1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did I get a good deal?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by heygirlhey, Mar 30, 2014.

1. heygirlhey

heygirlhey New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently purchased a 2006 prius 64k miles for 11K. Taxes n fees out the door = 13K. It came fully loaded. Carfax looked good. One California owner, 20 entries of routine maintenance.
    Was that a good deal???

-Patrick Wong: I chose to get a warranty for peace of mind.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The $11K starting price sounds pretty good as per kbb.com, but I am not sure how a 9% sales tax and registration adds $2K to the final price.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    warranty cost. great deal, welcome to priuschat, all the best!(y)

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're happy with the vehicle...then it's a good deal.
    If you get X amount of years of enjoyment and reliability then it was a good deal.

There is no "Super Red Flag" in any of the information you have shared that would suggest there was an intrinsic problem with your deal. Having a warranty on a vehicle of that age IS a nice hedge against potential problems or worries.

So enjoy your Prius. Good Deal? Maybe....Your Deal...certainly.

The key, is really are you happy with the deal you got? If you are...you don't need anyone to tell you it whether it was a good deal or not.

5. heygirlhey

heygirlhey New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well as a first time car buyer I just wanted to make sure I didnt get a screwy deal. sheesh.

bisco likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I said, with the information you shared, (obviously I can't hands on see, or evaluate the vehicle)...no big red flags are popping up in my mind.

Not a "screwy" deal.

Enjoy your new Prius.

7. heygirlhey

heygirlhey New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this car still qualify for the CARB thing that Ive read about on this site?

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMO, if you think you got a good deal, then that is what is most important. With any used car you should expect to have to make some sort of repair sooner or later. Gen II Prius is a good car and should prove to be reliable. Maintenance is the key issue is longevity of any vehicle. Luck also helps.

My best advice is this. First time car buyers sometimes overextend themselves on a purchase price. As long as you have adequate funds in your budget and funds set aside for emergency use you should do fine. I am aware you did get a warranty with it. Make sure you understand what the warranty covers and what is doesn't. That way you won't get hit with any surprises in the event of a major repair.

Best of luck to you and "Welcome to Prius Chat".

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It sounds like you paid ~$900 for the warranty, so I hope that it at minimum will cover the engine, transaxle, and air conditioning systems. For example, is the engine coolant pump covered? Is the transaxle (which contains two motor generators) covered? If the multifunction display fails (which provides the user touch screen interface to the air conditioning and stereo system) will that be covered?

Yes, if the car has been continuously registered and operated in California. The hybrid vehicle system and emissions warranties are extended in California and other states that adopted CARB standards.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it was originally purchased in cali, and has remained in cali, then yes, 10 years/150,000 miles on hybrid components.

11. heygirlhey

heygirlhey New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was from SAFEGUARD, the platinum one. That was the only one that covered the battery.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably no need to cover the traction battery since the manufacturer's warranty covers it for 10 years/150K miles - unless your aftermarket warranty has a longer term beyond that.

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Read the terms of the warranty. That way you will know exactly what is and what is not covered.

Googling "Safeguard Platinum Warranty" really doesn't reveal much of anything.