1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Diesel Exhaust Linked To Lung Cancer

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by zenMachine, Mar 5, 2012.

1. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an on-road engine with much tighter regulations. Just because it burns the same fuel doesn't mean it's equally bad for causing cancer. Newer buses can have emissions cleaner than the ambient air in urban environments.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...yes I agree and Fuzzy1 had a good point re: heavy diesel.
    What the heck is heavy diesel? Ships run on heavy diesel that is nothing like regular diesel. Believe we may be debating an article that lacks much value as it stands.

3. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Phase-in started in 1996, but yeah.. and there's obviously a lot of existing units out there. Luckily ULSD helps with particulates.

Heavy diesel likely means heavy-duty diesel which for vehicles means >8,500 lb GVWR. There isn't a real definition for nonroad equipment that I know of. It is not likely referring to residual oil aka bunker fuel.

4. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On and off road equipment have different regulations they need to meet. Caterpillar stopped making highway engines in part because of emissions regulations but they still make engines for offroad equipment.

5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I still find it interesting that with the increase in asthma and other related disorders among young children that there isn't a clamor for eventually eliminating diesel school buses. There's still plenty of particulates coming out of the tailpipe. As for newer buses with cleaner emissions than ambient air, well, I can't say I've seen any in or around NYC.

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Are a lot of the NYC schools still heated with coal?

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think it is the kids on the buses breathing much of those fumes. The drivers behind get most of it. Do any school or transit buses meet the same emissions standards required of diesel passenger cars?

Similarly, the lack of Mansfield bars on the back of school buses doesn't hurt the kids, just the occupants of cars that run into or get pushed into the buses. Some of the crash pictures are pretty ugly.

8. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    think about people taking a bike.. instead of car to be more for the environment and healthy
    well no filter there like in your car.

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Our latest buses are clean emissions and often with hybrids systems. The new London bus goes one step further than hybrid busses. [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Bus_for_London]New Bus for London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The problem is that buses have a long service life and rack up many many miles. Unfortunately the small bus company in our town are holding onto their buses longer and longer. The super double deckers with leather seats that were once the envy of other towns are now about 8 or 10 years old and comply with poor emission legislation. Our school buses are just the 10 year old buses removed from daily service, painted yellow and stuck on the school run. Not very clean on emissions, though I do see them getting spot checked every 6 months or so.

What's the answer?

10. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) is replacing its diesel fleet with CNG buses and vans. Perhaps school buses will go this route eventually?

http://transportationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/03/dart-to-update-board-on-police.html

... In addition, the board will get a sneak-peak of the new buses that will begin replacing DART's aging fleet of coaches in 2013.

DART has ordered 459 of the 40- and 30-foot buses, the largest order for compress-natural gas vehicles in the country. The number would have been bigger, but DART decided to introduce a fleet of smaller vans as part of its "right-sizing" initiative that seeks to reduce unused capacity on its bus routes.

Approximately 123 14- to 17-foot vans will be delivered later this year.

11. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, vehicles over a certain GVWR are classified differently and don't have to meet passenger vehicle emissions standards. Even 3/4 ton trucks fall into the non-passenger car category I believe. It's rated in terms of g/hp-hr. There's a good article on the standards at Emission Standards: USA: Heavy-Duty Truck and Bus Engines

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...can you imagine if USA had historically gone diesel like EU instead of gasoline?
    With all the miles driven here, we would have been smoked out.

13. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ridiculous! Next they'll be telling us that smoking causes cancer.