1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did your Prius come with a bottle of "Vehicle Shield Protection"?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BoosPrius, May 20, 2006.

1. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

actually, the bottle says both "Sealant Cleaner" and "Vehicle Shield Protection" on the front. I noticed it in my glove compartment after I got home from the dealer the day I bot my Prius. The sticker on my car's window included that $349 charge that supposedly includes sound proofing and a few other things. The salesman reduced that to $99 but, other than paying for a rental car if I have to leave my Prius at the dealer over night for warranty work, I figured it was mostly a phony charge, which I have since been told it was. But I'm wondering if the bottle of Vehicle Shield Protection comes with every Prius, or just the oens tht have the $349 charge on the invoice.

BTW, if you also received the bottle, did you use it? Do you think it's a b.s. item, or has some real value? Thanx.

Gary
    2006 Prius
    Super White

2. GrepTar

GrepTar New Member

It came with mine, and I didn't pay for any extras.

I think this is the same stuff they put on Knight Rider to make it bullet proof. I used mine all up right away.

3. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

Did not get any such bottle with my 06.
    And I also did not opt for that additional option.

4. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is a bit much $99 for one bottle- must be strong stuff (grin). Just kidding.

That was a specific dealer supplied item. You might want to check who make it (there may be small print on it) and look up the manufacturer's website.

Most just use Zano or Meguiars or whatever suits their fancy.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No bottle with my '04. Also no dealer extras other than floor mats and mud guards, which I wanted.

6. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BayouBulldog @ May 20 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]258591[/snapback]</div>

Well, you got the "treatment" from the Southeastern Region. Don't feel alone because the Gulf States Region does the same thing. These two regions are privately owned and some way manage to "offer" stuff that Toyota America has little control over. Essentially, he "special coating" is a local/POE add-on designed to increase the profit margin on the car. It's my understanding that at one time this "option" was offered(?) by the dealer/distributor and you were not really asked about whether you wanted it or not. :angry:

7. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst @ May 20 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]258683[/snapback]</div>

Are you sure it's just a regional thing? It's one of the listed options on Toyota's web site rather than something listed on my dealer's web site. Here is how it's described on Toyota's site:

"Vehicle Shield Package
    -Lusterizing Sealant
    -Sound Shield
    -Sealant Cleaner
    -Rental Car Assistance"

The bottle I was referring to is the 3rd of the 4 items listed in that package. The list price for the package is $349. I paid $99 for it. I figure the bottle of Sealant Cleaner is probably worth about $10, the Rental Car Assistance is probably worth about $40 to $50 (for 3 years coverage). I have no idea what the "Sound Shield" is, or if it's worth the other $40 to $50 that I paid. I suspect it's a new play on the old "rust proofing" con job dealers used to sell. But I am curious as to whether it has any legitimacy at all, if anyone knows.

Gary

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    SET adds that on to every car that comes through their port. some dealers are willing to not charge you for it, some will refuse to charge you any less than the standard price of 615 or something.

they spray on some sound shield at port. they don't put anything on the paint job. they also do that vin etching thing.

so in essence, what you're getting is a undercoating, vin etching and a very expensive bottle of cheap who-knows-what.

sounds like gulf states is doing something similar but maybe not as outrageous.

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BayouBulldog @ May 20 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]258707[/snapback]</div>
    Based upon your zip code or IP address, you are redirected to the SE region distributor's website. You will not find these options listed on the official website of Toyota Motor Corporation, USA.

10. RedVeragoe

RedVeragoe New Member

I used to work for a company who marketed those "special" sealants, undercoatings and other costly applications to car dealers and car accessory manufacturers.

It's basically the same chemicals coming out of the same 2 or 3 factories. The middle-man just makes up a name themselves "UltraShield" or "SuperProtect" for example and sells them to car dealers cheap, who resell them to us, NOT cheap.Or, in the case of big autodealers, the dealer themself can create their own name and label and have the facotgry rep make up their own "unique" array of car care products.

It's all out of the same vat, only the names have been changed to keep the money rolling in. Prius is no exception - it just has an easier time of it by taking advantage of the Prious owners' sense of "specialness" and comradery. :(