1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

differential? what chooses left wheel, right wheel

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by robertmaria, Oct 17, 2014.

1. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i noticed that to defeat the sit there and do nothing syndrome of driving on muddy lava that if i cock my wheel towards the left or right i kinda can avoid the traction control which then wont kick in until i reach a certain speed like 30mph or so. so how does the transaxle differential choose which wheel?

#1 robertmaria, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

I don't understand your question. in the C the ECU thats monitoring the revs on each wheel the wheel that rotates fast enough is braked to match the slower wheel if that answers your question great but it doesn't address why your turning the wheel to one side or the otrher has any affect on traction control.
    perhaps if you are in ruts the added traction by the tires avoids diffent sdpeeds. When wheels are turned slightly they can increase traction by the added contact by the sidewalls.. but if the traction is low the added resistance to rotation and forward motion can get you stuck.
    find a dedicated rallyist and perhaps he can help.

robertmaria likes this.
  3. robertmaria

robertmaria Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    thank you @mahout
    i had a Scion xB (5 speed mt) which i traded in for my c. i drive the same routes as before. the c can be a slug off the line. however from a stop if i make a left to get onto a main road flooring it, the c does itz burnout wheel spin like my xB very quickly. and at times the c is extremely lively if not quick. but off the line in a straight shot the c is a slug. so i wonder whatz up with that?