1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealership service department seems a bit sketchy....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dbfrink, Jun 11, 2014.

1. dbfrink

dbfrink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In January, my wife and I picked up an '05 Prius (230k miles, 'new, dealer installed' traction battery @ 200k, A/C had a new blower motor, new tires and brakes) from a good friend who had all the documentation on said repairs. The repairs were done by an Atlanta based Toyota dealership that I am not going to name at this time. We have loved it, it's been great.

The first issue arose as spring kicked in, and we realized the A/C didn't work. We live in North MS, so dealing the ATL dealership for them to correct the A/C work has been put off, and we drive it so much, having it put in the shop was a bigger inconvenience than driving with the windows down.

This weekend my wife drove to ATL to visit family, and on the way back, the ole Prius lit up with a smorgasbord of lights and errors, leaving her on the side of I-20, 40 miles from any real towns. Roadside assistance is called, towed 40 miles to Anniston, AL, and a Firestone Tire/Lube place (only thing open on a Sunday afternoon). They run the codes, come back with a P3030, meaning the hub connecting the 30+ battery cells is corroded or broken. We go pick my wife up and have the Prius taken to Sunny King Toyota in Anniston. Sunny King service dept dives in to look at the hub, comes back with it both corroded and broken. More importantly, they notice that the battery being replaced was never reported to the Toyota Tech Center that all repairs done at Toyota dealership get logged into. The A/C repair is there, the taillight replacement is there, the brake work is there, but not the traction battery. Sunny King also informs me that the traction battery is painted, notating a battery out of a junkyard. I call the dealership in ATL, they look up on their computer the repairs, and seem to have some form of records on the traction battery, saying it was purchased from a company that specializes in salvage hybrid batteries, and that the service manager at the dealership owns that company. I explain that it was installed less than 30k miles ago and I'm now running into issues with the hub on it, and that the A/C they repaired in January never worked. I was supposed to receive a call back at 8 am, after he spoke with his service manager (who is selling salvage batteries back to the dealership). I have yet to receive a call. I spoke with the previous owners and they were unaware that a
    used battery was being installed at the time.

I'm not going to drag the dealership's name through the mud until I know how they resolve this issue, but does anyone else see a pretty big issue with a Toyota authorized dealership installing salvage batteries that are sold to them by the service manager's side business? Not to mention the fact that they aren't reporting them to the Toyota Tech Center database? The service manager at Sunny King seems to think that this is way out of line, even if just on the non-reporting of repairs by a dealership.

Thoughts?

elementnomore likes this.
  2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Doesn't sound right to me. That's crazy.

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seems like you got your answer already by the service manager at Sunny King Toyota.

4. dbfrink

dbfrink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose a better question is has anyone dealt with anything like this, and was there any resolution?

5. walpoleauto

walpoleauto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If you can provide the paperwork stating that a new battery was in fact installed, I believe you have a case. There is usually an 8 year/100,000 miles warranty in most states on the replacement battery and some states even go up to 150,000 miles. If you can in fact prove the battery was recently replaced with a "new", then I would be on the phone contacting the state Attorney General. Dealerships are quick to respond to legal trouble.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    replacement batteries only come with 1 year /12,000 miles warranty

I too think the battery probably wasn't replaced but simply repaired. All Toyota repairs should be logged into their system before it's printed. If there's a printed receipt that shows replacement, there should be an online record as well. Can't have 1 and not the other.

If there was an agreement to install a salvage battery and not new, there's no reason the dealership won't do it if that's what was agreed upon. But if they were charged for a "new" battery and received a junkyard battery, then that would be a big issue.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much did your friend pay for the new battery, parts and labor?

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was it made clear to you when you purchased the vehicle that the "New" hybrid battery was actually a -new- salvaged battery?

If it was presented as being a "Dealer Installed" brand new hybrid battery, that IS very misleading.

This wasn't a "Certified" used Toyota, and so I suppose a dealership can refurbish, repair and invest into a used vehicle they wish to sell at any level they want or choose. I don't really have a problem with the battery being replaced with a salvaged battery. BUT...the knowledge that the battery was a salvaged battery should be presented upfront.

It also does seem like a questionable conflict of interest if the dealership service manager is buying salvaged batteries from himself, and installing them in Prius obtained at the dealership he works at. But I don't know if there is anything intrinsically illegal about it, as long as the dealership ownership knows it is happening, and as long at when these same Prius get sold, they are sold with the admission that the "New" Hybrid battery, is actually a "New" salvaged hybrid battery.

There also isn't necessarily anything wrong with a salvaged battery, BUT also in this case it sounds like the salvaged battery is a piece of crap.

Whatever happens, I probably wouldn't use that original dealership again.

I hope they can and do resolve your issue.

9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bought the car from a "good friend" who evidently had documentation on the repairs IE: Paperwork. But the "Good Friend" did not do the repairs, or buy the battery.

10. dbfrink

dbfrink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have paperwork on all the work done on the car since new, but it is currently in the car. Sunny King is going to fax it my way as soon as they get a chance. I have spoken with the people I purchased the car from, and they were never told they were buying anything less that a new Toyota battery.

Also I just spoke with the ATL dealership, who last night told be they installed a battery in the car and that is was a used salvage battery from their manager's side business. Today, they are saying they never installed anything, citing that they misread the file on the car. I told them I would be faxing them my paperwork as soon as I have it in hand.

The repair total came out to be around $3000, which seems right, if the battery was in fact new, which it wasn't.

11. dbfrink

dbfrink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now, my friend could have lied to me. I doubt it, but am not unwilling to consider it. They may have had a salvage battery installed, known it, claimed ignorance now, etc. What doesn't add up about that to me is the dealer admitting they installed a battery in the car, specifying which battery and the date it was done, only to now say they never touched it.

12. dbfrink

dbfrink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The warranty issue is null/void. It was more than 12/12,000 ago. My issue is whether they are knowingly installing salvage batteries and selling them as new.

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Toyota dealer I deal with in general warranties all repairs for 1 year. They also allow the consumer to decide on new replacement parts or refurbished to save money. If refurbished, the dealer is not responsible for defects on the part. I also had non functioning AC after having it repaired the previous summer and never using it. The dealer repaired it at no cost. Something about a leak they didn't notice the year before.

C6916 ?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    $3,000. minus blower motor, tyres and brakes might not equal a new hybrid battery. if it did, it was probably a very good deal. depends on the amount of brake work i suppose. seems to me, most quotes we see here for dealer installed new hybrid batteries are $3-4,000.

15. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm....now the Atlanta Dealership is claiming a "new" Battery was never installed?

Well if you bought it with that reality being presented as fact, I'd call that misrepresentation of the product being sold, whether they accidently did it or not.

16. nelson raver

nelson raver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    BEWARE! I bought my Prius in 2008 with "Free Tire Offer" but in 2010 I took it in for the 30,ooo mile service, I was told it would cost more than $400. I asked what they serviced, the answer was no more than the basic checks and oil change ONLY! I know it was a scam and didn't pay the $400. Recently, I took the Prius in for tire rotation. The Toyota Service Department took off the oil change sticker from a different business and stuck on their own showing service needed 5000 miles from when I took it to them for the tire rotation NOT FOR AN OIL CHANGE. They DID NOT show the mileage for the next service from when I had the oil change four months and 3000 miles earlier, extending the oil and filter usage to 8000 +- miles. The two Utah Toyota dealers will not see me again!!

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm surprised they let you have your car back when you refused to pay the $400, I wouldn't want to see you again either.

You can change the oil at any time, the sticker on the windshield does not control you.

usnavystgc likes this.