1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealership added the wrong oil

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by abra, Sep 12, 2014.

1. abra

abra Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I noticed (after a 700mile drive) that my low mileage 2013 v (lowercase v) best mpg was 31.5 (last owner avg was 41). Does the wrong oil (5w20 regular oil ) cause that much of a mpg drop? Darn (insert bad words here) dealership was being cheap on oil change.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no, 5w-20 oil would not do any harm to your car. You just have to get used to the car, drive it for a couple tanks of gas and report back. It should be much better than 31.5 mpg

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure you are resetting the avg at each fill-up. Also, long periods of idle without driving will reduce mileage, but not this much usually.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The Toyota spec calls for the oil to be changed after 5K miles if 5W-20 is used. So the dealer owes you an oil change in 5K miles. If they balk at that, have it submitted to the regional rep for Toyota. There's no excuse for them doing that. At the price they charge for 0W-20 synthetic, they could afford to send someone out to buy some if they happened to be out of it.

abra likes this.
  5. abra

abra Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    This is my 4th Prius, first v (lowercase v for the wagon) wagon.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In Tx, no way, 5W-20 quite thin oil just fine.
    The only thing sometimes we say if they overfill the oil that is not good for MPG, make sure it is not over the high mark.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they probably left your doors open, ran down your battery, and now the ice has to run more to charge it up.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How did you determine they used 5w20?

9. abra

abra Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I called them for there pre sale service receipt.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Since the dealer serviced the car, could the tire pressure have been changed?

11. abra

abra Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    All fixed. I changed the oil yesterday before driving back home (700 miles). The Air pressure on all 4 is at 38 psi (17" wheels), this may have to increase to 44/42 like all my other past Priis.

Any ways the out come was............... 42.4 cruise set at 77 mph on hwy (posted 70/75 mph) using the car cruise control radar system. This is the coolest feature created. 10 mpg increase from regular 5/20 oil.

12. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazing how much difference that small changes can make. FWIW, the CC is less efficient than normal driving, especially in traffic. But I agree its a very cool feature.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I find the cruise pretty good, watching the instant mpg on ScanGauge. On hilly roads maybe not so much, but reasonably level it seems to give JUST enough gas to maintain speed, pretty steady.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with checking the Oil Level...more problems if they overfilled. And I also agree with checking the tire pressure.

Toyota seems to suggest that you can run 5w...for one cycle, but then even Toyota recommends changing back.

If you are paying for an oil change, at a Toyota dealership, my personal expectations would be that the weight that is PRIMARILY recommended be used. I think I would call them and insist they use the 0W and change it. Unless they were out, and none was available that is what they should of used. And even if they were out, they should of discussed this with you before putting the heavier weight in the vehicle.

I don't think any harm is being done to your vehicle, but I don't think it's optimal.

Okinawa likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Every time I've changed ours I've put in the spec'd 4.2 liters, then run the engine a bit, let it sit, and check level. Without fail it reads a little low at that initial check. After a few days when I recheck, it's at the full mark. And it's a bear to read: the thin oil, and a dipstick design that is really prone to smearing.

In my experience, it's best to put in the spec amount, check the level, but resist the urge to add any more.

16. abra

abra Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Does adding to buttom dot mark, not top. Still work for extra mpg gain?

17. suzydoo_98@yahoo.com

[email protected] Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I Just purchased a 2013 PRIUS v from a dealer that had it as a CPO vehicle. When I drove it off the lot yesterday it had 280 miles. It was a corporate car and ( as the story goes) it was placed in an inaccessible area during the Building of the New Toyota Dealer at the site. At first I was worried, that this is just a story- but the CarFax is clean, I climbed under the car looked in every crevice and cannot find signs of anything weird. 280 miles on a corporate (2013) that was only titled/registered in early 2014? Then they showed me a couple of pictures ( on the wall) of the site- renovation... and sure enough behind several stacks of bricks and materials there sat a White Prius you could barely see. lol BTW: I drove 120 miles when I heard the "tale of the long lost Blizzard White Prius v"... had to see for myself. ANYWAY enough of that... they did not have the Manuals with this car. I am sure someone snagged them to put into something else they could sell.

My first long-term drive with the car - Home + about 40 miles today.... I have been getting 42.4 MPG and it seems to not mind going 80MPG (which I did on Alligator Alley)

SO MY first question is: How often will my Prius v need an oil change... I understand it is best to use synthetic which I always used in My Camry Hybrid - however the dealer wanted that changed every 5000 miles. I have been told the Prius v uses synthetic and it only needs changes every 10,000 miles.... Is this correct? I do not have the manual, so I figured I would ask....

We are now a TWO PRIUS Family...My wife has a 2009 Prius, I have the 2013 Prius v... Love it so far.

18. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The full manual can be downloaded free from Toyota. That said, the dealer owes you a set of manuals.
    5000 mile service interval, 10,000 mile oil change interval. Get the manual, don't rely on what dealers tell you. And accept NOTHING other than 0-20 synthetic oil.

19. zhuzhu

zhuzhu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am new here. Just bought a 14 Prius v. With the purchase, the dealer agreed to give me a set of "2014 prius v service repair manual" to go with the car, the same manual their mechanic would use to work on the cars, but now they say there is no such thing, they're asking me to find it and they will buy it for me... I have the "IOU" still. Any suggestions on this issue? Thank you!

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three