toyota for Goodwill Warranty and tell them the whole story. Maybe they help you get whole.

What date was the car first purchased in 2005?

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I understand that.

I've owned four Toyota Prius, starting with the 2001. I first recognized the need to learn about Prius servicing around 2006 when we were on a trip to Palm Springs in the summer with the 2001, and the car died. The local dealer cleared the codes and said if the problem happened again, have my home dealer replace the engine ECU. The problem did happen again and the ECU was upgraded per the TSB that existed at the time. Subsequently it was determined that throttle body cleaning will address most of these P3191 engine no-start issues. This is why throttle body cleaning is recommended for later generation Prius although they are less susceptible to engine no-start than Classic.

Then, the 2001 struts and shocks were getting marginal. I called around to see what the dealer service prices were, and decided that at $1K per axle it would be well worth my while to figure out how to do this myself. So I did, and subsequently posted on PC how to do this when I did the struts/shocks on the 2004. Over the years I've posted several "how-to" in this forum, as the 2004 needed this or that repair.

For me, Prius maintenance/repair has become a hobby over the past decade, and I like the idea that my vehicles are maintained in peak condition while maintenance costs are relatively low. I've worked on my cars ever since I was a teenager, and most brands have been much more troublesome than Toyota - especially the European brands: VW, Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW - I've owned at least one model of each - in the distant past when I was living the yuppie lifestyle in Silicon Valley and south Orange County (CA).

The 2004 will hit 200K miles in the next week or so, and I will post on that thread when I have my obligatory odometer photo showing that milestone reached.

The brake system is not covered under the hybrid vehicle warranty or the powertrain warranty, so it would be covered under the 3 year/36K mile warranty which has long since expired. It wouldn't hurt to ask but I would not hold my breath waiting for a "yes" answer.

#16 Patrick Wong, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  17. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, I'm going to call the dealer that did the brake work in Jacksonville, FL once I get the car back and confirm the $6000 estimate is really just for the battery, and see if there's any strings they can pull on the goodwill thing, but being over 1000 miles away, they won't get the work, but maybe they'd help me out. I may need a new strut on my front driver's side, I'll look for your post. I replaced the strut towers in my last Saab, it wasn't a bad job, wasn't sure about the Prius. I get a creak/groan when I go over speed bumps or similar on the driver's side.

18. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not sure what the original sale date was in 2005, I don't have the paperwork with me, maybe the Dealer knows... I bought it used in 2008 when dealerships were jacking up the lot price due to high gas prices... otherwise I might have bought new, and I wouldn't be having this issue...

Fixing Saabs was a fun hobby for a long time, very gratifying to fix the car, but I was so relieved when I finally sold the last one. Not sure if I want to go down that road with the Prius... I'll have to mull it over. So far I've only done the little stuff like fluids, 12 volt battery, air filters, etc..

In the beginning I got lucky with Saabs, I'd buy them at the 10 year old mark for 1-2K, and generally need to put very little in them, because the prior owner had already done so much maintenance... cost of ownership with purchase and repairs was a few hundred a year... that strategy failed with the last one, I put about $5000 to $6000 into that car over a 10 year period, mostly parts except for the headgasket which I paid someone to do, but still the annual cost of ownership was quite low.

So far with the Prius, assuming it's worth $6K, if I fix the battery with rebuilt and sell it, I'll be at around $20K cost for 7 years of ownership, which is $2857 per year; however, I've probably saved $600-$1000 per year on gas over 7 years, so my savings calculated cost vs regular car is around $2000 per year. I can live with that, but with the Saabs I was always well under $1000 per year for cost of ownership (purchase and repairs).

I think if one wanted to DIY, buying a used Prius cheap would be the ideal way to have an affordable car, but I'd have to get many more years out of mine, with minimal trouble, to see a substantial value/return.

At 200,000 miles on your 2004, you have done well as a DIYer I'm sure.

#18 aaronlife, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hints Regarding Replacement of 2G Front Struts | PriusChat

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My Connecticut dealer (A1 near New Haven) quoted me $3400 a few years ago using the ECU from my old battery (a new battery from Toyota comes without a battery ECU). Some dealers want to use a new ECU which does increase the price a bit (but not to $6000!).

Why did you replace the brake actuator/accumulator and front pads at only 110k miles? My 2004 Prius still has its original brake actuator/accumulator an front pads at 277k miles.

JeffD